Yummy Turkey Soup /stew

1. Hi all! I thought I would pop in and give you my turkey soup recipe, for those wondering what to do with the last of the turkey.

Remove as much of the meat from the carcass as possible, save for later.
    In a stock pot add: carcass, tops from 2 bunches of celery (yes, with the leaves), 4-6 carrots, whole, 1-2 onions, quartered, what ever fresh herbs you have a around, 3-4 smashed cloves of garlic and 2 bay leaves, cover with cold water. Heat on high until it just comes to a boil, reduce heat to just barely simmering. Simmer at least 2 hours, up to 4 hours.

Remove carcass and bones and let cool. When cool, remove as much usable meat at you can. Strain broth, discard veggies, herbs, etc.

Chop 4-6 stockes of celery, 1-2 onions, 4-6 carrots (you can add more or less, depending on how chunky you want it) and add into broth, along with the meat and 1-2 cups of rice (again, more or less depending on how thick you like your soup) and any leftover gravy you have.

My husband loves this, he likes it more like stew than soup, so I add lots of veggies and rice.

Although the simmer time is long, the actual active time to make the soup is very low.

I love this recipe, because it uses the last of the turkey..plus gives me dinner for at least 3 nights, while I get my house 'back together' after Thanksgiving!

Happy holidays everyone :smile:!
  2. Sorry, forgot to say after you add the chopped veggies, meat and rice simmer for about 20 minutes.
  3. That sounds awesome- I love how you added the gravy! I have to try this next time!

Great minds think alike!!! We made a chicken this year and also had lots left over. We ending up making a FABULOUS chicken stew!!

Addictive Mexican Stew Recipe | Recipezaar
  4. MMMMMmmmm, this is almost exactly how my post-T-day bones end up :p. Minus the rice. But that's definitely a good idea. Do you have problems with the rice thickening the soup like a porridge? I seem to always overcook rice in soups.
  5. My mom makes something very similar to this and I love it! All of the yummy left overs are one of the reasons why I look forward to Thanksgiving each year. Thanks for the recipe!
  6. twinkle do you have any recommendations for altering the recipe if you have no bones? unfortunately i have a ziploc baggy full of turkey meat but no bones at all :crybaby:.
  7. You can just make a soup with chicken stock. Kitchen Basics (in the yellow box is really good, but any will do.

Heat the stock/ broth in a pot, cut up and the veggies, meat and rice, simmer for about 20 minutes and you're done :smile: