Workplace You're going to abuse me for resigning? Really?

Mar 10, 2007
So, without going into detail, I work for a system that is very, shall we say, insular. It's very hard to get "into the family" (no, it's not Mafia, although after today I might think so). They don't like hiring new people at all because they feel like they can't necessarily be trusted.

Well, I am not going anywhere in this organization, for lots of reasons. One is politics (lots of hiring from the same alma mater -- doesn't matter if you're B or C player, hey you went to College X!). Another is that all I do is push paper. It hasn't been stimulating in over a year. I am, however, doing the job of...well, about 3 people. Third, I am on my third boss in two years, and this most recent one and I have completely different workstyles; she is in my pants 24/7 - I have no capacity to make my own decisions anymore. As in, I had autonomy and now I lost it with this boss.

A great opportunity came my way and I decided to take it, even though it's a risk. No risk, no reward - and it's not like "the sure thing" is going to result in a promotion.

Well.

You think I killed someone's puppy. The head of the department basically got hostile, told me that people "would hate me for a bit but we'll get over it" "I guess this is an opportunity to replace you". (All I said to that was, yes, it is an opportunity.) "You have to give a month's notice, did you check this out with HR?" Uhhhh...no, WTF, I don't have to give you notice at all by law - I'm giving the standard 2 weeks because I am a professional.

I have been nothing BUT professional and willing to talk about transitioning my work over the last couple of weeks. In fact, when it looked like I was going to get this job, I started transitioning actually a couple of weeks ago, making sure all copies of docs were in the right places, etc.

The woman I like the most broke down and started sobbing and wailing. OK, there is other stuff going on with her but...sheesh. I'm not dead, we can stay in contact. What, is this some kind of cult that people who leave are subject to abuse? Because that's what it feels like.

This other gig might not work out but I'm glad I took the risk. I have the feeling when I get some distance I will wonder how I worked here so long. They be crazy. :hrmm::weird::cray:

Last edited:
Ridiculous. I feel for you, I quit a place I worked at for 17 years a couple of months ago, I got called a traitor by 4 different people.

IMO opinion it's the sign of a bad workplace aka you're doing the right thing. People are reacting to how it affects them and your leaving is obviously inspiring a lot more than the usual feeling of "gosh she did a lot of work, I better get ready for when she's gone". I suspect lots of feelings of envy.

Good on you for taking the risk, I'll bet it works out better then you could dream.

Ridiculous. I feel for you, I quit a place I worked at for 17 years a couple of months ago, I got called a traitor by 4 different people.

IMO opinion it's the sign of a bad workplace aka you're doing the right thing. People are reacting to how it affects them and your leaving is obviously inspiring a lot more than the usual feeling of "gosh she did a lot of work, I better get ready for when she's gone". I suspect lots of feelings of envy.

Good on you for taking the risk, I'll bet it works out better then you could dream.

Thanks, I'm nervous about working with no safety net but...I've had stomachaches for almost a year and recently just went to the doctor for what I was convinced was some kind of GI cancer...only to have him tell me to quit eating comfort food and I'll be ok. :roflmfao:

Good luck on your transition! When the stress from a working environment starts to affect your health, there's a problem. You're taking a risk, yes, but think about all the stress that will be lifted. Your next job may have its own issues, but I'd bet that it won't even tip the scales of what you're dealing with at your current place of employment.

I switch careers a year and a half ago, and I knew about five years ago that I needed to make the change. I was a teacher at a private school, and my third year at the school, there was some reshuffling and I was placed in the elementary classroom to teach a foreign language. One of the teachers in the room was a bear to work with, and her BFF was the second lead teacher in the room who basically rolled over and did whatever the first teacher wanted. No lie; within one month of that switch, something funky started happening with my right eye. I thought at first it was a stye, which I'd had before when I was 11. Then it started to fill up and no matter how many times I did a hot compress, it would only relieve the pressure for a bit.

I went to an ophthamologist and was told it wasn't a stye. I got ointment for it and went on my way. It eventually healed within several days. Months later, the same thing happened. And it happened one other time the following school year. When the first lead teacher moved into administration and was no longer in the classroom, I never had the eye issue again. Now that I'm in a totally different profession, I've not had the issue at all.

So, your body is telling you that you need to not be in that environment any longer.

Last edited:
Don't worry about them. They'll grow up eventually.

When I resigned from my first professional job, I was surprised that the co-worker who bossed me around and was kind of mean to me actually seemed hurt. I actually felt appreciated when that happened.

Wow. How long did you work there? Two years, or was that just two years ago when you started having a lot of boss changes?

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago, but I had only been at the job for 6 months when I put in my 2 weeks - it's the soonest I've ever left a job. I knew the first week that I didn't feel comfortable there; the boss was the worst micromanager I have ever encountered - LITERALLY standing over my shoulder, watching me work and openly said he didn't trust me, even months after I'd been his only employee. I was so afraid of a hostile environment, being a new department it was only him and myself working there...I was the only person for him to focus on, and I knew if I told him the real reason I was leaving (hated the job, him, and the environment he was creating, so I was leaving without even another job lined up)...I made up a lie about my mom having surgery that would put her off her feet for several months, so I had to move back home to help out. That way while he could say what an inconvenience I was, he couldn't constantly berate me for quitting and try to get me to stay during those last two weeks.

Just keep counting down the days, it'll be over before you know it. I remember the night before my very last day at that job was like Christmas Eve - I could hardly sleep I was so excited to go in and be done with the place for good.

what! Wow.

wow. How long did you work there? Two years, or was that just two years ago when you started having a lot of boss changes?

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago, but i had only been at the job for 6 months when i put in my 2 weeks - it's the soonest i've ever left a job. I knew the first week that i didn't feel comfortable there; the boss was the worst micromanager i have ever encountered - literally standing over my shoulder, watching me work and openly said he didn't trust me, even months after i'd been his only employee. I was so afraid of a hostile environment, being a new department it was only him and myself working there...i was the only person for him to focus on, and i knew if i told him the real reason i was leaving (hated the job, him, and the environment he was creating, so i was leaving without even another job lined up)...i made up a lie about my mom having surgery that would put her off her feet for several months, so i had to move back home to help out. That way while he could say what an inconvenience i was, he couldn't constantly berate me for quitting and try to get me to stay during those last two weeks.

Just keep counting down the days, it'll be over before you know it. I remember the night before my very last day at that job was like christmas eve - i could hardly sleep i was so excited to go in and be done with the place for good.

wow

Wow. How long did you work there? Two years, or was that just two years ago when you started having a lot of boss changes?

I've had three official bosses in the two years I've been there. Technically four, if you count the dimwit department head I was supposed to report to who can't tell her butt from her elbow. She has taken a month of personal time (not medical) since she started in February because she's emotionally overwhelmed, so they reassigned me again.