Your Wardrobe: Strictly Luxe or Do you throw in Cheap and Chic?

i love designer denim and i mix it up with lots of contemporary brands (not super expensive ones, but not cheap either) ...ella moss, james perse, sanctuary, young, fabulous & broke, topless, teenflo, mimi & coco, c&c california, etc. for work i wear a lot of banana republic basics and mix in some more contemporary fun stuff and accessories. i work in a pretty conservative workplace, so i try to fit in somewhat, but add in some personality. bags and denim are where i really splurge. i don't spend an excessive amount on shoes b/c i'm really hard on them, so i buy shoes from miss sixty, coach, nine west, juicy, etc. oh, and coats, i don't mind spending more to get a nice cut. i have 2 mackage coats i love and they were worth every penny.

i spend most of my limited funds on designer jeans, i go cheap for tops usually, like h&m, grail, and cheap marc by mj stuff from ebay. for shoes, i mix it up, cheap for tennis and about $40-50 for heels (which i don't wear much) and then i spend a lot on mj flats. i own 1 pair of boots, diesel which i got for $36 at marshalls!

As a guy, I think that we need to go a bit more upscale so I tend to go designer for alot of stuff. However, I also do have alot of disposable items in my closet. I believe that every guy should spend the most he possibly can on two (2) really fantastic white button down shirts that fit him perfectly, a black blazer that is preferrably part of a suit, a good pair of basic jeans -- none of the fancy washes or stitching, three (3) pairs of really good shoes - a black pair, a brown/cordovan pair and a pair of white sneakers ala Jack Purcells, two (2) good belts that match the dress shoes, one pair of neutral color dress slacks opposite of the color of your suit and one REALLY nice leather coat/blazer

From there, you can do as you please - I tend to prefer cashmere lightweight sweaters, structured coasts and jackets and designer sneakers ...those things fill my closet but I do have my fair share of Banana Republic and Zara pieces also.

On casual days, I seem to gravitate towards a pair of designer jeans, one of my long-sleeved cycling jerseys (don't ask me why, but I love them and they're cool looking), and my Nike Air Rifts! My husband hates these shoes but I've been wearing them for years!!!

Oh I mix it up all the time. I make sure my shoes and bag are always fairly upscale, however (but not too OTT) as they really pull a look together. Even in my avatar, you'll see a green short sleeve hoodie. That was a DKNY jeans clearance top at macy's with a $9 tank top, but you bet I wore Joe's Jeans and carried my LV Cabas Piano. And, the Fendi sunnies on my head.

I tend to skimp on shorts, tanks and flip flops. Summer is short in Seattle and it's not worth it for me to splurge, so I stick with gap, j. crew or norstrom basics on sale.

Am all about the mixing!

Can't afford to go totally designer with what I make, but even if I could, shopping at Topshop/ Mango/ Zara is still way too fun.

Personally, I prefer to keep to just one or two luxe items (e.g. bag and shoes or jeans and bag) in an entire outfit. :yes:

I definitely mix in the cheap with the designer! There are some great-looking, quality inexpensive clothing out there. And rarely can anyone tell the difference.
I totally agree. You dont have to buy all designer duds to have quality.
I mix and match. I also buy designer when it's a bargain.

On casual days, I seem to gravitate towards a pair of designer jeans, one of my long-sleeved cycling jerseys (don't ask me why, but I love them and they're cool looking), and my Nike Air Rifts! My husband hates these shoes but I've been wearing them for years!!!

Nike Air Rifts are the only trainers I own!!

I've got them in a few different colours and patterns, I normally only EVER wear heels, but my Rifts are an exception, I think you either love them or hate them!!

Agreed Gemski. I think they're the perfect casual shoe. On our trips to Europe, they're the only walking shoes I take with me. I hiked to the top of Crough Patrick in Ireland in my Air Rifts--they took a beating but they did the job. Our Irish friends teased me that my shoes looked like goat's hooves! Still love 'em!

Obviously, as a poor person, my wardrobe is nearly 100% cheap.

Changes in the way the world does business, with the resulting closing of the "quality gap" that once existed between "high end" and "low end" ready to wear clothing, means that even shoppers whose knowledge of fabric, construction, etc is around the "average" level can, with relative ease, find cheap stuff that will perform as well or better as the stuff with fancy labels.

I mix, too. The basics (jeans, shoes, black jacket, coat, bags, cashmere sweaters (I just love Max Mara)) I buy designers but than I mix it with a nice T-shirt, tops, blouse from Zara, Mexx, Esprit and it looks like a million $.
Those basic last forever so for me it makes sense to invest more because that turns out cheaper than buying every year a new e.g. 100$ cashmere sweater.

It sounds like a majority of the posters here agree that at least bags, jeans, and accessories are really the only Designer things needed. With Jeans the need to spend more is obvious in the fit, material, and wash. A good classic Handbag (or 9) will never go out of style and are made to last. With jewelry, you obviously don't want a green circle around your finger or ear infections. Beyond that, it is still very possible to find great deals on quality shirts/sweaters/etc without them actually looking cheap (over the last couple of years I've found a classic Calvin Klein wool/cashmere blend knee length coat at Nordstrom and a fun Pink DKNY thicker cotton coat at Macy's Impulse both for less than $130 each)