Your Teen on Caffeine (DRUGS)

1. I was in Starbucks getting my fix when I overheard a girl at one of the tables telling her mother that her friends all go to Starbucks (2 or 3 trips when at the mall) and drink Redbull (and other high caffeine drinks) to get high. Apparently it's getting around that if you drink lots of coffee and energy drinks, it's the same thing as speeding off of cocaine. Then I see a girl at the counter with her mother (she was about 10 or so) and the mother (if you want to call her that-I'm sure she'd prefer to be known as her daughter's best friend) is ordering a frappucino for her kid, extra whipped cream...who gives children coffee? I am just stunned at the complete and utter ignorance of parents who wonder why their kids are high strung, can't pay attention and need Ritalyn (sp?) to make them act human. Not only the caffeine but the sugar and fat in those things...and I wonder why I see young girls with pot bellies and love handles hanging out of their too tight jeans.

2. I see this alot, I don't know to the extreme of trying to get high, but at least the wanting coffee....my 13 old asks alot...9 out of 10 times the answer is no, and he is good about it. Once in awhile I will surprise him and say yes...for an A on a big test or babysitting his little brother, stuff like that.

I try hard not to judge other parents when I see stuff like that, maybe you caught the one time mom was treating her daugher, kwim?

3. This is good information. Now I know that when I give kids coffee, I should not tell their parents.

4. Well I let my kids drink coffee sometimes from Starbucks, but I ALWAYS get them DECAF. I always drink decaf as well. I don't think it's that bad if it's allowed in moderation and without the Caffeine.

5. :roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao:

6. :yes: :yes: :yes: LOL!

I don't think caffine is all that bad. It certainly isn't going to kill you. And coffee has the same amount of caffine as soda without the sugar.

7. I'm actually suprised children younger than 13 actually like the taste of coffee, but then again, now there are frappacinos which are virtually caffienated milkshakes :rolleyes: I think until they know what they are missing, they wont want it, so if other kids are drinking it and say how great it is, then they are going to want it too!

8. I love coffee and have been drinking it ever since I was in kindergarten.......... NOT!! My mother always told me coffee was for old people!!!:roflmfao: :roflmfao:

9. I detest coffee and I am 16. At my school it seems to be the 'cool' thing to drink, but whats cool with drinking a drink you dont like to look cool?

10. My mom always said it will stunt your growth...lol

11. I love coffee, but Kids? No, I don't think it's a good idea. My mother didn't even agree w/ soda & now I feel the same way!:nuts:

Obviously age is the main factor here. Maybe 15 or 16+. And getting "high" off it??? That's ridiculous!

12. ^^^really it's all about moderation....even too much juice isn't a good thing, kwim?

13. I started drinking coffe when I was about 15. But I never drank it to get high. I like the flavour. Infact my mum was the one that got me started. She bought me a mocha frappacino and told me to try it cause i would like it. Also, I remember being out with my 7 year old cousin at starbucks and she got a mocha frap cause she wanted what i was having. she actually really liked it, I was suprised.

14. my parents told me caffeine stunts my growth too! i never drank it when i was growing up. i'm still short though, so i don't think it had anything to do with the coffee. i still don't drink coffee though, it makes me so jittery.

15. My mom told me the same thing! :roflmfao: