Your opinion on True Love and Eternal Happiness

I'm a true believer. My husband and I have been married almost 17 years and we love each other more now than ever (if that's possible). There's no one I would rather be with. He is my best friend, lover, and partner in life.
My parents have been married for 57 years and are still incredibly in love and best friends.
We always make sure to have alone time for ourselves w/out the kids and we try to always listen to each other.

I am going to ditto what Castrocreations said...I knew I would marry my husband the night that I met him...I was 18 years old. We have had plenty of problems...but I cannot imagine my life without him in it. We broke up once for 6 months right before we got engaged...and I realistically knew that if we didn't get back together...I would meet someone else...and life would go on, but I also knew that I would spend the rest of my life knowing that I missed being with the one person that is completely right for me....I think he also figured that out...we got back together, were engaged within days, and have been married now for 10 years.

I think you can be with someone forever, but it doesn't have to be true love. I mean, just because you love someone doesn't mean it will work out. :crybaby: I think the key to being happy and having love is accepting people, but also accepting someone might not be right for you. IMO, it's one thing to lvoe someone, and one thing to be with them.

Awww.

Thanks to all the ladies who shared their real experiences with love! It's encouraging to know that true love and lasting marriages are still possible in this day and age, despite increasing divorce rates.

It can get a bit demoralising sometimes, so hearing of happy ever afters are always nice! :yes:

I am a complete believer too..you will just know it when the person you're with is for real or not..no matter if you've been together for 8 years or 8 months IMO. My parents have been married for over 30 years..still doing fine. Of course, there are off times as well...but I know I want to be with my husband forever.

I also think it's about being happy with yourself first.
It makes you a confident person who knows what she deserves, doesn't wait that a perfect prince charming will solve all her problems.
And it depends which concept of love were you given as a child. It influences how you experience love later on,how you chose your partners, if you can "strongly" feel it, and appreciate, etc.....
I am saying that bc I am with someone but I have difficulties to experience what love is, and I know it's due to me not being loved the right way as a child, having a unhappy mother (even if my parents are still married after 30 years).
I'm working on it though and yes life as a couple is hard work.
Exactly like our grand parents did, but were they happy ? Without calling quit too soon to the first bump, or after passion fades (usually 2 years- and comes companionship), divorce was simply not an option at the time.

I believe in it too.

I agree that it takes serious comittment and hard work to make it last. I think that it's absolutely possible to retain the feeling of being completely high with love....you both just have to make the committment to work to make sure that feeling lasts.

Have regular date nights, go out of your way to do something sweet for the person (flowers, a back rub, etc.), take the time to REALLY talk to each other about things (your dreams, aspirations, fantasies, etc.) and you'll never lose the feeling of being completely in love with the person.

I've been with my b/f for 5 years and we're still madly in love with each other.

Thanks for sharing your stories so openly and honestly, ladies! :flowers:

I agree with pretty much every one of you as I feel that the basis of a long and happy relationship is mutual respect and the will to change and work on things. I also believe that communication is the essential tool to the prevention of conflict as well as openness for criticism.

I loved hearing your stories as I got engaged a half a year ago and am currently in NY for 6 months without him, which is giving me a lot of time to think about my choice, and I have to say I am even more certain that it was the right choice than I was when I said Yes:yes:

This relationship is quite different from the few others I have had as my love grew slowly and steadily as opposed to being completely crazy about each other from the beginning. We actually started off as friends and I just fell in love with him as he is so well balanced, honest, caring and intelligent. Don't get me wrong- he is also extremely good looking IMO- but that really was not what made me fall in love or initial lust.

It was more that I knew that we work together because we respect each other so much and share a very deep commitment. We want each other to feel good and are very steady, call each other when we promise, care for how our partner feels about certain things and situations as opposed to only caring about how we ourselves feel about something.

Yet most of my friends were shocked that we got engaged after 2 1/2 years of having been together and living together.

That is why I am so glad to hear that, as you ladies wrote, one can make it work-you only have to put in an effort.:yes:

IMO, there will ALWAYS be times when u can't even fatham the thought os standing your husband or wife. They'll always do something that drives u up the wall! Leaving the milk out, leaving the bread on the counter, not turning off the TV when they go to bed, putting their dirty socks on the back of the couch, etc.

I do think that there is one person out there meant for me and only me. I truly believe in true love, love at first sight. Eternal Happiness...not so much. True Love and love at first sight I've experianced.

Lemme tell ya a story....

My grandparents met in Aug. of 1944. WWII. Grandpa saw Grandma from across the room and went to go talk to her. Grandma swears she never saw him. She dropped her hankie and when she reached down to pick it up...she bloodied his nose. They got married the next day. They had three kids and were married for close to 60 years before Grandpa passed away. Grandma lived 3 years without him, but she never got over losing him. That is a love at first sight story if I've ever heard it. I know there were times when they wanted to kill each other.

I think eternal happiness is an unrealistic idea because there will always be times when u'll get depressed. When you won't be happy.

But I also believe that you can love someone through anything.

True love is a concept I can grasp.

i don't think i do, anymore...
i alway think that true love exists in movie that will ends in 2 hours top, and the rest are as true and real as how relationships are.
sorry, i'm being very skeptical about this...
my 7 yrs relationship has crashed just like that... we're such a great couple. we understands each other, he always said that im his soul mate...
but 2 months ago he met a girl, in 1 week he said to me that he fell in love with her and all that ****ty crap about how all this time he felt that he miss something from our relationship.
i'm still crashed now, and things haven't settled between us...

I think it's kinda a crock. I've yet to meet anyone either of these things has happened to. lol

I think there can be intense love, but people are fallible, they will let you down, sh*t will happen, etc. I think its a nice thought and something to keep us going in this life.

Yes, absolutely it does exist! Sounds corny but I ask myself often, what I did to deserve such a great man. We are totally soul mates. Been together 10 years, married for 8. 2 gorgeous children & it just keeps getting better. We never fight (OK, I nag him a little if he leaves the toilet seat up..) We have never had to work at our marriage, it just all clicks so easily. He adores me as I do him. He still sends me flowers & love emails for no reason at all. He adores our boys with all his heart. I dated many losers before I met my husband. I knew he was the one very early on.. :heart:

There are times when I am "a million different people from one day to the next" as the song goes. You are very lucky if you can find that person to swim those tides with you and not abandon ship when the boat rocks, seasickness and all.

After 17 years of marriage, my attitude is "if you don't like it (or me) leave"! I have to be me and not just mom, wife, maid, cash cow, sex kitten(yeah right):P at some point in time! :lol: