Your favorite organic, chemical-free products

1. I thought it would be helpful to start a thread to discuss people's favorite organic and chemical-free products. I've been reading some disturbing facts about some of the chemicals that are found in our everyday products and many of these chemcials haven't really been studyed for long term use or for the effects that the multiple uses of different chemicals may have. I don't really want this to be a debate thread more of a product review thread. :flowers:

One helpful tip I have is to read ingrediants. Just because something is labeled organic or looks like its natural doesn't mean that it is. For instance some of my favorite Lush products use chemicals that I'd rather not use.

Here is some info. from the burtbees website which I think is helpful. I've been trying quite a bit of their products.

All products that are labeled "Natural" must: NOTE this ONLY applies to Burt Bees products - there doesn't appear to be any regulated standard here.

• Be made with at least 95% truly natural ingredients
    • Contain no ingredients with any potential suspected human health risks
    • Use no processes that significantly or adversely alter the purity/effect of the natural ingredients
    What "natural" is:

• Ingredients that come from a purposeful, renewable/plentiful source found in nature (flora, fauna, mineral)
    • Processes that are minimal and don't use synthetic/harsh chemicals, or otherwise dilute purity
    When a non-natural ingredient can be used:

• Only when there is no viable natural alternative ingredient available and
    • Only when there are absolutely no suspected potential human health risks
    Ingredients that we believe should never be used:

• Parabens — Synthetic preservatives that are potential toxins and endocrine disrupters
    • Sulfates (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate) — Synthetic cleansing agents that potentially damage the lipid layer of your skin
    • Chemical Sunscreens (parsol 1789/oxybenzone) — Synthetic sunscreens that get absorbed and potentially disrupt hormone balance
    • Petro Chemicals (petrolatum/mineral oil/paraffin) — Non-renewable byproducts of crude oil with potentially dangerous impurities
    • Glycols — Synthetic chemicals that potentially draw other chemicals into the bloodstream
    • Phthalates — Synthetic fragrance components that are potential toxins
    • PEGs or PPGs — Synthetic ingredients processed with ethylene oxide, a toxic residual impurity
    • DEA/TEA — Synthetic stabilizers that can react with other ingredients in products and form nitrosamines, known carcinogens
    • Formaldehyde Donors (DMDM hydantoin/ diazolidinyl urea/ methylisothiazolinone) — Potential effect of some preservatives degrading over time and releasing small amounts of formaldehyde, a known carcinogen
    • 1, 4-Dioxanes — Accidental by-products from ethoxylation (common ingredient processing), which are not declared on ingredient labels and are classified as possible carcinogens
    Processes that we believe should never be used:

• Ethoxylation, sulfonation, polymerization and unfavorable varieties of quaternization — Industrial processes using caustic solvents that leave residual compounds and impurities that may end up concealed in the final consumer product
  2. Here is a list of my favorite products:

Chemical free SPF. I love how it smells. The only downside in my opinion is that it leaves your face a little whitish - like it doesn't blend that well. Then again it doesn't bother my facial skin the way many sunscreens do.

Baby bee apricot oil - this contains no mineral oils but works better then a mineral oil in my opinion and smells great. I use a little tiny bit (a capful or two in the bath) for the smell and because it leaves my skin very soft. Does coat the tub a little bit though. I also use this as a lotion.

Baby bee buttermilk bath pint, another great bath product. Softens the water and leaves a great smell.

Therapeutic bath crystals. Works well after a work out or when you're a little achy.

Milk and honey body lotion. I'm a little less thrilled about the lotions, but I think its important to get a natural product because of how it stays on your skin. They feel ok, a little almost waxy, then again I haven't noticed any changes in my skin since switching over. I've also tried the Honey and Orange Wax body lotion. These products do smell great.

3. Soap bark and chamomile facial cleanser. This one I'm not that crazy about, its ok, but the smell and the texture don't really thrill me. I prefer a facial cleanser with just a little exfoliant.

Rose water and glycerin toner - this is amazing! I love the smell and it works as great as my other toner, even better. This isn't a super strong one though - so if you need that you might want to try witch hazel.

Pepermint foot lotion. This is great! Just as good as the chemical laden foot lotions that I had.

Coconut foot lotion -this is a little oily. But then some people love it. It smells great and works well if you put some on your feet and then wear socks overnight.

4. I'd love to hear from others! Especially over TPF members in the EU where I've heard product standerds are much stricter. There is also some good info. on the Burt Bees website. And just again because something is sold in a health food store doesn't mean it doesn't have some creepy chemicals. I've read the labels!

Btw. I haven't found a great deep conditioner yet.

Their grapefruit deep conditioner is ok, but just doesn't hold up to my other products.
  5. ^^ im seeing a pattern here :smile: i would add to that list burts bees cuticle wax, garden tomato toner, and lip balm (but not the honey flavored one)
  6. ^^^
    Yeah, I'd LOVE to breach out to other brands. But its hard to find good ones. I want to try some of the Stella M. products, but so far they didn't really smell all that great to me. Maybe they work well though!
  7. After finding out about Pantene and doing some research and learning the majority of hair care shampoos use sulfates, I decided to go the organic route with Giovanni Hair Care. I LOVE this stuff. I will never use chemical shampoos and conditioners again.

I agree about doing research on natural and organic stuff!
    smpoo.jpg conditioaner.jpg
  8. I really love Avalon Organics Biotin-B hair conditioner! The shampoo isnt my favorite but the conditioner is winderful! my hair feels great after I use it. Desert Essence lip balms are great too
  9. Wordpast, what style of Giovanni are you using, and how does your hair feel now as opposed to before? Does it also help colored hair?
  10. ^^ I am using the Golden Wheat Shampoo and 50:50 Balanced Remoisturizer shampoo.

I can feel a difference. Now my hair is more....I'm trying to think of a good word.... but I guess softer? When I apply the moisturizer in the shower and I'm running my fingers through it (detangles like a charm BTW!!!) it feels almost silky. I'm used to washing and conditioning my hair and it's never felt like that.

I can also see a difference. I've noticed that my curls are more perfect ringlet-like as apposed to to crazy unruly- like.

I'm not to sure about colored hair though :sad:
  11. here are some of my favorites:

Ren Skincare: Lipovector Peptide Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream

here's the link to what they use, or better yet, what they don't use in their products:

Juice Beauty: Green Appple Peel

Juice Beauty Skincare Is Up To 95% Certified Organic... The Highest Organic Content In Skincare...Because Of Our Powerful Patent Pending Organic Juice Base

Some brands would like you to believe that all of their ingredients are organic. Unfortunately, they only use a few organic ingredients in a water base that makes up most of the product - making the organic content less than 5%. Instead of the typical water base that cannot be "organic or pesticide free," Juice Beauty created an antioxidant rich organic juice base which is much more nourishing for your skin. Science has now shown us that organic juice is up to 50% higher in nutrients than non-organic juice. We knew we were on to something big so we filed a patent for our uniquely effective organic juice base formulation. All Juice Beauty products (total content) contain up to 95% certified organic ingredients.

Caudalie: Vinosource Anti-Wrinkle Nourishing Cream

Korres Natural Products: White Tea Facial Fluid Gel Cleanser
  12. I've really had an adverse skin reaction to many of Burt's Bees products... no matter how much my MIL tries to force them upon me :sweatdrop:. However I think Burt's Bees Blemish Treatment Stick is wonderful and worthwhile purse carry or bed table accessory.
  13. I was just about to start a thread about this! You beat me to it :p

I'm currently trying to switch all my products to ones that are actually good for you, but it's a hard slow process.
    I also use Burt's Bees Milk and Honey lotion. It smells sooo good! :love:

I highly recommend Pangea Organics products to everyone. I use their bar soap in Oatmeal with Italian Bergamot. Also smells great! And the packaging contains wildflower seeds, so you can plant the box and grow a garden!
    They also have shampoo, body wash, lotion, etc etc.

Tom's of Maine also makes really good soaps. I've used their lemongrass soap in the past and am planning on buying their toothpaste.

I also recently purchased Lavanila Vanilla Grapefruit perfume and am in love with it.
    An indispensable resource when thinking about buying healthy products (or seeing how toxic ones you already own are) is the Cosmetic Safety Database. Go check it out! (it might scare you though :s)