Young Child Killed by Police Officer Shooting at a snake

Did this happen in America? I'm afraid the American police force are seen as a bit of a joke in England. I'm sure there are decent cops, but the American cop stereotype is of a fat donut eating brainless fool, much like Wigan from the Simpsons. That poor little boy, I can't belive they give these idiots guns!

That's the stereotype even here in America, but I hope people don't actually think that's how American police officers are. There are idiot cops here just like in every other country. It's not like every cop you come across in America is fat and dumb.

Just an example, the stereotype for the English are that they all have really bad teeth but I would be an idiot to actually believe that every person (or most people) that I run across in England would have bad teeth.

That aside, what that police officer did was very irresponsible and I hope the punishment fits the crime.

Did this happen in America? I'm afraid the American police force are seen as a bit of a joke in England. I'm sure there are decent cops, but the American cop stereotype is of a fat donut eating brainless fool, much like Wigan from the Simpsons. That poor little boy, I can't belive they give these idiots guns!

That stereotype is very upsetting to a lot of people, myself included.

Don't let one 'bad apple' ruin your perception of the hard working men and women law enforcement officers in the US.

Yes, there are hardworking law enforcement officers EVERYWHERE in the world.

Unfortunately it seems that more and more situations are arising that show officers using poor judgment and police departments playing coverup. I'm waiting to see what will happen in this case.

I doubt the family will get real justice. The officials are already being dismissive and shady. And I don't understand why the neighborhood who called the police about the snake won't reveal her name. Something isn't right about that.

Either way, that cop who fired the shot will have a great deal left to weigh on his conscience. They may sweep it under the rug, but hestill has to go to sleep every night knowing he killed an innocent child in a senseless, reckless act.

If they wanted to get rid of the snake so badly, they should've called Animal Control.

Because of that idiot's mistake, that family lost their little boy. My thoughts and prayers out to the little boy and his family.

I don't lump that police officer with other police officers. Whenever I hear of police officers making stupid mistakes or abusing their badges, I just thank God that my uncle was a good police officer when he was on the force and that my cousins are the exact same way.

And this does nothing to disprove the Guns are Standard Issue, Trigger Happy stereotype of Texas.

I think what happened was that the police were called to take care of a snake in a lady's backyard.

(I'm assuming it was poisonous, otherwise why would the lady bother with the snake?)

Instead of doing the intelligent thing, which was calling Animal Control, they stupidly decide to shoot it.

I think what happened was that the police were called to take care of a snake in a lady's backyard.

(I'm assuming it was poisonous, otherwise why would the lady bother with the snake?)

Instead of doing the intelligent thing, which was calling Animal Control, they stupidly decide to shoot it.

Yeah. The snake was hanging out of her birdhouse. What is weird is that they won't reveal what kind of snake it was and the lady who called the police refused to give her name when asked by the press. What does she have to hide? And why not reveal the type of snake...unless it wasn't poisonous and they did all that over a snake that was relatively harmless.

Am I the only person who feels just a little bit bad for the police officer? I mean people do stupid stuff all the time without killing young children. Of course this story breaks my heart for the boy and his family, but the police officer's life is ruined too. The whole thing is just tragic.

Am I the only person who feels just a little bit bad for the police officer? I mean people do stupid stuff all the time without killing young children. Of course this story breaks my heart for the boy and his family, but the police officer's life is ruined too. The whole thing is just tragic.

I kind of agree. To me, it was just a freak accident.
The poor boy though:crybaby:and his family! My god, I couldnt even imagine.

I read about this yesterday, it's terrible.

And I think no matter what country you are in there are conceptions (or misconceptions) about the police force.

I'm in Australia, and recently there have been two different things which really highlights both ends of the spectrum.

1) A constable was killed about 2 weeks ago (shot), after making a routine call because a offender had not appeared before court that morning. (And in Australia it is quite rare that an officer is killed). It was tragic, and there was an overwhelming amount of support from the community for the police force.

2) Then yesterday, I read this in the paper:

Police back woman-bashing mate
UP to 50 serving police officers turned out at court yesterday in a show of support for a disgraced colleague and confessed woman basher as he was jailed on charges of perjury and attempting to pervert the course of justice.
As the state's 10,000 police officers were given pay rises worth $450 million, Constable Justin Anthony Burkett, 34, stood in the dock of the Beenleigh District Court to be sentenced to three years' jail for a savage attack on an alleged woman shoplifter.
He also pleaded guilty to giving false testimony at both the woman's summary trial and to a Crime and Misconduct Commission hearing and to asking fellow officers to lie for him. Despite his admission of guilt and the "enormous shame" Judge Ian Dearden said Burkett had caused the police service, many detectives and up to 15 uniformed officers offered comfort, hugs and words of encouragement and remained at the courthouse for the duration of the three-hour hearing.
Burkett was even given the opportunity to shake his father's hand then comfort his weeping mother before being led to the cells – a privilege not normally afforded to criminals.
One of the officers present yesterday was Burkett's girlfriend Constable Nicole Helen Castley, 29, who was also in attendance when Burkett bashed Dulcie Isobelle Birt, 25, at the Loganholme Police Station on April 5, 2004. Charges against Constable Castley were dropped last week.
A third officer is yet to face other charges related to the bashing.
Crown prosecutor Mark Whitbread told the court the attack on Birt occurred shortly after she was taken into custody for suspected shoplifting and had an argument with Burkett who pushed her into a watch-house cell.
A 10-second video recording of the attack showed Birt being flung into the cell, followed by Burkett who grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed her back against the cell wall. The video was turned off after it showed Burkett walking towards Birt with his fist clenched.
Burkett then "lost it" and punched Birt about the head and body about seven or eight times. As Birt collapsed to the ground, Constable Castley yelled for Burkett to stop, the court heard.
Burkett also sent an email to two other officers asking them to give false testimony, in particular knowledge of the videotape later found in his work desk.
Barrister Steve Zillman, for Burkett, said his client's future was now in tatters. "His career of course is finished. He has tendered his resignation to the (Queensland Police) service."
Judge Dearden ordered the three-year term be suspended after nine months.
Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson condemned Burkett, saying in a statement: "The behaviour of the former officer in committing perjury and serious assault was completely unacceptable, the Queensland Police Service does not support this behaviour and individual officers should not support this behaviour."

At the end of the day, I accept police are human - errors are made, accidents happen, but for god sake, to reiterate everyone else, why did he have to shoot at the snake, and what are they teaching officers at the academy if he ends up shooting a innocent child!

While I don't agree with what he did, I do really think he must feel HORRIBLE and will feel HORRIBLE for the rest of his life. It is scary to think that sometimes people do not think, especially in a circumstance like this- while using a gun :crybaby: