You on a DIet - scientific weight gain/loss book

1. I watched this on 20/20 the other night and it was fascinating!
    Anyone have this?

ABC News: It's Not Your Weight, It's Your Waist

I think I may buy this today if I can get out in teh ice.
    There's supposedly scientific proof certain ingredients are preventing people from losing; like hydrogentaed fats, high fructose corn syrups, etc. . .
    they swear if you replace all the items in your house w/ others that don't include these certain ingredients you'll be healthier.

I think these guys have been on Oprah a few times as well.

2. I think this book is good (if only I would follow it!):

'Picture Perfect Weight Loss' by Dr. Howard M. Shapiro.

The premise of the book is that before you mindlessly eat something, take a step back and think about what you are about to do, and see if you can find a tasty but low calorie alternative. The book uses pictures to show high calorie food and low cal alternative, for eg, for a 2.5oz piece baklava (about 440 cals) the book shows all the alternatives for the same number of cals.

You don't count cals but the book is heavy on fruit and vegetables. The book doesn't say anything is a no-no, but do you really want to eat it? If so, eat it, if not, put it away, or if a low cal substitute will do then go for that.

Make sense???

3. i really like the YOU: on a diet book, i read it over christmas break. it makes a lot of sense and helped me choose better things at the grocery store. mostly it's the icky prepackaged food that has the stuff we're supposed to avoid, and having a few specific ingredients to look for to weed things out really makes the choices easier. the scientific explainations make a lot of sense.

4. kewl, thanks Amanda!

I bought it at Central Market this evening and I'm about to log off and strt page turning!

5. I actually just ordered the book on eBay too :smile:

Let's see how it goes!

6. That book is great actually - very scientifically accurate, but I'm not sure there's really a diet to follow per se. But if you want to know what's going on with your body, they do a really good job explaining it in plain english and their facts are correct (I do this type of research), so I would definitely get this book.

You could also check out "Eat, Drink and be Healthy" which gives solid advice about diet (but not so much about the biology/physiology) based on facts and data, not fads!:smile:

7. I just bought this book also and am about to read it. Dr. Oz is a regular on Oprah and I believe she has a whole section on her site about this book.

8. I actually can't diet, I have zero willpower, I got this book because it would be more likely that I'd select healthier items at the store as opposed to restricting my calories.
    Can't wait to get more into it!

Oprahs' friend/trainer, Bob Greene has a new book, they talked about it on her show yesterday, it looks interesting as well. There's also supposed to be a bunch of food w/ the 'seal' of approval on it that are healthy choices.

9. This book and a lot of others give great advice and one of the simplest ones is just to shop if you can from the outsides of the grocery store, because it's where all the fresh items tend to be located.

10. Here's a great website that somebody else on tPF posted that shows 200 calorie portions of food:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm

11. Did you ever start the YOU ON A DIET plan? I bought the book, read it and totally didnt even start...augh...

just wondering if you were able to stick on it better than me!!

12. im so bad with books- i read them while eatin something bad goin hmm... i should do that

13. I read the book and while I think the since part is great, the actual diet seems very high in calories. I know that the book says not to woory about cals. however I followed the diet for one day and ate almost 2000 calories, OMG I need to be eating around 1200-1500 to lose weight????

14. I paged through this book at the bookstore and it looked good. The only issue I have is the use of the word "diet". I hate that word. To me, the word "diet" implies something you do temporarily to lose a few pounds. If you're trying to lose a substantial amount of weight and keep it off, any change to your lifestyle you make has to be permanent. You can't reach your goal weight and then start eating junk and being a couch potato again. If you do that, you'll be back to where you started (maybe even worse).

15. :bump: has anyone read this book that can provide more feedback?
    I was thumbing through it but wanted to look into it before buying yet another diet book I won't read all the way through :lolots: