You Get What You Pay For ?

I definitely don't think so.

I always do my research before making a big purchase, whether its a car or a piece of jewelry. I don't believe Tiffany jewelry, for example, is justified in its markup if you're just looking for a quality diamond solitaire. That you can find a much better deal on for what amounts to the same thing.

I think you get what you pay for in terms of status... you can find equally a well-made wallet, but you can't say its LV. You can get a beautiful diamond engagement ring but you can't say its Tiffanys.

I think its absolutely possible to get an excellent used car, a great deal on a house, a great piece of art or an antique without having to pay through the nose unnecessarily.

In some cases yes, and in some cases no. Take for example generic prescription drugs versus branded prescription drugs. Given that both are FDA approved and have pretty much identical chemical compounds, there isn't much difference between the two types. The only difference is the price. So the the primary thing a branded consumer is paying for (after costs for R&D have been taken into account) is the marketing . . . which really doesn't affect the quality of the drug.

IntlSet said:
I definitely don't think so.

I always do my research before making a big purchase, whether its a car or a piece of jewelry. I don't believe Tiffany jewelry, for example, is justified in its markup if you're just looking for a quality diamond solitaire. That you can find a much better deal on for what amounts to the same thing.

I think you get what you pay for in terms of status... you can find equally a well-made wallet, but you can't say its LV. You can get a beautiful diamond engagement ring but you can't say its Tiffanys.

I think its absolutely possible to get an excellent used car, a great deal on a house, a great piece of art or an antique without having to pay through the nose unnecessarily.

I completely agree. :biggrin:

i think it depends on what you're looking at. with appliances (what i'm most familiar with as far as pricing, durability, etc.) it's largely true because they're not a 'fun' purchase - very few buy something more expensive just because it look cool (it does happen occasionally, though) so there has to be some added benefit or functionality to really justify a more expensive product to the consumer.

that being said, a more expensive appliance isn't always more reliable, it just has more features. sub-zero is one of the most expensive refirigerator brands out there, but they are notoriously unreliable. they do have a bunch of features, though. kitchenaid, also very expensive, is the MOST reliable brand out there. so you get what you pay for with them. i think reliability and functionality are two very separate issues when it comes to price on almost anything run by electronics.

with handbags i think it's similar. mostly, you get what you pay for (nicer leather, exotic materials, durable construction) but there are always going to be some brands that have shoddy construction that charge you just as much as the brands that are impeccable.

so largely and in most cases, you do get what you pay for. my answer probably would have been different before i started working retail, though.

amanda said:
i

that being said, a more expensive appliance isn't always more reliable, it just has more features. sub-zero is one of the most expensive refirigerator brands out there, but they are notoriously unreliable. they do have a bunch of features, though.

Gosh, don't I know it. My folks have a Sub Zero and they had to wait two weeks for a guy from an hour away come fix it because nobody in our area seemed to know how! Annoying.

I don't think so. I have bought several expensive items that have been mediocre. I have also paid a lot for something and then found the exact same thing at TJ Maxx for a fraction of the cost. Then there is the whole Paula Begoun theory on skincare. I do think "buy nice or buy twice" applies to some things, but not all, for sure.

I tend to agree with the majority so far, I think that there are too many exceptions for the axiom to really hold up these days. Case in point I got some cute wedges from Urban O's last year for 19 bucks a piece, cheap cheap! They are the best shoes, I have had that experience lots of times

IntlSet said:
Gosh, don't I know it. My folks have a Sub Zero and they had to wait two weeks for a guy from an hour away come fix it because nobody in our area seemed to know how! Annoying.

i've heard stuff like this more than once, i think that's so completely unacceptable! i always recommend kitchenaid for my high-end customers because of it.

I think it can be true sometimes, whenever I buy crappy cheap items I usually get a crappy cheap experience. I'm sure its not ALL in the mind for me, so I usually buy middle to high end items in most situations. If its somthing thats just going to be trashed in a day I'll buy the cheapy item though.

hmmm, i sorta agree with it but it really depends on what angle you're looking at it from... like appliances etc... house things.... it might be a good price but is it going to last 20 years... i tend to do research or talk to other people before buying something to the flat/apartment....

as for things for myself eg/clothes and bags etc... yeah, i'd agree more with the statement :shame:

I agree with Intl when it comes to the materialistic things. But when I read this headline I immediately thought it was meant in the inmaterialistic way like how I behave towards others that comes back on me. In that I do believe! I think when I'm nice and play fair peolpe do that with me too and in my experience it is 90% of the time true.

On some things yes.. I'm a strong believer in luxury European cars, after driving one you just never want to go back. It's like driving a cloud versus driving a grocery cart. Same with IBM versus lower end computers such as Acer, there's a reason why people buy IBM (e.g. you drop it, get it wet.. or as the website has a story of, set it on fire and it's all good).