Yikes! 4th Case of Bacterial Meningitis I've Heard in a Week!

1. Has anyone else been hearing of all these recent cases? A relative of mine nearly died last week...he's 7. Then my mom was telling me a few days ago about a little girl in another state that did die. I read an article last night about a little girl who was left with her mom's body for several days and they said the mom died of B.M. Now, I just discovered an article about college students at Prarie View A&M coming down with it!

I'm including the following as i know we have a lot of college students here at the forum:
    Meningitis is an infection of the fluid of a person's spinal cord and the fluid that surrounds the brain. Meningitis is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, high fever, headache, and stiff neck are common symptoms of meningitis in anyone over the age of 2 years. These symptoms can develop over several hours, or they may take one to two days. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, discomfort looking into bright lights, confusion, and sleepiness.
  2. so how exactly does one catch it?
  3. The bacterium which causes meningitis dies quickly once outside the body and hence close, direct contact is needed to transfer the bacterium in nasal or throat secretions from one individual to another. Meningitis may be spread by coughing, sneezing or kissing. Outbreaks occur in places where people live or work in large groups. Most cases are diagnosed between the months of November and March.
    ^^^This was what I found. IT sounds like very close contact and exchange of fluids is needed...which is why it appears it typically threatens dorms, etc. It sounds like children for the most part, are ok, if they've received their immunizations on time.
    I'm not panicked...but so surprised! I've heard of B.M. over the years...but not a personal case, and then not 3 others so quickly afterwards. Maybe a co-inky-dink.:confused1:
  4. I actually met someone a couple weeks ago who said a good friend of hers almost died from it recently. Scary.
  5. wow, that scary! You guys be safe!
  6. my best friend had it when we were in high school. after she already starting feeling sick, i was sharing a drink with her and eating her pizza...then the next day she was in the hospital! i was so freaked out for her AND for me... but i didnt end up catching. so it's not THAT easy to get...

but still very important to be cautious and aware, and get immunized.
  7. It is really easy for kids in college dorms to catch... I got the vaccine while in college, although I am not so sure how long it lasts. It is pretty scary. Look into getting a vaccine!
  8. yes, definately get the vaccine. some colleges wont let you register unless you show proof that youve had the vaccine.