WOW! Maybe Hermes' lawsuit is making a difference...

Cyn, did you ask her where you should send your bill as a consultant?

LOL...I have been working with eBay's trust & safety department for years on this issue. Believe me, I receive compensation for my efforts in other ways than monetary. If I ever have an issue with an eBay transaction, or with one of their "fraud prevention" techniques like limitations on the number of listings, etc., it's remedied with a single email or a 2 minute phone call. That's priceless.

As a buyer I TOTALLY agree that eBay needs teams on hand for this purpose, however as a businessperson I also understand that for them to do it and publicize it erodes their claims to being "just a venue". Since that claim is the only real defense they have against Tiffany, LVMH, Hermes, etc., suing them, I don't think they will be making a large monetary investment into teams of authenticators anytime soon. Do I think they have people acting as watchdogs now? Yes--as is evidenced by the email I got. Do I think they will make a big public show about it? Heck no!

I remember when eBay really was all about a community, and it relied on people's inherent wish to be honest, but these days as we all know, the greed of a few has eclipsed the goodness of the many. It's a shame, but at least we have a great resource in tPF and each other to watch our backs, yeah?

edited: To be clear, this eBay employee is not a friend, she's someone with whom I have been working on eBay/Hermes related fraud issues for about a year and a half. So, when I said I know her, that's what I meant.

Oh I cannot take all the credit!! There are actually about 12 of us eBayers involved in this, and though it's been a long process, it is just nice to see them finally actually doing something proactive.

BTW I forgot to address the point about them sharing my name with Hermes' Vero person. That's an interesting point, however, since he dropped off the face of the earth in approximately 2004 and has not been heard from since, I doubt it's an issue. Also, he was an outside counsel, not even an Hermes employee. And really I only have drama from one store, and it's not even drama, it's just not the type of service I would wish to receive.

Also you should let them know that a lot of these sellers may post real bags, but I noticed that they only accept bank transfers or western union - which is very dangerous since sellers might not send the bag once they receive the money. Unfortunately when I first started buying on ebay years ago I made the mistake of doing this and not receiving my purchase. There wasn't really anything I could do about it, I just don't want this to happen to anyone else!

I agree that it's good that ebay is finally doing something about the fakes...now if local areas would do the same. Close down the street vendors blatantly selling fake sunglasses to bags to watches, etc.!!!

Thanks for letting us know and keep up the good work! I really think it is so wonderful for the TPF ladies to spend time checking on items to see if they are real or not. I wonder how much money the ladies here have saved people!?? Must be tons of money!! Well done!!x

In over 8 years on eBay, in which time I have bought, sold, traded or drooled over about three gazillion Hermes bags, I have never received an email like this until today.

I just got this from an eBay employee:
Hi (my name),
My name is B*** and I work in the eBay Counterfeit Investigations Department, and I was wondering if you could look over these Hermes Bags and let me know what you think of them! If you need any other pictures or have any questions please let me know!

And she sent about 10 pictures.

So, the good news is that maybe eBay is finally sitting up and taking note of all the fake Hermes being sold! :yahoo: That's the good news.

The not as good news is that the bags appeared to be AAA fakes--the highest quality I have EVER seen, and darn good enough to fool almost anyone, I would think. :s Every detail was allllmost exactly right. Just a few tiny things that were only apparent on extremely close inspection.

Great news that ebay is checking up on the H listings AND THAT THEY ARE TURNING TO TRUE EXPERTS LIKE YOU who are already members of the Ebay community.

Hermes** [reseller] emailed me [and other occasional sellers/buyers] two examples of these AAA fakes last week. She was warning us. I was shocked because I can't tell the difference. I would only sell an H bag that I bought myself and know the provenance is impeccable, or for a fellow tpfer who buys from the boutiques and is cleaning closet. If I didn't know a bag was bought directly from the boutique, I would ask [you, or Hermes** or others ] before I listed it. It really does take a pro now adays. Thanks so much for your efforts to help us all.

Good Karma To You Cynthia!

The bitter irony of you working so hard to protect against H fakes, yet you cant get decent service at an H store.....They should be rolling out the flipping red carpet for you. humph.