Would you sell a bag your DH/SO gave you?

My husband accepts that my not liking a gift he gave me is not about him, it's about the gift itself. He would prefer me to be happy than to be unhappy and lying to him about liking something. He would rather know from the outset that I didn't like something than find out 20 years down the line that all those presents he bought me were all things I hated and I never said anything.
He's never given me a bag that was worth any kind of serious money so I've not come into the situation of whether to sell or not, but I do exchange things when they're not right if possible. He does the same so it works out fine.

I'd also never sell jewellery, when they mentioned 'trade-in' when we went to pick out my recent upgraded engagement ring I was shocked! Who trades in their engagement ring, especially when they are still happily married! I feel weird just not wearing it every day any more!

I wouldn't. My dh has only given me one bag, a small suede purple hobo from Coach - it's not something I'd ever pick out, but I love it and the effort that went into it. I wear it when we go out to eat, when I don't need a big bag with all the stuff for the kids...

Well...he didn't pick out the bag, he just gave me money for it. Does that change things? I hope so!

I think that changes things. I wouldn't sell anything my BF had given me because it means a lot to me that he picked out something that he thought I would like. If it was just him giving me money to buy something I like, then I think selling it to have money to buy something different that you like is totally fair game.

I'm not married, so maybe that makes a difference. I don't have a problem with the idea though. If it's taking up space and not used, why not? I view a bag (or a clothing return) differently than jewelry though. I would not sell jewelry. I think many times, a sales person really picks the item and the guy buys it. There ARE exceptions, I know and some men really care and research, I see it on posts here. I speak from my experience though- I do all my dad's shopping for mom, anniversary, valentine's included. When he did it over 10 years ago, he'd just walk up to a woman associate and say I want to buy a (whatever) can you pick something out for a 40 (or whatever age) woman?

I think that changes things. I wouldn't sell anything my BF had given me because it means a lot to me that he picked out something that he thought I would like. If it was just him giving me money to buy something I like, then I think selling it to have money to buy something different that you like is totally fair game.

Totally.

I would. As a matter of fact I AM I'm currently selling all my logo bags. Luckily my BF could care less!! His exact words were "They're yours you can sell them if you want."

But if it will bother YOUR boyfriend, then maybe you shouldn't

I havent done it, but I would consider doing it if I felt the need to. And I don't think my bf would mind! I wouldn't mind him selling a present he got from me either. If he doesn't like it/want it/use it, why should he have to keep it just to keep me happy?

I'm a firm believer in honesty, and that goes for gifts too. Even though I've never sold anything I got from a bf, I have on occation said that I don't really like something my bf got for me. He exchanged the gift & got me a new one. I was happy because I got something I liked better, and he was happy since he knew that I loved the new gift & saw me using it a lot.
And me asking him to exchange that particular gift did not lead to him not buying me new gifts.

People are just different when it comes to things like this, I guess.

What would be a problem for me personally, however, was if my bf sold something I got him & didnt tell me. So *that* I would never do to him either. if I ever sell anything he got for me, I will definately tell him.

I agree with this. If he wasn't the one who went out and picked out the gift for you but rather gave you money, then I think it is fine. In this case, I would probably sell them too. If my DH had gone out and chosen a bag himself though, I would keep it regardless because I know that by doing that he put in the effort to buy me something he thought I would love (regardless of whether or not I really loved it).

I think if I had already sold the item (like the OP has already listed on Ebay) then I'd make a good effort to emphasise how much I love the item I bought with the proceeds, and how grateful I was to have that extra money to go towards it. But I wouldn't return/sell without telling my husband to start with!

My BF has given me a couple of purses that are totally not my style. One I never carried and one I only carried once, and I would NEVER EVER EVER get rid of them. Not only would that be a crushing blow to him, but it would destroy something of precious, sentimental value to me. I leave the bags right where they are, among my dozens of others, and when I see them I think, "He may not know exactly what I like, but he does know that I realy LOVE purses, and for him to buy me these means that he does care about me!"

I wouldn't, it would hurt his feelings! My husband gets excited and proud of himself about picking a nice gift for me so even if it isn't perfect it has great sentimental value that can turn into love!

Personally no I wouldn't. Although I can understand what you are saying. I'm super sentimental so I hang on to everything my husband gives me. :love:

Same here, first bag that DH bought me was a dooney that I know I will never use again, but I know how hard he had to save when he bought me that bag so I could never part with it.