Would you carry china on an airplane?

1. It's been exactly a year since I last flew... am flying again in two weeks to see my mom and am trying to find out if I can hand-carry some china with me. I really don't want to ship it and would consider checking it on the airplane IF they don't make me open the box...

Has anybody ever carried something fragile with them? Or heavy like this? Do they make you open it and unwrap every little thing?

I thought of maybe wrapping each piece in bubble wrap and then sticking in a suitcase filled with peanuts, too. Then I have an empty suitcase to bring home with me to fill with stuff I buy shopping!
  2. As long as the box is not sealed with wrapping paper and you can fit it in the overhead bin or under your seat you should be okay with it just going through the x-ray machine. If you're selected for additional screening which you never know you might be, then they might open the box. I've carried a model yacht as a carry on, but it wasn't packaged, it was in a large bag. There is no way of telling, I've once watched a screener go through a kids colouring book page by page with a piece of paper that checks for explosives during secondary screening so YYMV.
  3. No, I believe in carrying only very small countries on airplanes.
  4. Twoharlygirl, if it's well-wrapped, it shouldn't be a problem. Personally, I've never had any issues with overly zealous inspections on goods flying to or from China. If it won't get it anybody's way on the airplane, I would think it's just fine.
  5. Thanks for the replies! I am going to go ahead and carry it on with me -- with a backup plan to check it "just in case" they change the rules on me that morning. I can pack the china pretty well, I think.

Thanks again! It always helps to have someone else think things through, too. :yes:

6. :roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:
  7. LOL!!!!! I read this awhile ago -- and it just hit me! :noggin:

I'm slow tonight... :p