Worrisome buyers and delaying FB for them

I remember it used to be the rule of thumb on Ebay that the seller left feedback for the buyer first and if the buyer was happy with their item they then left positive feedback for the seller. That system seems to be long gone since sellers have found out it's in their best interest to wait and see what the buyer is going to do first. I'll admit I was a bit put out when I started buying items that came with little notes that said - Once you leave positive feedback for me I'll do the same for you. The stubborn side of me wanted to write them back and say - Well once you leave positive feedback for ME then I'll leave if for you! *G* And there were a few times I simply didn't leave any feedback at all because I was annoyed with the whole 'stand-off' feeling of it. And although I can completely understand the reason for caution on the seller's end it still irks me just a bit when I get one of those. I wish seller's would not put those notes in the package and if they want to wait for my feedback simply do so.

Linda

Thank goodness I have never left a negative, so I have never had to worry about a retaliatory negative. I think the whole idea of "you screwed my feedback so I'm going to get you back" is pure crap.

Sellers should ONLY be allowed to comment on: Speed of Payment, Level of Communication; while,

Buyers should ONLY be allowed to comment on: Speed of Shipment (NOT speed of delivery, as they are two entirely different things), Accuracy of Description, and Level of Communication

Feedback gets way too personal and slanderous. Calling someone a "bad person", I think, is way beyond eBay. Sticking to the FACTS and not opinions is going to be the best solution for the feedback problem on eBay.

I remember it used to be the rule of thumb on Ebay that the seller left feedback for the buyer first and if the buyer was happy with their item they then left positive feedback for the seller. That system seems to be long gone since sellers have found out it's in their best interest to wait and see what the buyer is going to do first. I'll admit I was a bit put out when I started buying items that came with little notes that said - Once you leave positive feedback for me I'll do the same for you. The stubborn side of me wanted to write them back and say - Well once you leave positive feedback for ME then I'll leave if for you! *G* And there were a few times I simply didn't leave any feedback at all because I was annoyed with the whole 'stand-off' feeling of it. And although I can completely understand the reason for caution on the seller's end it still irks me just a bit when I get one of those. I wish seller's would not put those notes in the package and if they want to wait for my feedback simply do so.

Linda

Wow, I didn't know they'd offend anyone. :Push:

This is why I don't say that in my (handwritten) notes...I say thank you for your purchase, please let me know when you receive it and I'll be sure to leave feedback when I know you're happy with the item. That mean that if they're not happy, they can contact me and let me know BEFORE leaving feedback so we can work it out. I don't see the point in leaving feedback until both parties are satisfied with the way things worked out.
I've never had a problem with this at all and surprisingly, very few problems at all in my nearly 2 years as a seller; I've even gotten buyers thanking me for the little note lol.
Most of the time though, I actually do leave feedback before buyers leave it for me. Kind of defeats my purpose I guess, but I feel like the note gives the buyer a way to contact me first if they're not satisfied before leaving feedback. I'm always willing to work with buyers to their satisfaction and as a buyer as well, I appreciate that open line of communication. That way, in the feedback, you can also say something like, "a few problems occured but seller was kind/offered refund/replacement/etc.".

Also, I feel like it's a little more personal than just tossing the item in the package without any note saying "thanks for your purchase."

I think that, in addition to timely payment, buyers have a responsibility to be fair with the seller. It is not unreasonable (and is increasingly the norm) for a seller to hold off pos FB until they have heard that the buyer has received the item and is happy.

Wow, I didn't know they'd offend anyone. :Push:

This is why I don't say that in my (handwritten) notes...I say thank you for your purchase, please let me know when you receive it and I'll be sure to leave feedback when I know you're happy with the item. That mean that if they're not happy, they can contact me and let me know BEFORE leaving feedback so we can work it out. I don't see the point in leaving feedback until both parties are satisfied with the way things worked out.
I've never had a problem with this at all and surprisingly, very few problems at all in my nearly 2 years as a seller; I've even gotten buyers thanking me for the little note lol.
Most of the time though, I actually do leave feedback before buyers leave it for me. Kind of defeats my purpose I guess, but I feel like the note gives the buyer a way to contact me first if they're not satisfied before leaving feedback. I'm always willing to work with buyers to their satisfaction and as a buyer as well, I appreciate that open line of communication. That way, in the feedback, you can also say something like, "a few problems occurred but seller was kind/offered refund/replacement/etc.".

Also, I feel like it's a little more personal than just tossing the item in the package without any note saying "thanks for your purchase."

Don't mind me, it just pushes my buttons a little bit! Not a biggie. :rolleyes: The way it's worded to can make a difference. For instance, I do not mind a seller at all including a note in there along the lines of - If for any reason you are not happy with this purchase please contact me first so that we can work this out. Nothing at all wrong with that and I would do the same. It's only when they say - 'Once you leave feedback for me than I will do so for you' that it irks me. When I read that I think behind the lines it's saying - You'd better leave me good feedback or you will not get it either. But then again, when I started using Ebay (in 1998) it was the norm for the first of those years for the seller to leave feedback for the buyer once they'd paid - I guess there was more of an issue then of buyer's paying, paypal was not as popular then that I recall. Then if the buyer was happy with what they received they left positive feedback for the seller. When I started getting those - you leave feedback for me first notes I was like - and exactly why should I be the one to leave the feedback first? Though I want to say again that I do understand a seller's concern! In these days of retaliatory feedback everyone wants to be careful.

Linda

^Lol ok no problem, I get it.:P
I definitely don't hold feedback hostage or say anything like "I will not leave feedback until you leave it for me." I've actually seen auctions with that on it and it kind of scares me lol.

^Actually, eBay's "preferred" method is that sellers leave FB first. But I'm just not liking these situations ...

I have never heard this but it may very well be. Regardless, as a seller I never leave feedback first. Never.

Also, just because someone pays quickly does not mean they deserve + feeback as they may have been a total PITA afterward. Feedback should rate all aspects of the transaction not just one.

^ In the book eBay for dummies, they specify that sellers should leave FB first. But I guess things have changed since the book was published because now an online tutorial says:

Sellers can leave feedback as soon as they have been paid and the item is shipped. But many sellers prefer to wait until the buyer has received the item and is fully satisfied with the transaction.

So ... I guess I won't feel guilty about waiting for these transactions!

Yea Lori, I think things really started changing when people started negging sellers for crazy things....or buyers started being a real PITA about things! So it's definetly the norm now! As a buyer I've never receiver feedback before I left feedback.

Also, for people asking about how busy sellers keep track....you can set it up somehow (through some program) to automatically leave feedback when you receive it, with a preset message. Also, your little "sales" area shows you when a person has left feedback and whether or not you have left feedback for them!

^^^^I agree...as a seller I never leave feedback until it's left for me and as a buyer I always leave feedback as soon as I receive the item...I don't expect the seller to leave it first.

I totally agree with this. As a 10+ year member of the eBay community, I have seen my share of crazy buyers and sellers. I feel this is the best way...when the item arrives and I am satisfied, I leave feedback. I expect the seller to reciprocate when my feedback posts.

^^I agree. Just because the buyer paid quickly doesn't mean they won't try to turn around and do something deceitful. I recently had a buyer pay right away, I shipped the item and then came the chargeback on the stolen credit card a month later...you just never know with ebay.

I never leave feedback for a buyer until they leave it for me, either. I agree with all of those things people have mentioned about the way a transaction can turn bad after the buyer has paid (unrealistic expectations, bait and switch,chargebacks, etc.) and if nothing else, I want to leave a warning about shifty buyers to other sellers. I really look at buyer feedback when I'm considering Best Offers - I think buyer feedback matters more than it used to because of the Best Offer option.

Well, now I'm really worried about the purse buyer. She emailed me today 1/22 asking me for a tracking number. The USPS website shows that they attempted to deliver the package on 1/19. I actually had to tell her that she needs to go to the post office to pick up the package and sign for it.

I swear I have never dealt with a more clueless buyer. I printed the shipping label from paypal, so she would have gotten an email with the tracking info. I guess I'll have to assume that she didn't understand what the orange slip was that would have been left for her at home.

I can only hope that this ends well.

I love to leave feedback for people, though I am always amazed by buyers that don't leave it. I know that they received the item quickly and it is perfect as described, but they just won't leave feedback! I just don't 'get' that:confused1:!
I don't get it either. It is both sides...
Sometimes I got stuck when I would leave a seller positive feedback and a week later I need to remind a seller to do the same to me. Sometimes sellers too think they are entitled for feedback without need to leave one for a buyer.