Working in "High End" / Luxury Retail. Questions

1. Hello,

I am just wondering if any of you work at Bloomingdales, Saks, Neiman Marcus, or Nordstrom. I really want to work there next year. What is the age requirement to be a part time sales associate? Do they require experience?

What are some higher end stores that hire 17y/o+ sales associates for part time positions?

Thanks so much!!
  2. My shoe SA at NM is my age (20) and goes to my college... so I know they do hire younger people!!!
  3. I don't know specifically for those stores but many retail stores won't hire until 18 because the requirements are different between minors and non-minors. I notice this a lot with commission based stores. I think it's because many HR departments don't want to deal with minors because they need work permits, can only work certain # of hours per week, etc. There are a lot more rules for hiring people 14-17.

Many also want to see some experience with customer service and/or sales. Retail experience would be helpful too.
  4. I believe it's 18.
  5. I think at 17 you would be able to get a part time job at a small retail store in the mall. I worked in a few stores when I was in high school. From my friends that work in high end stores now they say they are not aware of anyone being under 18 and working in these stores. They do hire a lot of part time people going to college and in the retail/fashion programs.