Work dilemma, please help.

nsynchic20

Jan 11, 2007
This situation has me crying and is causing me so much stress. I never thought working retail would cause so much stress and stuff.
So my work schedule for this term was only Tuesday's and Thursday's during the week (but only once during the week) and twice on the weekends, so basically 3 times a week.
So yeah, my schedule is kinda slim, but classes come first obviously.
So for spring break I'm going down to Cali to go on the Price is Right and stuff, so I told her in JANUARY that I needed that week off, so I told her FAR in advance.
So in a week and a half finals start, so last week I told my manager that I needed a couple days off during that week, and she *****ed me out and said, "Does having a job work for you?" And I was thinking, what the ****?! It's freakin FINALS. I'm only asking that you don't schedule me for one of the effing days you stupid *****.
And then tonight we were closing and me and her were in the luggage area cleaning up and I was like, I don't know my schedule for spring term yet, but I'll get it to you as soon as I can. And all of a sudden she starts *****ing me out for asking for spring break off, and saying that I've asked for too many days off (which is sort of true...I just had a lot of stuff that came up winter term) but I told her that spring term would be different and that I wouldn't have so many conflicts. Then she said that she doesn't think she will be able to give me the entire week off for spring break and I said, well I won't be here. I will be in California and I wouldn't have a way of getting back because my parents will be driving and I certainly can't afford a plane ticket. Then she took out her frustrations of being a manager on me, saying how hard it is to schedule people with all their conflicts and that she has a calendar just for people's conflicts and preferred schedules. I wanted to be like, THATS THE RESPONSIBLITIES A MANAGER HAS AND YOU EFFING KNEW THAT WHEN YOU DECIDED TO BE A DAMN MANAGER SO DON'T BLAME ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But of course I didn't say that. Then she was saying how when she was in college and worked @ Applebee's she had to stay back for some of winter break to work because she had an obligation. She told me there were plenty of people who would be willing to work just to have a job and not just for the money. Plenty of people who want hours, and plenty of people who have worked @ JC Penney longer than me that are only asking for a few days off and that its not fair to give me an entire week off when they have to work since I'll be gone.
I know she said a bunch of other stuff, and indirectly basically told me to quit.
So I come home crying because this has upset me so much. As much as having this job creates a ton of stress on me (people working retail and restaurants for that matter do not get enough respect and credit from the customers, but that's another rant that will have to wait for another day) and we don't get much respect from the managers, I love this job and really don't want to quit. I love my co-workers, and love the nice customers. It's a fun job, and I like it because there's new things everyday, and you aren't sitting behind a desk 9-5 typing on a computer. I'm the type of person that gets really bored easily, and unless its a really slow period, I'm never bored. I've even considered becoming a manager in a few years, but I would never want to become the person my manager is (I swear she is freakin bi-polar).
Ok anyways, I guess the point of this is, I don't know what to do. I do want to keep my job, and quitting and finding another job is out of the question, but not going to California is definately out of the question too. Going on the Price is Right has been my dream ever since I watched it (pretty much my entire life). So I guess I will talk to my manager when I'm not pissed off and say, you know if you can't give me the whole week off, then please schedule me for the end of the week since I'm going on the Price is Right on Monday of that week.
But I guess my dilemma is more in general. I know this won't be the last time this will happen. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time she's taken her frustrations out on me, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one she's done it to on the level that she does.
I was thinking of talking to the assistant store manager whom I'm on good terms with, about the trouble I've been having and if there is anything that can be done. I'm not exactly sure what I would say though. I guess just tell him how much emotional stress this entire thing has caused me.
It's not like I'm a bad employee anyways. I've never been late, and most of the time I'm 5 minutes early. I don't slack off and I'm always helping customers. So I'm not afraid that she would call me out on being a bad associate.
I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm afraid to ever talk to her again because I'm afraid she'll start *****ing at me for one little thing I might say or do wrong. Sorry this is really long.

She may just have been having a really horrible day. Try talking to her when she's in a much better mood.

I remember working in retail years ago and I just had the best manager ever. Unfortunately, the assistant manager was the devil in flesh. I was going to school then and it was really very hard working out my classes and scheds for work. When I asked her to give me certain days off, she nodded but completely erased my name from the schedule sheets. I quit when I found out... I didn't deserve to be treated that way and I've had enough of her. :blah:

Eesh! I've never recieved that kind of treatment from any of my managers! I would definately have gave her a peice of my mind.

I totally agree about retail workers not getting the credit and respect. Whenever I go way out of my way for someone, it's never enough. They walk all over you. And once you do something wrong, they sure know how to make a scene..

That's rough having a not-so-happy manager. My advice is just act as polite and nice as possible to her despite what she might be nagging at you about. I would tell her something like "I do realize my personal schedule comes into conflict a lot with my work schedule, and I am sorry about that, but there isn't much I can do. I already altered my personal schedule the best way I could, but there is no more I can do. I love this job and this atmosphere, and I am proud to be a part of it. I am pretty confident that my spring term won't be as busy, so please, if you would, work with me during this time. Thank you"
I wouldn't get personal with her(telling her you are going to CA for family and The Price is Right), it's none of her business, and she'll probably take it as "how come she is out having fun when she should be at work." She seems like the type who would go in that direction. I would just tell her that you have a family situation in CA, if she asks. I'd keep the details to a minimum with her. Good luck!
P.S. I LOVE the Price is Right, I have always wanted to be on that show and play Plinko or that one game with the paper grocery bags where you have to pick products and match the prices of them. Good luck on the show!
Also, from what you wrote, you sound like a good and caring employee who loves your job, so remember, it's not you, it's your manager. It's probably a personal problem she has or she feels in power with her authority. She should realize that that is not how people do business.

Oh my! I can't relate but a couple a weeks ago I was at Sports Authority buying a poker table. I had to pick it up at a later date because I didn't have a vehicle that could transport it to my house. My intention was to have my brother's workers do that for me. So, my SA was asking me whether or not I wanted to pay for it right away. I said "sure". Anyway, his manager started *****ing him out for asking me whether or not I wanted to pay for it right away. I felt SOOOOOOOOOOOO bad for him. I tried to take up for my SA and the manager backed down. But, I thought it was very unprofessional for him to talk to his worker is such a disrespectful way.

Some people should not be in management...