Woman Found Dead After Refusing On-Air Purposal

1. Responsible TV?

Woman killed after turning down on-air marriage proposal

LONDON - Women's groups have condemned a Spanish TV talk show following the death of a woman who turned down an on-air marriage proposal from her ex-boyfriend.
    And a leading judge called for a review of such programs following the death of Svetlana Orlova, a 30-year-old mother of one.
    Five days after appearing on the Antena 3 program Diario de Patricia (Patricia's Diary), Orlova was found dead at her home in Alicante with her throat cut.

Her ex-boyfriend, Ricardo Navarro, 30, who had also appeared on the daytime show, has been arrested but denies any involvement in her death.

TV researchers reportedly failed to discover Ms Orlova had previously requested a restraining order against Navarro.

Spain's Federation of Progressivist Women was reportedly teaming up with other women's groups in the country to file a case against the TV station.

''We believe that media professionals should be capable of assessing when a situation is delicate when treating women,'' spokeswoman Covadonga Naredo was quoted as saying on Sky News in Britain.
    Valencia Supreme Court President Juan Luis de la Rua said the consequences of such TV shows were ''yet to be evaluated''.

''Those shows are often roads or means that add fire to a heated situation,'' he told Sky.
    ''Perhaps we should re-examine those TV programs and their potential consequences.''

Lobbyists are also calling for Patricia's Diary, which regularly attracts two million viewers, to be taken off air.
    But a spokesman for Antena 3 said the station had done all it could to determine whether any of its guests were dangerous.

''Antena 3 utterly condemns this killing,'' he said.

Baldomero Limon of Boomerang, the production company responsible for the program, said producers were devastated, but denied responsibility.
    ''Nothing made us suspect that a tragedy like this could occur,'' he was quoted as saying in Britain's The Times newspaper.

Orlova had no idea why she was going on the show before Navarro entered the studio and asked her to marry him.
    ''You are everything for me, without you I am nothing. I want to live with you forever,'' he said during the show taped on November 14 and broadcast later that day.

Orlova was clearly disturbed by Navarro's proposal, saying only ''no'' when show host Patricia Gaztanaga pressed her for a reply.
    Orlova's death extends an already long list of violent incidents involving people who have had details of their private lives broadcast on television.

In 1997, Ana Orantes, 60, was doused with petrol and burnt alive by her estranged husband after appearing on a Spanish TV show to talk about the abuse of women.

Also in Spain, an 18-year-old woman was killed by her boyfriend in 2004 after telling a television program he had abused her.
    In a famous US case, a man shot and killed a male friend who had revealed he was sexually attracted to him on The Jenny Jones Show in 1995.

Earlier this year, a judge branded British daytime talk program The Jeremy Kyle Show human ''bear-baiting'' while sentencing a man for head-butting a fellow guest.
    David Staniforth, 45, was fined for attacking Larry Mahoney, 39.

Passing sentence at Manchester Magistrates Court, District Judge Alan Berg said the show's producers should have been in the dock with Staniforth.

''It is for no more and no less than titillating members of the public who have nothing better to do with their mornings than sit and watch this show -- which is a human form of bear baiting which goes under the guise of entertainment,'' he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/index.html Here's the video of the actual purposal on live TV :s
  2. Oh my god. That is horrible. Didn't know cases like these occured with such frequency... The legal consequences should be fascinating to figure out...
  3. I believe The Jenny Jones Show, was sued for about 25 million dollers a few years ago for some thing quite similar. I think the shows like this should be held some what accountable.
  4. damn

Yeah and Jenny Jones was taken off the air shortly there after.. too
  5. It is horrible, but it's not the show's fault imo.
  6. I do blame the talk shows for instigating things like this. In the Jenny Jones case, the guy who killed the man who'd claimed he had feelings for him said he felt threatened and humiliated. "Ambushed" was another word he used, since he had no idea why he was on the show to begin with.

I can see the guy in this case being so publically humiliated by being told on national TV she didn't want to marry him, he went overboard. It's sad, but who knows what goes on in the minds of abusers? And to make it "entertainment" for the masses... pathetic.
  7. This makes him look SERIOUSLY guilty. SMH. Just think...she didn't want to marry him and now this. If he IS guilty, then she had good reason for turning him down!
  8. Men and their egos. /sigh
  9. "TV researchers reportedly failed to discover Ms Orlova had previously requested a restraining order against Navarro."

did she get a restraining order, or did she request one and it wasn't granted? because if she only requested one, how on earth would the TV station be able to find that out? and the judge who refused to grant her the restraining order would be at fault.

lesson learned: don't participate in a reality TV talk show unless you know exactly why you're being asked to appear on the show, if the producers refuse to tell you because it's a surprise, THAT should be a warning. Duh, common sense.:sad:
  10. Really, it's probably only a matter of time before an execution is shown on TV.
    The public seems to crave more & more sensationalism & it scares me sometimes.
  11. ^^^

You mean, "psychotic" men.....
  12. I remember a guy appearing on the Jerry Springer show in full disguise. When Jerry asked, the guy said even though he didn't know why he was on the show, he "knows how this show goes." lol Yea, either don't appear in the show or go in disguise.
  13. yes, but....he killed the guy. I don't care how threatened and humiliated he felt, ya just don't go around killing people. And it's not like he jumped out of his chair and strangled him on the spot, either. He went to the guy's house several days after the show had aired and did it. That ain't right.

However, I do agree that those shows go waaaay too far to titillate viewers and drive up ratings. On the other hand, people clearly can't get enough of this kind of stuff. Who's to blame? The shows? The viewing public? The people who willingly appear on those shows, who have to know or at least suspect it ain't gonna be good news? I mean, if Jerry Springer or similar called me up out of the blue and wanted me to appear on a show...I'd say "no thanks, being humiliated on national television just isn't my cup of tea". KWIM?
  14. I won't repeat the word I uttered when I just read that article, but that's pretty scary isn't it? That poor woman and her son who will now have to live with all that. We live in a crazy world.

15. thats what I'm saying. The camera just tapes what it sees.