with all this talk, I have a question about mom breeder dogs

1. So, my DH eventually would like an english Bulldog, or French, and I noticed on the rescue sites that there were some female dogs who had been bred and were now given up.
    I also noticed that there are some show dogs that are "retired".

So is that as horrible as I imagine it to be? that once they are used they are no longer wanted. These dogs were only for breeding or showing, and not loved?
    and why are so many not house trained?

it makes me sick. Is this normal?

2. sounds about right. thats the problem with commerce and breeding. the breeders are not always animal lovers and just see them as machines for whatever their means are. same thing with racing dogs. some people just don't have any respect for nature and only see it as a means to their own selfish ends.

3. *ugh*
    I suppose that is why there are so many Greyhound rescue sites that state they are retired race dogs. Its sad that that is all they are to them. Poor babies have never known love.
    I have heard they are kept in horrible conditions, but have not researched it myself.

4. ^^^ I can't even go there. its too overwhelming. thank God there are people who make it their lifes work to rescue animals in need. I bury myself in my job and take comfort in knowing all my animals are very much loved and cared for everyday - thats the only way I can get through knowing alot of this stuff. Our babies are spoiled.

5. ^ I feel the same way.

It is SICK what human beings will do just to make money. Absolutely sick.

6. Just to be the devil's advocate, maybe it isn't quite what it seems. Some breeders feel like their retired show/breeder dogs will be much happier as pets. That is how I got my dog--the breeder didn't need him any more for showing or breeding but felt he would be much happier if he were a pet and not just another one of her herd of retired dogs. I must say, it has been a great experience--I got a great dog for almost nothing. He is beautiful, happy, trained and incredibly loving.

That isn't to say that the dogs you have come across are in the same situation. If they have been merely used as money-making machines that is DISPICABLE.

7. My brother has 2 retired Grey hounds. One was quite a champion and the other failed miserably. He also has 3 kids 7,10, and 13. The kids love the dogs so much and they have been AMAZING pets. SO sweet, and loving. They were not loved on when they were race dogs, but they sure are now. Im so happy they both found such a loving caring home.

8. I still think you can make a pretty big distinction, though, between a breeder who takes the time to find a good home for their animals that they can no longer breed, versus dropping off your older animals at the pound or with a rescue organization with little care over whether they actually get placed in a proper home.

9. I have 3 retired racing Greyhounds and I can tell you they are the sweetest most affectionate dogs on earth. If I sit on the floor I have 3 70+ pound lap dogs. I am also involved in Greyhound rescue so I see how they come straight from the track. Most of them have fleas and many scrapes and cuts. The fur is rubbed off their butts and legs from rubbing against the cage all day and night. They are kept in a crate 22 hours a day with a muzzle on. They have 2 breaks to eat and another 2 to go to the bathroom. The good racers have a work out and practice race schedule, the ones that are too slow to race are left in their crates until they are either euthanized or put into the adoption program. I will say it is getting better. More race tracks are cooperating with More rescue groups so more dogs find homes. There are still WAY too many dogs that are killed because they are not fast enough to race.

As for retired breeders I think they are a necessary evil. If you are a good breeder not the backyard type you will only breed an animal so many times before they need to retire and become someone's pet. There is one breeder I know that has found many wonderful homes for her retired show/breeding cats. Most of the time there is a very small if any adoption fee. As with anything there are good and bad people involved. You need to research and find the good ones.

10. ^ But do the breeders not love their dogs??? I could, in no good conscience, have a dog for years and once its used up, simply give it away. Do these beasts not get attached to them?! I know that it is better then breeding them to death, but is that the only other option?!!! because it shouldn't be. IF it were me, I would keep her, and get another dog to breed...I cannot see, morally, how someone could go through so many dogs "for the betterment" and not love these dogs as their own children. So it seems to me that these people, who must make sure their dogs go to good homes, are hypocrites if they themselves do not wish to keep that dog for life, giving all the love they have, and a good home to them.
    And if I ever ...ever get another dog from a breeder, I will most definitely be asking these questions.

As far as the Greyhounds go, that all should be illegal. It is appalling.

11. ^ITA...its almost as they are viewed as 'commercial property' instead of living beings...so sad.

12. Of course! I wasn't sure if on the rescue sites if it was the breeder listing the dog for adoption or if it was a rescue society.

13. Well, speaking from experience, there are some bad breeders who just want to make more cash and dump their pets after they are too old to breed. That is very sad and appalling.

My Ragdoll is a retired breeder. We took him in when he was 2 years old (that's very young, you know!) because his owner decided it was time for him to retire. She wanted to find the best home for him so she could keep the amount of cats in her home low so that she could focus on all the ones in her care and give them lots of TLC. She works in the biology field so she's really interested in perfecting the breed, working with genes and stuff... it's pretty cool :yes:

And I'm getting an Aby in September who is also a retired mommy. I went to meet with the breeder and the former owner (who retired from breeding) because they wanted to meet me and make sure we would be the perfect fit for each other. Turns out I just fell in love with the cat and she kept rubbing against me and purring :heart: The breeder is really responsible, she tests her cats for every illness possible and just wants what's best for them.

So basically, what I'm saying is that there are good breeders who want to retire their females, despite loving them, and send them to a good home where they will be often the only pet and where they won't have to deal with the stress of living with other mommies (cats tend to get jealous... especially females between them)... so because they love their cats they want what's best for them. :yes:

Of course I totally disapprove of backyard breeders. Yuck. If I could eradicate them all and pass laws to send them to jail, I would. These people are scum. :cursing: