Home & Garden Window coverings. Your decorating opinions please

la miss

parigote
May 4, 2007
There are so many different options for window coverings: From roman shades to wooden blinds to honeycombs to drapes. Ahhhh. Can anyone share what window covering they chose and why?

I'm working with a decorator but I'd also like some disinterested opinions on the options and what's available.

PS: Can I just say I am appalled by how expensive window shades are! Who knew.

they are expensive. . . but SO important!
What's your goal? Block out light, filter light, don't block view at all. . . .?

We usually go w/ plantation shutters because I like to black out my room for sleeping. Then I get drapes to go over them to soften it up.

I like the venition blinds on my dining room window. So many different adjustments I can make to change the lighting in the room, to see out but others can't see in, open with a tug of a cord, cleans easy with dust spray and one of those fuzzy wand things...

There are so many different options for window coverings: From roman shades to wooden blinds to honeycombs to drapes. Ahhhh. Can anyone share what window covering they chose and why?

I'm working with a decorator but I'd also like some disinterested opinions on the options and what's available.

PS: Can I just say I am appalled by how expensive window shades are! Who knew.

Yes, the are very expensive. No matter where you go OR what you get.

I'm a HUGE fan of plantation shutters. I should have bought them years ago but didn't because of the price. Now that I have them I wish I would have gotten them earlier.

I lot depends on the type of window you have, the style of your house, and your own personal interior style.

I'll see if I can find some pics of my shutters.

When we moved into our house last year, I got pleated shades with blackout lining. I really didn't know what I wanted so I just did that to have something up. I actually now want to change to plantation shutters....my DH wants to kill me. I told him I could wait a couple of years till we get our money's worth out of the shades. :smile:

Swanky, are the shutters easy to maintain?

These were taken shortly after we finished painting. The room looks really bare in these pictures b/c I hadn't moved everything back in but you get the idea.

These are plantation shutters:

shutters.jpg
shutter2.jpg

When we moved into our house last year, I got pleated shades with blackout lining. I really didn't know what I wanted so I just did that to have something up. I actually now want to change to plantation shutters....my DH wants to kill me. I told him I could wait a couple of years till we get our money's worth out of the shades. :smile:

Swanky, are the shutters easy to maintain?

I'm not Swanky but I can say absolutely the easiest to maintain of any window treatment. Yes, you do have to dust them but I just have one of the handheld little swifter things and they are so, so easy.

I can't say enough about them. I would have one on every single window in my house if I could!

At first I was nervous that it would make the window seem "too covered". But when they are opened horizontally you don't even notice and they let the sunshine in. Close them and they totally block the sun.

And they are hinged so you can swing them open if you like, also.

Thanks for answering my question. I am sorry I didn't get these in the first place...they look gorgeous!

Maybe I can talk my DH into changing them one room at a time. :smile:

Gorgeous, Maxter! I love the color you chose for the walls!

Thanks beana90! I was so nervous. Not sure if you can tell from the pic but I am really tied into my design style based on my flooring. I love it but it is a very hard surface and can "seem" very cold. So you have to pick warm type colors to go with it. KWIM? I also can't use any "glass" type tables because those seem too cold too. So I try to make it work.

Red was my first color choice (I would have all red rooms if I could!). But I have a red dining room. So I went with the chocolate brown. I had about 10 different browns painted on the walls before I finally picked this one. Everyone said it would be "too dark" but it really isn't.

Thanks again. I am always so nervous about my design choices. I am NOT an interior designer but I wish I knew one who didn't charge an arm and a leg. LOL