Wiccaweys and its border collies need your help: heartfelt plea

1. Hello there. Some of you might know me as the trying-to-be-helpful-can-be-irritating poster who makes suggestions of all kinds about things she actually is far from knowledgeable about ie bags and jewelry. :smile: The reason why I first started posting on this great forum that is tpf (had lurked for months) was to try to raise a little awareness about Wiccaweys, a rescue for border collies and working sheepdogs run by two absolutely lovely and selfless people called Paul and Sarah. I am'in tears now, having just learnt that Wiccaweys (it's in England) may be forced to close soon unless they can find some new premises and of course funds.

If any of you can help in any way, please feel free to contact Sarah and/or Paul with suggestions/ideas etc.

Thanks so much.

From Wiccaweys' newsletter:

AFTER helping over 300 collies into new homes last year, Wiccaweys were looking forward to a big year this year. Our aim was to rescue even more collies, and find them the loving homes they so richly deserve. Unfortunately Wiccaweys is once again under threat. Veteran Wiccaweys owners will remember that 18 months ago, Wiccaweys was faced with closure because our old landlord wanted to redevelop the property we were in. We have heard in the past few days that Wiccaweys have been refused change of use planning permission at our present location despite being told when we moved in we would not need planning permission. The council are refusing to reconsider the matter and are effectively threatening the rescue with closure. We have the complete support of our landlords, our supporters and organisations across the country.

One of the reasons given to decline our planning permission to have the rescue here is on grounds of ‘noise’. Those who have visited the new premises will know what a ridiculous statement that is – 99% of visitors always comment on how quiet it is here. The Council's Planning Enforcement Officer is coming round on the 9th February to issue us with an enforcement notice. After that date there must be no rescue dogs on the premises and we will not be allowed visitors even to meet foster dogs with their fosterers.
    We will not be allowed to rescue, rehabilitate or rehome any dogs from here. Therefore we have no other option but to look for new premises. We have a few irons in the fire and possibilities, but we need to fundraise so that we will be able to make the move as quickly as possible. The increase in requests for help and the number of dogs coming into rescue over the last year meant that we already needed bigger premises with better facilities – so let’s try to turn this negative into a positive for needy collies everywhere.

This special edition newsletter is designed specifically to let you know what you can do to help us, and contains information about donations, fundraising plans and ideas. We not only want to continue the rescue, rehabilitation and rehoming of Border Collies but also to work towards creating a Border Collie educational centre. We aim to provide more free behavioural advice and training for both the public and other rescue centres. We also aim to promote the responsible ownership of Border Collies through helping people understand the breed, and the needs they have.

So, this is where we turn to you. We need your help and we will get down on our hands and knees and beg for anyone and everyone to help Wiccaweys, so we can continue helping the collies that we all love so much. Collies are too often abused, misunderstood and discarded by others - but these are the dogs that bring so much pleasure, love and intelligence into so many of our lives. You just have to know where to look.
    Please consider joining our £10 appeal and become a Friend Of Wiccaweys.

Wiccaweys Needs You. The Collies Need You.
    You Can Make A Difference.

2. passerby, I adore you and I am a huge dog rescue supporter myself (guess which breed LOL!). My heart goes out to these angels of mercy for the collies, but did you run this by vlad or Megs? I hope it doesn't violate some rule about asking for funds. Maybe since it's clearly not-for-profit it will be ok. I wouldn't want you to get in any trouble. You've been here much longer than I, so you probably know what's ok.

Huge best wishes to this group!!
  3. Boxermom, thanks so much for your concern, and for your best wishes to Wiccaweys, you are a star!

At least two of the threads I started on tpf were about Wiccaweys, the lovely Megs didn't rap me on the knuckles for that (she replied in both threads :smile: ), so I figured it's OK to post about Wiccs' problems on here.

Thanks once again!
  4. Wiccaweys has helped many special dogs but none more so than the late Grandad Brynn and Princess Liberty Bassett, may they both rest in peace.

From the "Rainbow Bridge" section:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=5][COLOR=#999999][B][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][COLOR=#000000]Princess Liberty Bassett [/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=#999999][B][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Libby left us for the Rainbow Bridge and the Summerlands on the 3rd June 2004, very peacefully, with her head resting in my arms, and with Paul tickling her tummy.

Libby was a true inspiration to all that knew her, a treasure blessed upon this world for too short a time.
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
    "Play Happy in the Summerlands Sweet Libby - we love you very much."
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
    Libby was a gorgeous little Bassett Hound puppy who was with us on permanent foster from DashaDogs Rescue in Wales. Libby was a puppy farm reject.

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]She wasn't expected to live being the runt of the litter. She was about 3/4 the size she should be.

When it was realised that Libby was going to survive, but there obviously wasn't any money to be made from her, she was lucky enough to be handed into rescue.
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]She came to Wiccaweys for some TLC and the extra care of Grandad Brynn.

When she arrived, aged 12 weeks, she could sit in the palm of Paul's hand.
    It soon became apparently that our Princess Libby was going to be a permanent resident.

Libby was braindamaged, and she was almost blind. After a little time, she suffered with fits.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]However, despite all this, thanks to the loving attentions and 'doggy guidance' of Grandad Brynn she blossomed into a little sweetheart.

At first she would depend on her Grandad for reassurance when needed, but eventually could go up the garden quite happily and play with the other dogs.

She used to love sitting in front of the fire in the winter, soaking up all the warmth she could.

When she had her eyesight, she used to watch it, fascinated by the flames. Libby was a little fire-worshipper!

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]When Bruno, the big GSD arrived, he and Libby became good friends.
    They both suffered with fits, and I'm convinced that they had their own little epilepsy support group going.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bruno would stay close by when Libby had her fits, and when she came back and was wobberly and disoriented Bruno would put himself in front of anything he considered hard or potentially dangerous to Libby, so she bumped into his big soft body instead.

As Libby came nearer to reaching 1 year old, her fits started to become more violent, and her sight and hearing left her. She always knew where her Uncle Bruno, or Grandad Brynn was, but she didn't really hear us anymore.

We would carry her into the garden, and stay with her while she had a march round under the watchful eye of Bruno or Brynn. She liked to feel the warm sun on her.

Libby like to have cuddle, but on her terms.
    She retained her stubborn bassetty streak right up until she left us.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Last Wednesday night, Libby's balance left her completely and she could no longer get herself around.
    She could no longer find her food bowl, even when placed directly under her nose.
    We managed to tempt her with some tasty and smelly mackeral.
    She slept upstairs with us, and in the morning she was just so tired and weary we knew it was time.
    She still couldn't stand properly and was falling over.
    We managed to give her a favourite breakfast of sardines in sunflower oil and then we made our way to the vets.

Normally Libby loved a ride in the car - sitting up, looking out of the window and generally looking like a Princess, but this time she just slept all the way. She was still asleep at the vets, she woke up once to yawn, licked the vets finger, gave his finger a firm munch, and then when back to sleep again, with her head resting in my arms. She was snoring.

She was fast asleep as she made her way over the bridge, with her head in my arms and Paul tickling her tummy (she loved that).
    She just drifted away. The only way we knew she had crossed was because she stopped snoring.
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Libby was a inspiration. [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
    No matter what happened to her, she always carried on.
    When her eyesight failed, and her hearing disappeared, she just kept marching on. She wouldn't let anything get in her way.

She was a little fighter who knew how to take on the world and win!
    Just when you thought that perhaps it was time for her to go over the bridge, she'd suddenly perk up, have a march around and be just like Libby again.

In her last few weeks it was the simple pleasures she enjoyed the most; sitting in the garden with the grass as a bed; sitting in the sunshine getting her suntan (she also loved wearing a daisychain tiara); and eating fishy snacks!

She had a favourite spot in the hallway where she had her bed and used to hold court. It seems so empty now - even though Bruno is laying there, wondering where she has gone.

She used to stomp around, knocking bowls flying, splashing through the water bowls making an almighty mess!
    We used to have to listen out constantly in case she had a fit and needed our immediate attention.

Without Libby it's so quiet here now. The other dogs makes noise, but they don't make the racket that Libby did!
    Everytime we came into the hallway there would be another Hurricane Libby incident to clean up. Perhaps the water bowl had been tipped on the floor; maybe even the food bowl. Perhaps even a mixture of the two! The mop and the dustpan and brush were in permanent use with Liberty dog around.
    [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
    Somehow it doesn't seem right that it's so quiet and tidy in the hallway.
    Where's our messy little Bassett Hound?

Libby was a very special little girl who made a big impact in our lives.
    We miss her very much.

May your body rest well in the ground,
    And may your Spirit run like the wind across the Bridge to the Summerlands.
    Play happy in the Summerlands Libby.
  5. Update on Wiccaweys: Paul & Sarah are desperately looking for alternative premises and Wiccaweys faces imminent closure if new premises are not found by the end of next week. :sad: One way of raising funds is through an online store, please visit it to see if there are any products that catch your eye. Many thanks.

Wiccaweys Official Online Store