Why the heck can't I make the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie?!?!?!?

1. My husband is away for work and surprised me this afternoon with plane tix to Paris (the drive would be too long for the baby) so that we can be together for Valentines Day. We'll also be accompanying him for the rest of his business trips since he is in Paris with his car...that way we can all travel home together. Anyway!!! That's not the point!

DHs favorite cookies are Chocolate Chip, so I made some for him today. ...and they didn't come out right, again! They always come out like this and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong... :sad:

My chocolate chip cookies always end up really flat...Not like the pretty ones you see in the cookbooks, that are nice, fluffy, etc. Mine sometimes look like pancakes! :sad: I follow the directions of the recipe (so far, I have used the Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe and the Hershey's recipe). My butter is softened, I measure the ingredients exactly...I have no clue what I'm doing wrong!

How can I make the perfect chocolate chip cookie???? :sad:

2. Hmmm...has your baking soda expired?

I have always made the Nestle Toll House recipe and my cookies turn out perfectly.

3. Baking soda expires? :s Hmmm...I dunno!

4. You are beating the batter too long once you add the flour.

Beat/cream the the butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat to a smooth consistency. Then in a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients. Once you dump the dry ingredients in the batter you hardly need to mix them. Just until incorporated. Then stir in the chips and you're done. NO OVERMIXING!!!!

You can also form the dough in balls on the cookie sheet and flatten a little with your hand. Then put in the frig until a little bit hardened and then bake. Make sure you don't bake too long. You can take them out when they still look oooey and goooey. They will still "cook" once they come out of the oven and then they will be more chewy and not so crunchy.

I have a couple of GREAT choc chip recipes. I'll see if I have them on my computer.

Good luck!

5. Hi!

If you're familiar with Food Network, there's a host named Alton Brown, and he did a show on chocolate chip cookies and how you can change the recipe to make them flat and crispy, high and cakey, or somewhere in between. I've tried all three, and they're really all great. And as the previous poster said, please make sure your baking powder is not expired.

Here they are! Enjoy! :yahoo:

The Thin
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
    Ingredients
    2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 egg
    2 ounces milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 sticks unsalted butter
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    Hardware:
    Ice cream scooper (#20 disher, to be exact)
    Parchment paper
    Baking sheets
    Mixer

Directions
    Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking
    soda in a mixing bowl. Combine the egg, milk, and vanilla and bring to room temperature in another bowl. Cream the butter in the mixer's work bowl, starting on low speed to soften the butter. Add the sugars. Increase the speed, and cream the mixture until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed and add the egg mixture slowly. Increase the speed and mix until well combined. Slowly add the flour mixture, scraping the sides of the bowl until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 13 to 15
    minutes, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for more even browning. Remove the cookies from the pans immediately. Once cooled, store in an airtight container.

The Chewy
    2 sticks unsalted butter
    2 1/4 cups bread flour
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 1/4 cups brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 egg yolk
    2 tablespoons milk
    Hardware:
    Parchment paper
    Baking sheets
    Mixer

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
    Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside. Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

The Puffy
    Ingredients
    1 cup butter-flavored shortening
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 1/4 cups cake flour
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 eggs
    Hardware:
    Parchment paper
    Baking sheets
    Mixer

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine the shortening, sugar, and brown
    sugar in the mixer's work bowl, and cream until light and fluffy. In the meantime, sift together the cake flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside. Add the eggs 1 at a time to the creamed mixture. Then add vanilla. Increase the speed until thoroughly incorporated. With the mixer set to low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the shortening and combine well. Stir in the chocolate chips. Chill the dough. Scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 per sheet. Bake for 13 minutes or until golden brown and puffy, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool and store in an airtight-container.

6. Def. check your baking soda/powder.

Also, you can grind up some oatmeal into powder and exchange that for half of the flour in any recipe. You can't taste the oatmeal, but it really helps with the 'bulk' and moisture :smile:

7. I have had the problem of thin cookies in the past. I feel like the best remedy is to make sure that your butter is COLD. Ignore all the recipes that list softened or room temperture butter. Cut the COLD butter into small 1/2 inch cubes. I have two cookie sheets, so while one is baking, I prepare the second sheet. Then I refrigerate the bowl of the remaining dough to ensure that my dough remains cold. Also, I like to use silpats, which I think helps minimize the spreading.

8. I use veg. shortening instead of butter, dunno why, that's jjst how my mom taught me. My cookies come out quite 'fluffy".

9. My cookies always came out flat until I started putting the dough in the fridge to make it cold. Now they are nice and fluffy!

10. I use the Tollhouse recipe, and mine come out perfect, too!

11. Do you just mix everything together, or do you separate the two groups of ingredients and then add the dry to the wet?

12. This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Butter flattens and margarine/shortening does not. The best chocolate chip cookies IMO use part butter, part shortening...

13. Nope, I have a "dry" and a wet bowl.

It could have been that I mixed too long when adding the dry ingridients. My mixer seemed to crap out on me when I added them (wouldn't turn anymore, POS!) so I had to do it by hand...That wasn't easy either, lol!

It also could have been when I formed the balls with two spoons...Maybe I did it too much? Hopefully they come out better next time!

14. here i have a Tried and Tested recipe for you !

Note:this is a Crispy type of Chocolate chip cookies

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ingredients:

250 gm. Butter (room temperature)
    1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
    125 gm. castor sugar
    125 gm. light brown sugar
    1 Large egg
    320 gm. plain flour (For Chocolate flavour cookies used 290 gm Plain flour + 30 gm Cocoa Powder)
    1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
    200 gm. Dark or Milk chocolate chips
    100 gm. chopped walnuts - coarsely chopped

Method:

(1) Beat butter, vanilla essence, sugar and egg with electric mixer until smooth.(beat for about 3 mins only)
    (2) Add in flour and bicarbonate of soda and stir in chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
    (3) Drop level tablespoon of mixture onto trays(lined with baking paper) and bake at preheated at 180C for 15 - 20 mins. or till golden brown.
    (4) Cool on wire rack before storing in cookie containers.

Enjoy !
    Recipe and photo's credit to my sister Yochana :heart:

15. Test your baking Soda by add a couple tablespoons of white vinegar into a small cup, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda. If it froths, even a little, it's good !