Why not using serial no. or special hologram to combat fake LV?

1. I'm curious as to why LV don't use some kind of serial no. or special hologram to combat fake goods? Most luxury watch brands do this (S/N, some have holograms like Rolex) and it is very effective for very expensive watches (like Patek, AP, Omega, etc.) Some kinds of serial numbers can be use to check authenticity easily if a questionable bag is brought to an LV boutique. For example, if I buy a 10k+ Patek, I would surely ask PP to check the authenticity of the watch based on their registration of the watch (and that cannot be fake since the PP hold the original registration record). The same should do with $1k+ bags. A hologram is less effective but still it is another thing that fake producers have to imitate and can be very hard to do.

It is actually amazing that there are so many fake LV bags on the street. It will be even more shocking if one day, fake LV look identical to a real LV.

P.S. I have no doubt that one day, a fake LV will look so good that photos alone will not be enough to tell them apart. I recently saw a fake Paneria (a luxury watch brand) that look almost identical to the real deal and I can tell that it is fake only because I compare it with a real one side-by-side and I know enough about Paneria. And the fake one cost 1/10th of the real one.
  2. I honestly think LVMH doesn't care too much about fakes. It's like free advertising for them. If they did, they sure would get cracking on all the fakes being out there. How long did it take them to shut down Bergacci.com?! Oh, you mean it's still operating? My point EXACTLY!:upsidedown:
  3. ^^ Good point. Never thought about that.
  4. Good point. I agree with Irene, free advertising. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right?

Its scary, as they are making fakes that almost look as good as the real ones!
  5. Well an article awhile ago in Harper's Bazaar had a whole thing on fakes and LVMH was one of the companies that was working to shut down this "alley" that sold fakes in China. They were going to sue the landlords if any of the tenants kept letting tenants sell counterfeit items.
    So it's not that they don't care, it's just that it's really hard..it's illegal to sell counterfeit items but you can't really go after them, seeing as how many aren't produced in the U.S. and aren't subject to the same laws.
    That same article even had an idea that was proposed by these fashion houses in order to tell fake bags from the real thing; it was that some kind of device would be placed in the authentic bags and when another device was held up to the bag and you looked through the lens, the bag would glow. How and when this would actually be used is anyone's guess, but they do care about fakes, it's just hard to go after people when most of them are back alley operations.
  6. ys, i agree with Lvbabydoll, they did sued the companies but it would cost them a lot to do that. there's like gazillion of companies they'll need to sue to eliminate all the fakes production factory