Why not get the Speedy 25, 30, 35 brand new?

i think the speedy looks 1000x better with a patina and i'm too impatient to patina my own in a window before i use it. so i got one i liked better for $250 less, lol.

Because some people think LV bags actually get better with age, like fine wine. :smile: If you buy them brand new, they will just end up with that honey color sooner or later, so if it's easier financially, why not save a few hundred bucks.

i like patina on my bag and it's winter so i can't tan my bag...and i didn't want to wait, so i got an older one to use as a kick around bag, and maybe in the future i'll buy a brand new one.

I've never owned a LV--how long does it take for patina generally? I have a coach wallet that has a vachetta interior--I've had it for almost 2 years and still no "real" patina--but it's also on the inside and not the outside....

I bought a brand new Speedy and I'm trying to find a way to age the handles! I don't like carrying them when the handles look brand-new. Any suggestions?

IntlSet said:
I bought a brand new Speedy and I'm trying to find a way to age the handles! I don't like carrying them when the handles look brand-new. Any suggestions?

Leave it by a sunny window or outside in the nice weather for a few days. It didn't take long for mine to deepen when I did that.

I've noticed that if you live in a cold climate and you're not out in the sun much in the winter, the bags take a really long time for the trim to darken. I have three new LV's with the light leather and they are not changing very quickly because I live in NH - trust me on this - the snow reflection does nothing to darken the bags!!
One of the 3 bags was changing nicely (my Hudson) but I had to have it replaced, so now I have a brand new one with the super light leather, so I have to start from scratch. I'm going somewhere sunny next week, but only bringing one bag, so at least I get to decide which one I want to bring and darken up.
I'm not really complaining because I could have much worse problems, but I know what you mean about the patina. Once there's a patina, there's less worrying about water stains too.

I'm in agreeance with most people here. I'm too impatient to wait for it to patina. I have a co-worker who purchased a Cabas Piano last December, and the patina is just now at a honey color.

I was 95% sure of buying it new, but when I went to the LV store to look at it, I really didn't like it new. All the better because I ended up saving a few hundred dollars...towards another bag ;) !

ShopRodeo said:
Why do some of you get vintage ones off ebay? Why not pay retail and get it brand new?

As far as my Speedy, I did buy it new. Why do I buy vintage LV? I collect LV so I love the older pieces and the history that comes with it. And with LV, the value goes up with time.