Why is terrorism always the reason, handbags, diamonds...

I hate to see a discussion on handbags turn to politics. I don't know what to say about our current foreign policy as I don't think I have all the facts, but I remember 9/11 and I can tell you most of the people in the country were ready to attack someone. Unfortunately, we seem to have gotten into a situation we can't get out of.
I doubt anyone has the facts unless you work for the CIA or the National Security Agency. My father worked for the federal government for about 30 years, so this is why I feel this way.
I know Bush is a horribly unpopular president. At the time of the last election, however, I remember Kerry botching the last debate, many people feeling uncertain about changing administrations in the middle of a war, etc.
Kerry also managed to talk about our troops recently and pretty much call them uneducated. Prior to the election his wife managed to say a few off color remarks as well.
I also remember this phrase during the last election: "If God wanted us to vote he would have given us candidates." Personally, I didn't like either one of them.

i'm sorry, but why would LV increase their prices if there are more fakes?

i mean wouldn't they want to be more competitive by lowering their prices instead of becoming less competitive by increasing their prices?

i think the only reason they increase their price is because there are more demands, and based on economic 101 increased demands = increased prices?

instead of looking the price increase as a bad thing, why dont we all look at it from a different angle.

imagine if you bought a speedy 5 years ago or something (LV is supposed to last many years right..), aren't you happy that your bag has increased in price instead of decreased?

its like luxury watches (rolex, etc etc), they also increase in price from year to year, and its a good thing.

imagine if their price stays the same over the years, and everything else changes (eg. wages increase). that will make more and more people be able to buy LV easily.

i'm not so sure if that is a good thing, as LV will become something common and not associated with a luxury which we all enjoy and love at the moment.
No matter how I look at it...any increase in price is never a good thing..:sad:

Sorry, I didn't mean to take the post off-topic, my comments about Bush definitely were way OT :noggin:. But to my partial defense, I think the nature of the post is political.
I can give you a response of what I believe about the whole terrorism and fake purses relationship but I have a feeling most of the people on the board won't like it. I would like to hear others' opinions though, hopefully I am not the only one who feels like they are being duped???

I believe that LV and other designer labels are using terrorism as an excuse to put down fakes and then, in turn, using the presence of fakes to justify their outrageous price increases. I am of course against counterfeits and fakes for the very reason that it's just plain poser-ish to try to be what you're not. Not to mention fakes look totally gross :throwup: But I do understand why people would want to buy them. They want to appear of a higher social status than they really are. It only makes me more grateful that I am lucky enough to afford LV. I think that the standard of living of those of us on this forum tend to be much higher than the rest of America. And for those who scrimp and save to afford LV one piece at a time, of course I don't blame you for doing so, but would you honestly do the same if the status associated with carrying an LV was not there?

Today the status symbol is stronger than ever and I think materialism in our society has multiplied in the past 10 years. Not to say it was never there before, but the line between the haves and have-nots has never been more clear, so to speak, because it's so easy to show off your status (real or faked). In this new bourgeois society you're judged by the bag you carry, what you wear, and the car you drive. Did you know that over 80% of BMW and Mercedes cars moved off lots today are LEASED? This has jumped up from about 30% 10 years ago, and the sheer number of cars moved has increased exponentially as well. These cars used to be rare because only those who could truly afford to owned them, but now they are a dime a dozen. It's so clear that people are buying into image so much more. $1000 is the new $100. So what does LV do? They're not stupid... they jump on the opportunity to expand profits whenever possible. They're going to increase the prices (3 times this year, to be exact) because they CAN, because people today more than ever are willing to buy into luxury and image.
The fake backlash has not cut into their sales, but rather into their image, persay. The whole matter boils down to copyright infringement, the same law you would use for prosecuting illegal downloading and file sharing. The problem with this is that it's a gray-area law. Nobody is technically being hurt by infringing on a label or person's copyright. On top of that, it's really hard to care when the only victim is a phenomenally rich corporation. Honestly, does everyone on the board that has such strong convictions against fake purses also take an equivalent stance against illegal music downloading? Did you pay for every mp3 song on your iPod? So, in order for LV to strengthen their own cause against fakes, they try to appeal to pathos by citing terrorism as linked to fakes. They saw how passionately people responded against 9/11, so by using terrorism as their own scapegoat they hope to incite the same feelings in people and rally them up against fakes. Pretty convenient huh? The bottom line is NOBODY REALLY BENEFITS other than the luxury goods labels.

It doesn't make sense that LV justifies that they need to increase their prices because they are losing business to the fake market. That is simply not true. Do you think the woman who bought her fake $50 speedy would have gone out and bought the real one for over $500 more if the opportunity to get a fake was not there? Probably not, or she would have just gotten the real one in the first place. LV is putting together a lawsuit to sue eBay for an amount that equals their set retail values for every documented fake sold. Now that's just corporate greed. Of course, eBay itself is not blameless, they proliferated the fake market as well by turning a blind eye to transactions dealing with fake LV.
There are no credible sources that i've seen linking fake bags to terrorism. After all, every fake i've seen comes out of China. I especially don't see radical Islamic terrorists churning out fake copies of luxury goods, this is completely laughable. I liked the person's joke earlier up the thread about Osama's "brilliant idea". LV and the other brands must really think we are stupid to believe their rumor. Why would the terrorists be hypocrites and completely undermine their ideals that Western materialism is evil and ungodly? Even if they are copies, they are meant to be facsimiles of the real thing. When was the last time you saw an iOffer or fake ebay seller operating out of the Middle East?
The mafia/organized crime may be involved in counterfeit goods, but of these, handbags are far less lucrative than counterfeiting money itself, drugs (recreational and pharmaceutical), and alcohol. Think about the time it would take to put a purse together (which has lots of materials, assembly, sewing, etc.) than to make any of the above goods. They're out to make a QUICK buck. Think about the number of people with skills to make bags you need to round up to operate a fake bag ring. Probably not their business venture of choice.... The reason why counterfeiters set up shop in Mexico, China and other parts of Asia is that there is cheap labor where people are willing to do this work for the wage they receive. It would be just as good a job as anything else they can get in their situation, so nobody is being taken advantage of. The "sweatshops" where child labor is supposedly being exploited? The only ones exploiting them, I believe, are the luxury brands who spread rumors about the link to terrorism. Yeah, it totally sucks for the workers if these are the conditions in which fakes are being made, but nobody is being forced to work there. Any other line of work they could get would require the same hours and labor. Just feel blessed that you live in America.

As for diamonds retailers, they are again trying to appeal to the pathos to bring down the cartels to boost their own sales. Ironically, if they were more successful against the cartels the diamond trade would collapse. Diamonds, against other precious metals and stones, are the only ones to increase in value every year (others fluctuate up and down) despite the value being an illusion. Everyone wants a diamond, but only because there is a falsehood that they are scarce although the intrinsic value is low. After diamond mines by the Orange River in South Africa were discovered, diamonds stopped being rare. The cartels, DeBeers in particular, had to protect their profits so they established themselves as a monopoly and proliferated this idea that they are a rare commodity by only releasing a tiny percentage of available diamonds each year to keep the business lucrative (Supply goes down, demand goes up, value rises). It doesn't mean that blood diamonds are not blood diamonds. The mining business is fairly dangerous, lots of deaths occur from mining itself, but casualties are mostly from turf wars and the exclusive rights to mine there. Since diamonds are the only major export for that area of the world, there will be a lot of people fighting to gain a share. But the statistic that a certain number of people die per carat mined, blah blah blah, is exaggerated. Cartels are a NECESSARY EVIL to keep the diamond trade alive, control the values (without them your diamond would be worthless), so other retailers capitalize on these claims to keep their own sales going.

I should get off my soapbox now, this has been excessively long, but I hope for those that read it they will stop advocating the terrorist rumors by circulating it as the reason why fakes are bad unless they have seen solid, credible proof. I sure would like to see this too.

I believe that LV and other designer labels are using terrorism as an excuse to put down fakes and then, in turn, using the presence of fakes to justify their outrageous price increases.

I agree! I mean, CDs and DVDs are "counterfeited" to an even greater extent, and if every recording company increased their prices like LV, CDs and DVDs would be unaffordable!!!

But then again it may be a good thing that LV's prices are so high...the prices add a level of prestige to the brand that makes the brands' products that much more desirable and luxurious.

Very informative post LV LOVE wow. And it all makes perfect sense. And you made such a great point about the pirated music.

Yes, I have seen such articles before in doing my own research. Of course the "terrorists", in the broadest sense of the term, are involved in counterfeiting to raise funds. The CIA investigative report on Al Qaeda even recovered training manuals that suggested counterfeiting CDs and movies as one of the ways to raise money. But this is only one of the many ways, which also include drug trafficking, money laundering, scams, theft, etc. International criminals and organized crime will have dabbled in just about every form of criminal activity there is.
Unfortunately I have yet to hear any reports about busts linking counterfeit luxury goods to terrorist activity. My good friend has been employed by the LVMH group's fashion marketing division for almost 10 years. She has even admitted to me that there has been no solid proof linking copyright infringement of their company to any terrorist activity. They did have instances of the Russian Mafia selling fake alcohol which may or may not have affected them, but who knows? Also she said in 1993 there was speculation that the WTC bombing was in part funded by the sale of fake Kate Spades. I don't know the source of speculation but this was never validated. Kate Spade Company in fact sued for the negative press it brought them which reflected in their sales.
Fakes have always been on the scene, but especially in the last 5-10 years they have become an especially big problem for LVMH. For example, LV brand recognition really came up in the last 5 years, which has been a historic first for the company. However, with the brand awareness the consequence was a cheapening of their company image due to the explosion of fakes in recent years. There is a so-called arms race as she described it to me, in which fakes have been getting increasingly better and growing exponentially. In turn, the company has to get international law prosecutors to cooperate with them against their cause. They started to raise a lot of speculation about counterfeit purses being linked to terrorism as a way to counter fakes, or at least put an evil face on the problem that everyone could side with. Especially after 9/11 they issued lots of statements on this to raise even more speculation. The problem with this is that terrorism can't be blamed for the presence of counterfeit luxury goods. If you think about it, they will always be faked as long as their products continue to represent class disparity and people wish to own their product.
They continue to increase prices to make the brand more "out of reach" of the majority as they see that people have become more lenient to paying the exorbitant prices for their products. They spend a good chunk of time covering this issue in meetings. It would make sense if they were returning the increased profits to improving product quality. However, and I let my friend know this all the time, I and others have seen LV quality going down the drain lately. She has admitted that the ratio of complaints and defective merchandise they have had in the last few years in relation to total sales has been the highest.
Smart PR on their part (hey they've gotten tPF members to think that when they buy a fake they are funding terrorism) but I think it's horrible that they are perpetuating this rumor without proof. Someone at the top of the tier is definitely making lots of money when they enter a criminal business venture like counterfeiting LV, but it does not mean that money is being funneled into terrorism. To me it's like they are jumping on the bandwagon blaming terrorism for the root of all problems. Again, I am in no way condoning fakes. I'm just the type of person to do all the research and uncover as much evidence as I can before making my decisions. And sometimes it's not as neat and clear-cut as you'd like it to be.

The most honest, and shortest, answer to the original poster's question is:

Because rich men want more money.

Anything beyond that would, in my opinion, be more appropriately addressed on a different forum, and it would be more prudent to address it on one that resides on a non-US server.

This thread will be closed immediately if you guys can't find a way to talk about the ACTUAL TOPIC here.
It's very disrespectful to the entire Forum and people who want to read about the intended topic to go off on tangents like this.
A little OT once in a while is fine, but this is a little hardcore.
Back on track please?

:back2topic:

Before I start, I am against replica, fake whatever you wanna call them handbags. I own two that were both gifts which I have explained in other posts.

That said, why is it that when people here mention replicas, automatically funding terrorism comes up? Is there an article or information on this? Can someone post a link to it so I can settle an argument with my sister in law? I've searched and can't find anything.
My sister in law is a vegan, very politically correct and also a hypocrit. She hates my LV's because of the leather and the animals lives it took to make them...I'm just searching for information on how replica handbags are tied to terrorism to prove a point to her. She condems my handbags but loves her huge shiny diamond and drinks a ton of coffee a day...do you know how many HUMAN BEINGS it kills to mine just a single carat of diamond...or how many men, women and children are beaten, enslaved and worked to death in Columbia and Africa picking beans?
The True cost of Diamonds - Amnesty International
As of 2006, for each rough carat mined, 7-15 men and children are killed. Those who refuse to work in the mines have their arms cut off. My diamond is a Canadian Mined Diamond, no one died for it.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

i agree with you..... there are people who are hypocrit.

i for one did not know about the diamond thing until my good frined (who is a big time hippy) told me about it. since then, i dont want to buy diamonds anymore. i even consider selling my engagement and wedding ring. i feel like i have sinned whenever i wear my diamond jewelry.

as far as coffee is concerned.... yes... i have given up coffee a long.... time ago. not because the enslaved children in the coffee plantation, but because coffee has helped in killing endangered animals. i feel like when i drink a cup of coffee, i kill a little sumatran tiger cub.

like you... it bugs me when people hate fakes but still buy huge diamond and drink tons of coffee. but hey.... its their problem.
i am a firm believer in karma.... someday karma will get them for it.