Why do u spend thousands on a bag?!

I do not splurge and just buy any brand names. I do my research (on quality, care and maintenance required, etc.) before I decide to spend $$ on purses.

That's what I try to do, I can't buy really expensive designer bags (maybe in the future, who knows) but I do my research on mid-range ones too. I stopped buying non-leather bags (with the exception of the Longchamp Le pliage that I love) because I didn't like them that much and I got tired of them after a while. Now I prefer to buy rarely, but they're classic and good quality pieces and I know I'll enjoy them for a longer time.

That's what I try to do, I can't buy really expensive designer bags (maybe in the future, who knows) but I do my research on mid-range ones too. I stopped buying non-leather bags (with the exception of the Longchamp Le pliage that I love) because I didn't like them that much and I got tired of them after a while. Now I prefer to buy rarely, but they're classic and good quality pieces and I know I'll enjoy them for a longer time.

I bought Longchamp Le Pliage as well for use in heavy rainy days. I also use my nylon MBMJ or Le Sportsac bags as my travelling bag (I don't like carrying leather bags when I travel, less worry about ruining expensive bags).

...because I'm irrational when it comes to bags. IMO, I don't think any bag is truly worth over $2K, except maybe Hermes.
I agree with your post. I don't think Hermes is worth more either unless it has a diamond encrusted lock. Leather is leather. A calf is a calf. It's all the same stuff, just different name. Of course a $20 leather bag may not last as long as a $500 bag, although I have had cheap bags that lasted for years. Depends how you care for them. It's just irrational like you said. Makes us feel good.

Reactions: lovieluvslux
I really like this thought process!
I think the one good thing a year is a great idea. It's just so hard once you buy the first, you have to wait 364 days for another and then you may miss out on something you love. It actually becomes an addiction and not a good one for the average woman who cant afford it. I started buying high end bags at around 32. My first was a Coach bag about $400. Coach is beautiful and probably one of the best for quality still but now at 52, I think of Coach as a run around casual bag. I promoted to LV and Chloe, a couple of Fendis and a couple of Valentinos. The desire grows. It was on one occasion, maybe birthday. Then two occasions, birthday and anniversary. Now it's, birthday, anniversary and mother's day. I can find a thousand occasions a year to buy a new bag. Lol

First off, quality.
Second, the years I see myself using it. I can go years and years of no buy, just buying 1 expensive one. My LV Neverfull MM has held 12 years (and it was still good) til’ I decided it is time to part ways with her. I was not into purses for a decade, just got her and an LV Batignolles Horizontal in my collection and they both aged well.

on the contrary, my mom got me a non branded bag off a sale here in HK and the handles are about to snap already and it is not cheap cheap.

so I do believe in the saying you get what you paid for.

because I like pretty things. and the pretty things I happen to like cost thousands.
Agree. I just buy the bags that I think are beautiful, high quality and functional. They just happen to cost thousands of dollars. The cost isn’t the consideration for me. I’m simply buying the bag I want at the price “they” charge for it.

I don’t know why bags are singled out as a question on price. People spend tons of money on cars, boats, guns, crystal knick knacks, watches, art...

We all just buy what we like. Simple.

I think the one good thing a year is a great idea. It's just so hard once you buy the first, you have to wait 364 days for another and then you may miss out on something you love. It actually becomes an addiction and not a good one for the average woman who cant afford it. I started buying high end bags at around 32. My first was a Coach bag about $400. Coach is beautiful and probably one of the best for quality still but now at 52, I think of Coach as a run around casual bag. I promoted to LV and Chloe, a couple of Fendis and a couple of Valentinos. The desire grows. It was on one occasion, maybe birthday. Then two occasions, birthday and anniversary. Now it's, birthday, anniversary and mother's day. I can find a thousand occasions a year to buy a new bag. Lol
[/QUOTE
COVID-19 was my new excuse to buy 3 high end bags in the past 3 months. YSL,Valentino and a Chloe. My reasoning....life is too short and as long as the bills are paid, food is on the table, why not? My mom passed away a year ago. She loved bags but never bought expensive. A great bag to her was a $100 bag in Macy's on sale for $50. She was right. That was beyond good enough but I feel bad that she never had the luxury of owning something of this caliber. She never asked to borrow my bags because she was afraid of ruining it, lol. So I say now, if it makes you happy....

COVID-19 was my new excuse to buy 3 high end bags in the past 3 months. YSL,Valentino and a Chloe. My reasoning....life is too short and as long as the bills are paid, food is on the table, why not? My mom passed away a year ago. She loved bags but never bought expensive. A great bag to her was a $100 bag in Macy's on sale for $50. She was right. That was beyond good enough but I feel bad that she never had the luxury of owning something of this caliber. She never asked to borrow my bags because she was afraid of ruining it, lol. So I say now, if it makes you happy....

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother.

I still don't spend thousands on a bag. Until I bought a 2014 Givenchy Nightingale Micro from Fashionphile a few weeks ago, I hadn't bought a bag in five years! It was $380. I like to get the best quality I can afford, so I hunt around on resale sites! Retail was $1,900 -- which I think is ridiculous cos the bag is quite small.

For me it’s the styles that I like and the price they just happen to be. For example, Chanel is my favorite. I don’t believe in fakes so if I want a Classic Flap, that’s the price I have to pay to have/wear that style, just no way around it

Buying a handbag is kinda like buying a lipstick. Can never have too many of the perfect one. Let me vent for just a second. I get so aggravated while scrolling on POSHMARK, E-BAY or any other site and the seller does not add measurements. REALLY? Have to stop, send a message, wait for reply. In the mean time, I could change my mind. Thanks!! I needed to get that off my chest.:smile: