Why do some people do this?!

Well, I carry purell. Also, I dont touch my face at all unless I wash my hands first. So I'll shake hands, touch surfaces I just wont go from doing those things to rubbing my eyes, nose lips etc.. The very first thing I do when I get home is wash my hands. It's not that I am avoiding people like the plague but I do avoid obviously ill people & practice good hygiene.

Really, the OP is annoyed with un-invited touching.

I repeat, it's not just about germs, although that is a signifiant part. I'm not asking you to wear gloves. Just don't touch me or my kid without permission just because you like strangers to touch you. Thanks. I hope you are not feeling ganged up on, just want you to understand where I'm coming from. :flowers:

Not feeling ganged up...not at all, I just disagree, especially when an someone bends down to speak to a child..and happens to touch their hand, and says something like, 'aren't you being a big boy helping mommy today...or oh, I like your coveralls'...you know what I mean...people who are just being friendly. Believe me your child is exposed to much worse daily then an occasional touch by a stranger.

Well, I carry purell. Also, I dont touch my face at all unless I wash my hands first. So I'll shake hands, touch surfaces I just wont go from doing those things to rubbing my eyes, nose lips etc.. The very first thing I do when I get home is wash my hands. It's not that I am avoiding people like the plague but I do avoid obviously ill people & practice good hygiene.

Really, the OP is annoyed with un-invited touching.

Just curious have you seen the studies on how bad the purell and other sanitizers are for you? Doctor's seriously say it's worst thing offered to the public today, totally counter productive and contributing to all the strains of resistant virus' that have been exponentially increasing every year.

tink, you don't know when you touch other's babies, what that child is dealing with. Most children have healthy immune systems, but some children are preemies and have other conditions. These children can get an infection from you that wouldn't kill you, but could kill them! You never know. Bottom line is, don't touch strangers' children!

If my child had such a condition, I would gently say, "oh, please don't touch him, he has a bad immune system"...no need for anger.

Just curious have you seen the studies on how bad the purell and other sanitizers are for you? Doctor's seriously say it's worst thing offered to the public today, totally counter productive and contributing to all the strains of resistant virus' that have been exponentially increasing every year.

I dont apply it like lotion, only when needed. I havent had the flu or so much as a cold since maybe 2003? I know from 2004 to today I have not been ill whatsoever. I contribute my good health to staying away from sick people, good hygiene, disinfecting & genes.

If my child had such a condition, I would gently say, "oh, please don't touch him, he has a bad immune system"...no need for anger.
My point is that this person should not touch the child in the FIRST place because they don't know if this is the case or not among other reasons; my reaction is an aside.

Yes, there always are worse things, but that doesn't make something that's bad not bad anymore. The fact that they are friendly and don't have any ill intention doesn't make their actions right, as I said before.

My mom used to get stopped all the time when she took my little sister out by strangers who wanted to touch her hair. She has super curly hair and apparently in hispanic culture it is considered good luck to touch a child's curly hair. My mom said that sometimes people would ask other times they would just come over and pat her head. Weird to me though.

My point is that this person should not touch the child in the FIRST place because they don't know if this is the case or not among other reasons; my reaction is an aside.

Yes, there always are worse things, but that doesn't make something that's bad not bad anymore. The fact that they are friendly and don't have any ill intention doesn't make their actions right, as I said before.

I guess the root of our disagreement is I don't think it's bad.

As I said before, I would rather have a kind, involved, aware person happen to touch my childs hand in casual conversation, than either....
A. An indifferent, apathetic society or
B. The person who has ill intentions, but keeps their distance as not to raise any red flags.

We insulate and isolate ourselves today so much we have things like Columbine happen...and everyone says, I never knew, I never noticed.

Of course intent matters...If I turn around quickly and my elbow catches you square in the eye, that's the same as if I hit you in the eye?....obviuosly intent matters.

Chances are those with malice afore thought is not going call attention to themselves by conversing with you and your child.

I guess the root of our disagreement is I don't think it's bad...
As I said before, I would rather have a kind, involved, aware person happen to touch my childs hand in casual conversation, than either....
A. An indifferent, apathetic society or
B. The person who has ill intentions, but keeps their distance as not to raise any red flags.

We insulate and isolate ourselves today so much we have things like Columbine happen...and everyone says, I never knew, I never noticed.

Another thing that irks me, is common sense...of course intent matters...and chances are those with malice afore thought is not going call attention to themselves.

If I turn around quickly and my elbow catches you square in the eye, that's the same as if I hit you in the eye?....obviuosly intent matters.

Twinkle.tink, I agree wtih you--I wouldn't mind a kindly stranger touching my child, or my dogs (since I don't have a child) on the head, as long as he or she asks me first. I do agree with you that we are becoming quite a paranoid society.

I dont apply it like lotion, only when needed. I havent had the flu or so much as a cold since maybe 2003? I know from 2004 to today I have not been ill whatsoever. I contribute my good health to staying away from sick people, good hygiene, disinfecting & genes.

That's great for you, and I wish you continued good health.....

but, studies just don't support connection of sanitizers and health. As, I mentioned most doctors and scientist agree for the average person they do more long term damage than good, and the consequences for children they predict are going to continue to multiple and affect society as a whole. Again, they have their place and can be good, but only used in moderation and when absolutly needed.

I, myself, haven't been sick since the superbowl between the Pats and Eagles (off to look that up)...OK, February 2005, and I can't remember before then...yet, I have 3 kids, volunteer in a hospital, at the school and with the homeless. The only time I use sanitizer is when I am entering the ICU at the hospital, for the patients protection, not mine....which is an appropriate use for it. If people continue to over use it, it won't be long before it is no longer effective, and those really at risk will suffer.

I know exactly how you're feeling! I have a 3 year old and he's very friendly. He loves to go up to people and say hello, have a little conversation with them. For some strange reason, some people think it's okay to touch other people's children. The thing that really erks the hell out of me...is when they touch my son's head!!!! What I want to say is "FRICKEN DEMON! I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOUR HANDS CAME FROM, OR WHO THE HELL YOU ARE BUT DON'T YOU EVER TOUCH MY KID AGAIN!" I have a really bad problem with people touching my head, my children's head, just people touching period. I guess it's a spiritual thing I'm not sure. But it's a really good way to get me on edge.

Beyond Purell, disinfectants kill bacteria/germs such as Salmonella, so I am not going to stop using them. Hospitals have automoatic hand sanitzers located throughout the facility so they must feel the benefits outweigh the risks. What Dr.'s need to do to if they want to protect people is stop prescribing antibiotics like candy.