why do people think it's ok to say mean things to waitresses???

I love waitresses! They bring me food. Okay, I do prefer a nice hunky waiter, but oh well. Anyway, the waiter/waitress makes or breaks the dining experience and I love the really good ones. I do not go back to places which have crappy service.
My sister is also a waitress and she, too, has the same problem with people being mean. Okay, jack***, if the wait staff was not at the restaurant where YOU chose to eat, then you would not have a clean table and no one would bring your food to you! Why are you being mean to them?
I work in retail and people also can be mean and try to denegrate my job. Alright, what are you going to do when you want to buy your snacks, groceries or whatever and there are no stores so you can do that? Guess you're going to have to raise your own livestock and grow your own food.
I hope you have a better day,
Kate

Marly said:
Everyone- be nice to waitresses- they are handling your food!:sneaky:

This is true! Years ago, I waited tables in a busy Mexican restaurant near campus, and some of the jock-type guys were really rude. One day, a particularly rude guy wanted his nachos spicy, so I had the cooks make them SPICY!!! They took the container with the chopped jalapenos and drained the juice onto his nachos. Of course, being the kind of fellow he was, he couldn't let the other guys know that it was too hot.:lol: And I got 'so busy' that it took me a while to get back to his table with more water:graucho:.

Sorry you have to deal with jerks, but I also know that there are some really, REALLY nice customers to counter the challenging ones.

thank you all for your kind words (and fun stories)!

really it's probably less than 1 in 10 customers who make you want to tear your hair out...most people are super sweet. hopefully i'll get more of those tonight. :smile:

omg that is disgusting that someone thinks that they have the right to speak to you like that.

I understand if someone strikes up a conversation. BUt that's fing rude and obnoxious.

Did you read the article about how some of the CEO would judge their future employees on how they treated waiters/waitresses? How you treat waiters/waitresses reflects on how you will treat people who work below you in a job.

I did a week as a waitress so I know how hard the work is and that tips aren't a given.

to be honest, I at times say mean things about waitresses/waiters but never in front of their face especially if the service is so horrible.. but no, I would not be rude enough to be saying inappropriate things to ppl I hardly know...

i believe that people should be respectful regardless if you are a waitress or not. just because you are paying for a service, you don't have to be mean unless of course if the service is unexpectably rude or bad. i always say my thanks you's every time the waiter/waitress comes around the table. i find that when you are nice to people, it makes their day, most of the time.

by the way, what is a townie? i went thru the thread but didn't see the definition.

That's terrible they were so rude to you! There is no reason whatsoever for them to do that, and it's unexcusable!

I try to be as nice as possible to waiters and waitresses.

sea4e said:
Did you read the article about how some of the CEO would judge their future employees on how they treated waiters/waitresses? How you treat waiters/waitresses reflects on how you will treat people who work below you in a job.
quote]

I always take applicants to lunch for a final interview just for this reason. Imagine how they would reflect on the firm if they treated an assistant, cleaning staff or mailroom attendant poorly at an important client? You can really tell a lot about a person as they let their guard down over lunch. Also works wonders for a date. If he's a jerk to the waitress, he'll eventually be a jerk to me.

Ok, don't flame me for this ... I usually dine alone and I found that whenever I do that, the waiter/waitress doesn't like to give me the time of day (probably because the more the people, the higher the tip so me being by myself does not mean good tip?). However, regardless of how crappy I get treated, I will never be rude to the waiter or waitress. I believe in treating people with respect. HOWEVER, the one thing I WILL do when is that I will leave tips in accordance to the service. While most of the waiters and waitresses that I encounter are courteous and efficient, I have encountered some that were outright rude and some were even racist (an incident in Solvang came to mind); in those cases, I didn't leave a tip at all.

Care said:
Sorry that you had a rough shift!!

I feel embarrassed my friends who ate out with me was rude or under-tip our waiter/waitress..... I often tend to over thank my waiting staff (like say thank you everytime they come by my table) that my friends think it's annoying..but I don't care because it's basic decency...

ME TOO! Typically they seem to be working so hard and I cant help but thank them everytime they refill my water or approach the table in anyway. I insist my children do the same.
I think it can be very telling how people treat wait-staff. I read once that at job interviews involving lunch out, particular attention is paid to how the interviewee behaves with waiters and other service employees.