Why do people love/buy Chanel, LV, Gucci, expensive bags?

This is an interesting thread. I'm a value person rather than strictly price person. If I feel the higher priced item actually is better quality I will get it over the cheaper lower quality item. Where to you draw the line, though? Do you ever feel taken advantage of because of the continual price increases. Why is a simple Hermes bag with little hardware priced $9000 USD? Forget about Kellys and Birkins for the price of a car. I can't see myself buying a Chanel as I can find beautiful quilted leather for a fraction of the cost. Bottom line, are we being suckered by the exclusivity over the actual quality?

This is an interesting thread. I'm a value person rather than strictly price person. If I feel the higher priced item actually is better quality I will get it over the cheaper lower quality item. Where to you draw the line, though? Do you ever feel taken advantage of because of the continual price increases. Why is a simple Hermes bag with little hardware priced $9000 USD? Forget about Kellys and Birkins for the price of a car. I can't see myself buying a Chanel as I can find beautiful quilted leather for a fraction of the cost. Bottom line, are we being suckered by the exclusivity over the actual quality?
I don't ever feel taken advantage of. No one is forcing/coercing anyone to buy handbags. My bag is the one item that gets continual daily use so I spoil myself a little and buy bags I love. Nothing else accompanies me daily... I don't drive my car to work. I don't wear the same outfit/shoes every day. My bag goes with me everywhere. I don't switch as often as others so mine get a lot of use. I look for function, quality, durability... and as an example - LV Mono may not be leather - but it certainly wears better & lasts FAR longer in my experience and never goes out of style. I can use one for 10-20 years... maybe longer! LV offers repair for a price if they can. I don't have to baby them (I can't/won't baby my bags) I can use them rain or shine. I've had mid range leather bags that were done after a season due to wear & tear and just end up looking shabby. I have leather bags too, but I don't use them as my every day bags so they last longer. It all comes down to lifestyle & choice. If you're uncomfortable spending a lot on a bag then don't do it. I know plenty of people who could financially afford to buy tons of pricy bags who don't/won't for their own reasons - mostly because they plain don't want to. Everyone is different.

I buy handbags because I fall in love with them. If they happen to be designer fine, if not, ok too. The price does not matter. Having said that, I have a collection of Chanel, LV, Prada YSL, and Celine. On the wait list for a black Birkin. BUT I also have other handbags that are under $500. I don't justify the cost.
These are never investments, as I was told by my husband who is a financial advisor, an investment is
Money that is working for you, invested, not being worn or sitting in the closet. I have sold some of my handbags before, didn't even get half what I paid, by once I fall out of love with a bag, it goes. Sold off Some Celine, Prada and Givenchy. It all comes down to what you like, it is your hard earned money and you can spend it accordingly.

Reactions: Bayou Minou
I don't have a Chanel, LV or Hermes bag.

For me, handbags, in addition to being functional can also be used as a signal, or camouflage. My mom loved purses and always told me to get leather, but she hates brands. As a kid I thought Kelly bags were amazing, and that was my dream bag.

I remember as I was entering the workplace, hearing all of those tips on how to look professional. And of course one of those was getting a nice leather bag. So since I had been coveting a Kelly bag since I was 9 or so, I thought I'd see if I could get one. That ended fast when I saw a used one cost more than a car.

I remember getting all sorts of bags in my early 20s. Leather bags of various quality - that gave me the look I wanted. I had a favorite leather tote. The strap died after a year. Then I thought I should get a nicer bag. I got a via Spiga hobo. Still have it, awesome leather, but it doesn't fit my style anymore. I keep pondering selling it.

Eventually, after a promotion, I wanted to get a nice purse. My aunt had an old Coach purse that held up well. I ended up splurging on Coach bag. And it was quite interesting how one of my senior coworkers treated me so different after she saw my bag. She became a lot nicer. And I also started noticing people would treat me differently when I was shopping and the like. And that was when I learned that your purse acts as a signal to other people and choose wisely. That was also one of the last purse I used as my primary purse - 5 days a week.

After that one died (another story), I started feeling like Coach wasn't always sending the message I wanted to send. It felt a little over exposed. Don't get me wrong, I still have plenty of Coach bags. I find them quite durable, and there are lots of great styles. But it was no longer my holy grail. I ended up getting some great Michael Kors bags, and then they felt over exposed to me as well. And I began a really epic hunt for a forever bag. Something that felt luxurious, understated and premium.

I started to realize that I used my purses to not only coordinate with my outfit, and serve the practical purpose I needed, but to also help be a symbol of my own perceived level of status. And being black in America - you definitely can use some help in certain situations. This is not the objective all the time. I also want my bag to whisper - she looks put together. But it shouldn't overshadow my outfit. For me the handbag is never the exclamation point. I tend to wear brights and patterns, so I don't want my bag to clash. And I rarely get colorful bags. The ones I have get little use. And I struggle to use a non-black bag. I always return to a classic black, bag, generally structured.

And I began a really epic hunt for a forever bag. Something that felt luxurious, understated and premium. And for me, that premium feeling means lined in leather or suede.

About 2 years ago I ended up getting a Ferragamo Sofia! Love this bag. It is under the radar and adds the appropriate amount of polish but still goes with a lot. Those in the know will recognize it as Ferragamo. Everyone else just thinks - nice bag. Now it is in a mini retirement - I switched jobs and need to bring my computer home most days. I ended up getting a backpack to save my shoulders.

Now I am on the hunt again for a new daily bag. While I have tons of candidates in my wardrobe, I realized I missed the feeling of carrying a "designer" bag daily. So none of my current bags will do. I also will swap to a Coach or Fossil or other cheaper brand bag depending on the company.

I want something that can work day to evening but not be too big to pair with a backpack. This has been hard. I still want something understated, but also "hip" and luxurious feeling. And of course the leather or suede lining. But not too dressy. Ideally something that is super under the radar so I don't feel weird carrying it with some people. I am at a weird life stage now where there are large income gaps in my circle of friends - so having something showy would feel excessive and highlight the gaps. My sister gets a little irritated when I have something "premium" that highlights the gaps between us in terms of income.

I can't afford Chanel and Hermes. Chanel is off my list now, but if I was gifted one of those reissues or classic flap bags I wouldn't turn it down. It just feels way to fancy for my life. Same with Hermes - though if a Kelly showed up in my closet. I'd sell a Birkin for a Kelly.. LV and Gucci are a bit too flashy for me. I am gradually narrowing down the brands that would send the right message and represent me. The list is short.

I have some contenders, and hopefully this pans out soon as a late birthday gift to myself.

This is where I believe there is a difference between fashion companies that offer handbags as part of their fashion vision and leather goods companies that offer a line of RTW to increase publicity.

Although I own quite a few Chanel bags I haven't bought one for literally 10 years, partly that's due to their increasing disregard of attention to the longevity of their products. Basically I make to with what I have from Chanel or occasionally buy vintage.

I can only answer (positively) as longtime happy owner/lover of Gucci, which is a leather good company.

For example, a 1980s hobo (first carried by my mother and then by me) had to be repaired for the first time last year. It had been carried so much the stitches had actually worn away on the strap (which after 30 years of Summers is pretty good going). The repair took 2 months and cost £40 (approx. $60). That's preferable to throwing away what was an excellent bag or employing someone 'unknown' repair person to 'have a go'. They have also cleaned suede and nubuck and resoled shoes, replaces straps on old belts etc.

So far I have found Gucci have stood behind their products. Under a new Creative Director and CEO I hope they will in future too as I only buy from companies with good aftercare services. If you are thinking of a Soho Disco perhaps ask questions about aftercare before buying and make it a condition of purchase :graucho:.
That's amazing service- and amazing quality to begin with. Unfortunately my favourites Balenciaga and Proenza Schouler don't seem to have the same service, from what I've read on TPF and other sites. But then as you explained, they're fashion companies.

Reactions: papertiger
People buy expensive bags for the same reason they buy other expensive things like cars or jewelry. It makes them feel good about themselves and they can afford it.

Personally, I would never spend thousands of dollars on a handbag. But I have spent thousands to fly to Europe to see a particular musical. Different things are important to different people.

Someone in this thread mentioned brass hardware. I cannot afford LV but that never stops me from browsing their site or others. In the details of most of their bags they state, "gold-tone metallic pieces". Does anyone know exactly what is used for hardware? I find myself thinking about selling many of my bags for an LV, but I would be beyond pissed if that gold tone hardware faded because it was anything other than brass.

To each their own; le BF bought a new laptop that was obscenely expensive in my mind, but then again I just spent a good amount on a preloved Mulberry bag. We all have our own preferences and priorities - my sweetheart gets to play with a superduper laptop and he drives a car, I get the nice bags and commute to work and everywhere else.
I mostly buy preloved because the prices drop after a while with the brands I prefer. Gucci, Chanel or LV aren't really my thing now and I doubt I will ever be so rich they will become my thing. Their price range is above my comfort zone. Reasons for this are mostly in my level of income, taste, and the amount of my paranoia. I don't want a bag I have to baby because it would break my heart if something happened. I also don't want to carry a loud bag that screams I'm worth robbing! I always say this; "I don't think I'll ever be rich enough to own a Chanel bag, no matter if I won the lottery or not".

A reason for my sticking to designer is simply that the product quality, functionality, craftsmanship and aftercare is better than on just about any non designer piece. I remember getting an Esprit bag, having it break within two weeks and the only thing that was done by the seller was have a cobbler do an extra layer of stitching on the handles that were coming off the bag. It looked horrible and I had no choice but to swallow my tears as I saw the result. It would be impossible to imagine such a situation with Longchamp repairs, for exemple!

Someone in this thread mentioned brass hardware. I cannot afford LV but that never stops me from browsing their site or others. In the details of most of their bags they state, "gold-tone metallic pieces". Does anyone know exactly what is used for hardware? I find myself thinking about selling many of my bags for an LV, but I would be beyond pissed if that gold tone hardware faded because it was anything other than brass.
Gold tone isn't brass, when it is brass it will specifically state brass. Over the years many of their lesser priced offering have sadly been swapped for golden metallic hardware which wears poorly over time, especially zippers which are subjected to constant friction.

You're kidding!!!! At their prices!!!
Well a lot of manufacturers that used to do this or that found ways to cut quality and keep the price tag. Chanel used to have real gold plated hardware. Now it doesn't. Gucci, Chanel and others line more and more of their bags with fabric vs. leather. YSL took the heavy leather and suede lining out of their sac de jour but didn't lower the price. I'm sure there are tons more examples of premier brands lowering quality. But then, I remember when Coach bags were much higher quality with lifetime warranties too. And I've read horror stories of lowered quality with Rebecca Minkoff, etc.

So, almost every brand cheaps out in one way or another to drive profits. They can because people will still buy them. :-s