Why do I get sick after hard work outs?

1. I've always been super fit, both in terms of aerobic fitness and strength. A few yrs ago, I decided to try a personal trainer at my gym for just weights. He pushed me really hard and after each session I was faint and nauseous to the point that I had to go home and curl up in bed for a few hours. I assumed it was too much lactic acid in my blood or something. I decided to train on my own with less strenuous workouts and it went away.

When I became pregnant last year I had to stop weight training because even a light session gave me the same feeling. Now that I'm back to working out it's happening again, even with strenuous cardio. I feel like my body can do more and I'm not sore afterwards so I'm worried why I'm getting sick. By the way, I'm 23. Does anyone know or have any advice? Thanks so much!!

2. I'm no expert (my mom was a personal trainer and I took the test, but I've never worked as one) but I'm inclined to ask if you have had migraines in the past??

I've had them all my life, and very rarely after hard workouts I get that 'halo' of a migraine feeling. Its not full fledged head pain, but I feel a little weak, nauseous, and I can't move my head. I have slight head pain but not nearly like a regular migraine. I had it today actually.

Also it could be something as simple as when you eat... long streches in between, not enough before a workout?? Sometimes blood sugar and not enough carbs doesn't translate into a hunger feeling but it could still be affecting you.

One more slight possibility... this sounds silly, but a doctor told me about this.. are you maybe drinking too much water during the workout? That can turn your stomach, water down your blood, and make you feel lightheaded because it flushes out too many things at once. Even after you've peed a few times that feeling can linger. I've had this as well.

This is all assuming that you aren't still new to your workouts but you don't sound like you are.

3. Do you get nervous or stressed out around a lot of people or in public places? Even if you don't realize that you do, it can cause that feeling- I used to almost black out from bouts of stress that would trigger around large numbers of people. I did not notice the connection until a nurse friend of mine asked if my lightheadedness only occurred in stressful public situations. What happens if you do a really strenuous ammount of excercise at home?

Being pregnant can make you lightheaded without working out.

Just thoughts, but it can't hurt to check with a doctor!

4. I'm no expert (my mom was a personal trainer and I took the test, but I've never worked as one) but I'm inclined to ask if you have had migraines in the past??

Actually- yes! I had them as a child and took medication but now I only get them very occassionaly.

Also it could be something as simple as when you eat... long streches in between, not enough before a workout?? Sometimes blood sugar and not enough carbs doesn't translate into a hunger feeling but it could still be affecting you.

Hmmm....maybe it is a blood sugar thing. I don't eat before I work out in the morning because I get gassy if I do (yuck!), but if that's what it is I could try a power bar or something.

.. are you maybe drinking too much water during the workout?

I wish :p Still working on the drinking more water thing.

This is all assuming that you aren't still new to your workouts but you don't sound like you are.

Right- I usually work out quite a bit.

5. I do get stressed around a lot of people, like big crowds, but I don't feel stressed at the gym. We built a gym at our house so I could workout w/o having to leave my daughter at the gym nursery and I still get that feeling.

I see my ob/gyn for a yearly check-up soon and will run this by her. Thanks so much for your help glamfoxx and tangerine :flowers:

6. I saw something on 'what's good for you' - tv show here in Australia about how a person feels with regards to appetite after a moderate vs a severe workout.

they looked at 3 guys and went through a 'moderate' workout - after which they were all completely hungry and famished and ate an entire roast chicken between them. then they took the same 3 guys and did a full on 'severe' workout - afterwards they were all a bit queasy...

i think the conclusion they come up with (after speaking to marathon runners and other 'experts') was that the more intense the exercise, the more lactic acid builds up in your system - which can make you feel a bit ill. keeping well hydrated (but not overhydrated!) and making sure you have an 'active' cool down - thereby keeping blood flowing from your muscles - may help. or you can just try to limit how many 'strenuous' work outs to once a week/fortnight.

7. And definitely watch your blood sugar echo_23, I have had this happen in the past and it feels almost like you might faint. Try having a banana before you exercise. It won't make you feel bloated and is full of potassium to give you an energy zap to work out on. They're great!!!

8. Thanks rey rey and bubblegirl. Tomorrow I'm going to heat a banana pre-working out and make sure I actually warm up and cool down...I always skip those steps but I bet I'll feel alot better doing that. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

9. I've noticed I am tired after a hard workout, but not nauseous.

I very rarely get migraines usually, maybe once or twice a year, but since increasing my workout, I've noticed I've been getting migraines much more often, after working out. It has me a little worried, actually.

10. If you're working out in the morning and you're not eating first that means that you've probably gone anywhere from 8-12 hours (depending how long you're sleeping at night) without eating and then you're working out.

NOT a good idea!! Come on!!! Your poor body needs fuel for that work out lady!! :nuts::sweatdrop: I'm surprised you haven't actually passed out yet from doing this!! (yikes!!)

I bet if you eat a little something before you work out you won't feel sick...your body will thank you for it :smile:

Let us know how it goes!