Why Did I Get Married Too?

Am I missing something? I love Tyler Perry. Although "faith-based message" movies would not make either my list or Mr Puff's, if we were asked to compile our respective "Top 1500 Movie Genres" for a countdown show, I've seen every single one of Tyler's adapted-from-stage formula comedies, and laughed at every one - and endured being laughed at myself, at least in some circles, when I have referred to him using all kinds of superlatives.

And you can go ahead and get tuned up to join that circle and laugh at me too, and that will not change the fact watching his Madea is one of the finest comedy experiences cranked out by Western culture in the late 20th-early 21st century, nor that his original cluster of players, with David Mann and his beloved Miss Tamela, are one of the best comedy ensembles assembled by anybody for any purpose, pretty much ever.

Sure, I am just as tempted as the next person to opine that if he would only shift just a smoosh closer to the "secular" realm, he would be virtually universally acclaimed as the genius I insist that he is anyway, but holding off on that until MY imdb listing is populated by a comparable number of feature films that actually got funding, one way or another, and made it to the screen just seems like the right thing to do.

Much in the same way, I guess, as it seems to Tyler that making those "faith-based message" formula comedies seems like the right thing to do.

I even saw, and liked, Diary of a Mad Black Woman.

So why didn't I see "Why Did I Get Married?"? Well, because it smelled like a stinker. Even the most genius auteur is going to have a stinker here or there. It didn't diminish my admiration or change my opinion of Tyler. I just preferred to wait until what I think may have been the second screen adaptation of Meet The Browns came out, and the fact that he chose Sofia Vergara - even before I saw her work in the film, gave me a whole new level of respect for her.

If Tyler picked her to be in one of his movies, I mused, there must be a whole lot more "there" there than I had given her credit for, and I was not disappointed.

But I digress. Why is there a "Why Did I Get Married II" in the first place?

Tyler could have used that time to make "Madea Gets an Internship at Teen Vogue," or "Madea Has Sextuplets," even (O be still my trembling heart at the very thought!) "Madea Goes To Bollywood."

Did it get some huge mess o' critical acclaim that I just missed?

Are all these people saying they like "Why Did I Get Married II" to blame for the unfortunate circumstance that I am not gushing and squeeing over the unforgettable expression Madea, resplendent in a glittering golden sari, brings to the lilting breeze of Ilaiyaraaja's latest masterpiece? (with Miss Lata Mangeshkar as playback singer, naturally)

Fess up. Is this your fault? Is this because everybody but me just loved "Why Did I Get Married Original Recipe?"

How is such a thing possible? I didn't think Madea was even in it.

I really enjoyed the first movie so I was looking forward to this sequel. I saw it last night with some girlfriends. Every show after 7 pm yesterday was sold out.

I enjoyed the movie but I wasn't happy with the ending. I felt like it was rushed and also I wasn't satisfied with how some of the characters' storylines were wrapped up. That's all I will say cause I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't seen it yet.

Overall I did like it. If my DF wants to see it (I think he does) I will go see it again with him. :yes:

Who else saw it and what did you think?
agreed!

I just saw the movie a few hours ago. I was mildly entertained. I thoght the
characters and storyline were not developed enough. However, out of all of
the couples jill Scott and her hubby by far were my favorites. I think if jill
keeps acting could have a bright future. However, janets acting skills lacked.
At times it was hard to watch.

One of my favorite scenes is when all of the couples had to get up and explain why they got married. Cicily Tyson and her husband by far stole that scene.Their were some other good scenes in the movie too. But I was shocked that janet's (malikyoba) was killed off. And of all of the men to play janet's new love interest why did "The Rock" get the part??

Overall, I give the movie a C+

yea some of them was painful to watch..

I saw it on Sunday. It was ok. I agree that the ending seemed rushed, like they ran out of time. I also agree that Janet was just bad. She even looked bad. Jill Scott was good and Angela was funny but all her screaming did kinda get on my nerves. The ending shocked me. I wasn't expecting that.

I saw it yesterday. Wasn't too pleased with it precisely for the reasons listed here: it felt rushed. Also, I'm starting to have an issue with Tyler Perry and his movies. Why Did I get Married, Too? pretty puts this thought forward: Black men are trying, but black women have issues. Others may not agree with that idea, but when I was re-watching the first movie a couple weeks back (since BET was playing it out), I came to that conclusion.

It's just...I dunno. Once I came to that conclusion, I started thinking about all the other Tyler Perry movies I've watched, and that seems to be a common theme.

I think I'll wait until this is on DVD. I know someone will be crazy enough to buy it and I'll borrow it like I did the 1st one. Something about Tyler's choice of actors-to-roles is...suspect, IMO. I just can't justify spending my money to see his films in theaters.

... I'm starting to have an issue with Tyler Perry...this thought...Black men are trying, but black women have issues...

I can see where you get that. To me it comes across more as "Black women have issues, and with reason, but there are Black men who are good husband material, and even more in the pipeline (the ones who are trying but haven't gotten there yet) :biggrin:

Now I don't have any way to see into his heart, and since obviously I'm an admirer of so many of the fruits of his mind, it could be that your take on it is closer to what is IN that mind, and really is a simple case of well he's a man, so chalk it up to that.

I'd like to think, of course, that with all that artistic talent, that his thoughts would go down a few more layers, that God also touched him with the finger that allows for a little more elevation, get that forest view, etc, but then there's a real long list of things I'd like to think... :P

Meh, I saw it today and was diappointed too. I respect TP and his making himself into a mogul but IMO this movie was just pretty superficial, and the character development and story lines for each of the couples just didn't make sense to me esp considering the first movie. I thought the first one was better. On the bright side, one of the previews was for the movie coming out with Common and Queen Latifah. That looks good.

DC-Cutie, I wish Spike would make a comeback as well. I went and looked at his IMDB page; his last writing credit was in 2004. He has something else coming up in 2011, but seven years is a long time.

I can see where you get that. To me it comes across more as "Black women have issues, and with reason, but there are Black men who are good husband material, and even more in the pipeline (the ones who are trying but haven't gotten there yet) :biggrin:

Now I don't have any way to see into his heart, and since obviously I'm an admirer of so many of the fruits of his mind, it could be that your take on it is closer to what is IN that mind, and really is a simple case of well he's a man, so chalk it up to that.

I'd like to think, of course, that with all that artistic talent, that his thoughts would go down a few more layers, that God also touched him with the finger that allows for a little more elevation, get that forest view, etc, but then there's a real long list of things I'd like to think... :P

And it could very well be that. It's just something I started thinking about on my third (fourth?) viewing of the first movie a few weeks back. Once I started thinking that, it got me to contemplate his other movies, and the individual roles of black men and black women, and how black men and black women are portrayed together in his movies. I do believe that there are good black men out there, and Tyler Perry certainly puts that thought out there with the black, male characters in his movies.

My concern, though, has been that black women (whether it's intentional on Tyler Perry's part) get the raw end of the deal when you think about how they're portrayed in his movies: loud; angry; cold; broken; victim. Black men (unless they're villainous like Blair Underwood in Madea's Family Reunion and Steve Harris in Diary of a Mad Black Woman) simply put up with it all, and it comes off like black women don't see the good in black men. It's like Tyler Perry's conclusion is: all these loud, angry, cold, broken black women need is good black men to rescue them, and then all will be right with the world.

With that said, and on a completely shallow note, Lamman Rucker is super fine! Those dimples! Do me in every time.