Who's Who at the Pre-Oscar Celebrations

1. [​IMG]
    Halle Berry gets into the Oscars spirit, donning an elegant Elie Saab gown the color of her own trophy (for 2001's Monster's Ball) at Ebony magazine's pre-awards celebration in Hollywood on Thursday. Berry is rooting for Best Actor nominee Forest Whitaker – and had some wise words for him if he wins: "Keep (the speech) short and sweet," she told PEOPLE. "I obviously didn't do that, so I'm not the best person to give advice. I was a wreck."
  2. [​IMG]
    It's a Jackson family affair: Janet Jackson gets a hold of her date, eldest brother Jackie, outside the Ebony pre-Oscar bash. A third Jackson – brother Jermaine – also attended the star-studded event.
  3. [​IMG]
    Ben Affleck, getting numerous kisses on the cheek from wife Jennifer Garner as he held court at the Miramax Films pre-Oscar party. At one point, nominee Peter O'Toole (up for Venus) playfully grabbed Affleck's earlobe and they shared a warm bear hug at the bash at the Sunset Tower Hotel in West Hollywood. (The two costarred in the 1998 thriller Phantoms. Affleck told us he and Garner are planning on staying in L.A. for a while. "We're definitely here, yeah," he said. And as for a possible Baby No. 2 to join 14-month-old daughter Violet? "We'll let you know!" Also hobnobbing: the queen herself, Helen Mirren, who said her awards-show ritual is to "get lots of sleep – and make sure you have your family around you," and Julian McMahon, who was in charmer mode and flirted with all the ladies around him.
  4. Kevin Connolly, leading a real-life entourage of Leonardo DiCaprio and Djimon Hounsou to the Vanity Fair Amped bash at Boulevard 3 in Hollywood. After missing Macy Gray's performance, they went straight to the bar, then to the VIP area, and finally to the upstairs smoking gallery. The posse also hit the Chateau Marmont – albeit briefly. They walked in, checked out the scene and walked right back out.

• Black Eyed Peas star Will.I.Am., saying at the Vanity Fair party that he's making "timeless" songs with Michael Jackson. A solo Bobby Brown showed up to support pal Macy Gray and told us that he and estranged wife Whitney Houston have
    remained friends. "I'm really looking forward to her doing her thing, and me doing my thing," he told us. "And that's raising a child. It's beautiful."

• Jennifer Hudson, hosting a private pre-Oscar luncheon with pals including Vogue editor Andre Leon Talley (who helped her pick out her Academy Awards dress) at the Soho House L.A.

• Kirsten Dunst, having cocktails with a friend at the Chateau Marmont – which was packed in pre-Oscar mode. Benjamin McKenzie paced the lobby of the hotel, Josh Hartnett smoked a cigarette in the outside valet area while Emmy Rossum feasted on roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and broccolini at a private dinner with Angie Harmon and Karolina Kurkova.

• Oscar winner Halle Berry, bringing her mom as her date to Ebony magazine's pre-Oscar bash at Jim Henson Studios in Hollywood. Berry is rooting for Forest Whitaker to win the Best Actor trophy – and had sage words for his acceptance speech. "Keep it short and sweet. I obviously didn't do that, so I'm not the best person to give advice. I was a wreck." Also at the bash were Janet Jackson, Mary J. Blige and Chris Tucker, who snuck in late (sans rumored girlfriend India.Arie.)
  5. [​IMG]
    Jennifer Hudson has been partying all night and every day at fêtes celebrating her Oscar nomination. The overnight sensation picked up a limited edition Barbie and grabbed a bite at a MAC luncheon in her honor.
  6. [​IMG]
    Orlando Bloom joined event co-chairs (and Oscar nominees) Penélope Cruz and Leonardo DiCaprio for the Third Annual Global Green Pre-Oscar Party at Avalon. After posing (on the green carpet, of course), the stunning threesome joined dynamic duos like Joshua Jackson and Diane Kruger and James Blunt and Petra Nemcova in heading inside the L.A. hot spot for the carbon-neutral bash, which raised money for the green rebuilding of New Orleans.
  7. [​IMG]
    Janet Jackson and Jamie Foxx made the elevator ride up to the penthouse of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, where Giant magazine hosted a pre-Oscars celebration for February cover girl Jennifer Hudson. Vivica A. Fox, Lil Jon and Serena Williams also made the scene to congratulate the Best Supporting Actress nominee.
  8. [​IMG]
    Marley Shelton and Rosario Dawson were among the guests who attended a party to celebrate Vanity Fair's annual Hollywood issue at a private party in L.A.

Party hostess Penélope Cruz personally greeted singer James Blunt and his model girlfriend, Petra Nemcova, at the Global Green celebration. VIPs sipped organic beer, wine and cocktails and browsed the display of energy-efficient eco-products for the home as they kicked back in the Green Design Lounge. Penélope's little sis Monica Cruz showed up to support her sibling's cause.
  9. [​IMG]
    Eddie Murphy let the Rev. Jesse Jackson get between himself and main squeeze Tracey Edmonds at Black Enterprise magazine's annual Top 50 Hollywood Power Brokers gala. The event was held in the grand ballroom of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, just a few floors away from the Giant magazine bash celebrating Murphy's Dreamgirls co-star and fellow nominee Jennifer Hudson.

Sheryl Crow and Kyle MacLachlan helped up the famous factor at the Vanity Fair party. Other boldface names included Michelle Trachtenberg, Kevin Costner, Anjelica Huston, Rose McGowan, Dylan McDermott and Shiva Rose McDermott
  10. [​IMG]
    Joshua Jackson and Diane Kruger got a sneak peek at some eco-friendly rides as they made their way into the Global Green party. The event was also the official kickoff for Global Green’s Red Carpet/Green Cars Oscar campaign, which provides fuel-efficient vehicles for celebrities attending the Oscars as an alternative to gas-guzzling limousines. The organization has lined up 30 cars to shuttle the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio and George Clooney to Sunday's ceremony.

Jennifer Hudson showed her delight at the sight of her Giant cover photo at the party the magazine threw in her honor. Jennifer recently made history as the first black female singer to be featured on the cover of Vogue.
  11. [​IMG]
    Frontman Adam Levine rocked the crowd with band Maroon 5 at the Global Green party. The Grammy-winning group gave a live sneak preview of songs from their upcoming album.

Halle Berry was anything but naughty when she showed up to celebrate the opening night of Wicked at the Pantages Theater in Los Angeles. Angela Bassett, Tony Shalhoub and Jennifer Garner also showed up to claim their seats for the West coast premiere of the Broadway musical.

Katie Holmes and Rosario Dawson became ladies who lunch for a good cause when they attended an L.A. event hosted by playwright Eve Ensler and Glamour magazine. Survivors like Margaret Jayah and female refugees from Afghanistan, Haiti and Sierra Leone told their tales before an audience that included Jane Fonda, Sally Field and Salma Hayek.
  12. [​IMG]
    Selma Blair got cheeky with Angie Harmon at a photo exhibit sponsored by the Herb Ritts Foundation and GUESS at L.A. nightspot Area. Camilla Belle, Gretchen Mol, Marisa Tomei and Naomi Campbell also browsed the gallery of memorable Oscars photos.

Shiva Rose McDermott, Marley Shelton and Mandy Moore gathered around the table at L.A.'s Campanile to honor women working for peace at the V-Day luncheon. Playwright Eve Ensler founded the organization to help women who are victims of violence.
  13. [​IMG]
    Dustin Hoffman's notable nose proved irresistible to his granddaughter at an event celebrating the launch of Lisa Hoffman's Night & Day 24 Hour skin-care line in Hollywood. The products, created by Hoffman's wife, come packaged in airline-friendly daily doses that can be stashed in a carry-on and used in flight. Jeremy Piven, Andy Garcia, Mark Ruffalo and Sunrise Coigney were among the famous faces who got a look at the anti-aging line.

With the Oscars red carpet just days away, Hollywood's most stylish celebrities have fashion on the brain. So what better time for VIPs to strut their stuff then at the Sixth Annual GM Ten fashion show? The affair paired hot cars with sexy clothes, all against the backdrop of a movie soundstage at Paramount Studios in L.A. Jennifer Hudson, Emmy Rossum, Mario Lopez, Hayden Panettiere, Milo Ventimiglia and Katherine Heigl used their best modeling skills to show off for a front row that included Demi Moore, Penélope Cruz, Ashton Kutcher and Bruce Willis. A late night after-party at Teddy’s also drew the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio, Michelle Trachtenberg and Kristen Dunst, rounding out the star-filled night in style.
  14. [​IMG]
    Blond bombshell Katherine Heigl wowed the crowd in a cream-colored gown by Dolce & Gabbana. Though the Grey's Anatomy actress normally puts together her stunning ensembles without the help of a stylist (mom Nancy helps out), Heigl and the rest of the evening's lineup were outfitted by celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe, who counts Mischa Barton and Jennifer Garner among her regular clients.

Oscar nominee Jennifer Hudson played it coy as she sashayed down the catwalk in a gorgeous black gown by Roberto Cavalli to the beat of Mary J. Blige's "Family Affair." Though she looked fabulous, Hudson confided that she was feeling under the weather and wouldn't be making an appearance at the show's after-party. “But I’m here now!” she proclaimed as she got primped backstage before the show. Though it has been a year of firsts for the Dreamgirl, the evening did not mark her first trip down the runway. Hudson also walked in the GM Ten show in Detroit last month.

Proud papa Bruce Willis hurried over from the premiere of The Astronaut Farmer at the Cinema Dome to make it to the show in time to see daughter Rumer make her GM Ten debut. Rumer's mom, Demi, snapped photos of her doppelganger daughter as stepdad Ashton looked on.

There were Heroes among the celebrity crowd that hit the runway. "I watched Project Runway to get some tips," said Masi Oka of his pre-show training regimen. Still Hayden Panettiere wasn't quite as confident that co-stars Oka, Milo Ventimiglia and Jack Coleman were runway-ready. "They’re going to step on my dress, they always do," worried Hayden, who wore a flirty Louis Becaria frock. "They did it at the Golden Globes, I was so mad at them!"
  15. [​IMG]
    Oscar nominee Jackie Earle Haley took a break from his catwalking to snap a picture of front row stunners Penélope Cruz and Demi Moore. Fellow nominee Adrianna Barraza also enjoyed a moment in the spolight, showing off a Michael Kors gown. Demi and Ashton later got snap happy as well, taking self portraits with a digital camera.

Going from gold to silver, recent Grammy winner Mary J. Blige was bestowed with the double honor of kicking off the show—to the beat of "Roxanne" by The Police—and leading her fellow celebrity models down the runway for their final walk. Mary J. dazzled in a strapless gown by Collette Dinnigan while Denise Richards followed close behind in Dolce & Gabbana.

After spending some father-daughter time with Rumer, Bruce Willis caught up with Scrubs star Zach Braff backstage. Braff's co-star Donald Faison worked the runway with his signature flair, shaking his Dolce & Gabbana-clad booty for the crowd. Willis had a front row seat for Faison's antics, sharing a laugh with director Brett Ratner. Chris Kattan also got in on the melodrama, striking a few poses before splaying himself out on the car that accompanied him down the catwalk.

"I’m excited for Beck’s performance and the after-party," said Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz, who had a little trouble keeping his mind on the fashion at hand. Were there any other distractions for the band's frontman? "I saw some really, really pretty people here, so I’m excited to bump into them and say, ‘Oh my god, I ran into you, that’s weird.’" As Wentz and the other celebrities strutted, DJ Caroline D’amore spun a mix of old and new hits from The Police, Beyoncé and John Mayer. Post-show, a cowboy hat-wearing Beck played a few hits for an adoring and energetic crowd that included new dad Jason Bateman.