Who's had their tonsils removed?

1. I had mine out when I was 24 and I had prepared myself for the worst pain possible from the horror stories I had heard. I have to say though that it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. The first day wasn't bad at all, but day 2 and 3 were rough. I just slept a lot and ate lots of ice. By day 5 I was at the mall shopping with my mom. It was sore to eat, but I'm an eater and couldn't not eat! Lo mein and other pastas were easier for me to eat.
  2. I had my tonsils removed when I was 4 years old. Don't remember much about it, other than I remember eating lots of Jello, Cool Whip and ice cream :nuts: And my parents bought me a She-Ra castle for being a trooper :p
  3. I had mine taken out when I was 21. It wasn't the harderst thing I've been through, but there were times when it wasn't fun.

But I would have to say it was the best thing I've ever done!!!
  4. When I was entering grade school, it was so common to have this surgery. I was in 1st grade when mine were taken out, and the best part was eating all the ice cream I wanted. Now I don't think they are so quick to remove them. Both my sons still have their tonsils.
  5. Had mine done 5 years ago!
    Lost like 10 lbs due to liquid diet and surviving on soups.
    I tend to get real bad strep and had a bad-strain that kept coming back, so the doctor recommended that.
  6. I also had mine out at a early age, I was 4 or 5. I was deathly ill for a long time until my drs finally decided to take them out and after they were gone, I remember being able to eat lots of JELLO! And I never had any more problems related to my throat again so that was great because I was really sick for a period of time.
  7. i had mine taken out at 25. at it was indeed the worst pain ever. i also lost about ten pounds then.
    from my understanding...it is more painful when you get them removed as an adult.
  8. I also had my tonsils out at the age of 20 - every month l would get tonsillitis and couldnt eat only sip through a straw. I agree it was the best thing that l have ever had done , l didn't get a headcold until l was 27 and still don't get them very often.
  9. My cousin kept getting severe colds like every month. They removed her tonsils last summer and she has not had them since.

She said she felt sore for about a week but overall was fine.
  10. My brother had his out at 30 and did great.

I WISH I had had mine out as a child. I got tonsilitis at the drop of a hat so many times, but this was the era when docs weren't taking out tonsils because they supposedly helped fight off infections, so the theory went. I kept trying to say (as much as I could as a child) that all mine do is GET infected so take 'em out already! Thankfully I outgrew all those tonsil problems.
  11. I"m 18 and had mine out this summer. I didn't think it was as bad as I had read and the doctor's said. I was (carefully) eatting and drinking whatever I wanted within a few days. downside, I really didn't loose a lot of weight! haaahha, but I had mono last summer and strep throat throughout the last year. Since I was a child I've had problems with my throat, so it was a good decision to get it done.
  12. omg I had mine out when I was 15 and it was the worst thing in the world.....

i usto get strep like 2 times a month and they finally decided to remove my tonsils....i couldnt go to my first apt to get them removed because i ended up getting strep so I had to wait another month....so when my next apt came around I had the starting signs of strep again but they went ahead and removed my tonsils...while they were doing it they realized the area around my throat was so pocketed from getting strep so much they actually skin graffed areas in my throat to smooth it out.

it was the worst experience ever. i couldnt eat (sold food) for almost 3 weeks...i couldnt talk for about 2 of those 3 weeks and i lost 12 pounds...after my surgery i weighted about 89 pounds it was horrible...

but on the up side i never get strep or even sore throats ever!!!
  13. I had mine out when I was 6 I think. I do remember an awful gas mask on my face & a feeling of falling. I jumped up & kicked the doctor LOL
    After that all I remember is having a great time in hospital & making a friend from far away who came to stay later LOL
  14. I had mine removed when I was 16 or 17..one of the worst things I've ever done.
    I couldn't eat for a week, therefore I threw up, and I started to bleed because of all the threwing up..
    I lost 14 pounds..and the pain was..insane.
    They also removed stuff in my nose at the same time and when I had something do drink it came out of my nostrils. Yummy.
    And my nose is still f-ed up today..
  15. me me! i had my adnoids taken out too!

my doctor said that my tonsils were HUGE.....and i also kept gettting strep throat toooo many times a year

my throat hurt alot after the surgery, but week by week, it got better