Who knows about deep tissue therapeutic massage?

1. After a few months of lower back trouble and a month+ of sciatica, my chiropractor referred me to a massage therapist who does an extremely strong/deep tissue pressure massage. Massage doesn't even seem like the right word to use. I had 2 sessions with her (2 hrs each time) and the 2nd was so bad, I've told her I probably won't return.

She said I would feel "tender" for a day afterwards. The 2nd session was so painful (I told her during the session that it really hurt and to remember my age) that tears came. I hurt for 4 days and had black and blue marks where she pressed so hard. She called me today to tell me basically I'm avoiding my "issues" (she likes to talk during, ex: tell me about when your mother died") and my pain tolerance is low (ummm, I had 2 full-term babies w/o anesthetic). In other words, it's my fault I was in pain, and I need to go back for more.

Is there a massage therapy that actually is supposed to hurt that much and hurt for several days afterwards? I have gotten regular massage for years and I feel better afterwards, not worse. Am I being close-minded about this technique?

2. Boxermom, I have felt your pain, literally. I had a deep tissue massage once....and NEVER again. The therapist that gave me the deep tissue also talked the entire time, and I think they do that because they need to distract you from feeling the pain. It was awful. I didn't find it to be helpful at all. I ached for several days afterwards. It's not for me, I now only go with medium pressure massages.

3. Boxermom I think from my experience with counselling courses that your therapist is very good. There is a theory that all physical pain is grounded in psychological issues so she is trying to free your mind as well as your body.
    Search on internet for Brandon Bays - "The Journey" you will read that she had a huge tumour & while undergoing massage in deep relaxation she unearthed a memory, when this was dealt with the tumour disappeared. I have done her training course it is excellent. I would stick with that lady & sure would love to visit her if I lived close!

4. ^^^thank you for the insight. I'll look that up and read about it. Honestly I don't know if I'll go back--it hurt that much.

5. Wow! Interesting to read this. I sent my mother to the spa last year for Mother's Day and she had the works. Including an hour long massage. I selected the deep tissue massage for her in her package (I did everything by phone as a surprise because we live in different states). I asked the spa about the different massages and told her it was for my mother and she assured me that the deep tissue massage would be fine for her (mind you--my mother is 74).
    I'd had massages but not a deep tissue one myself so I didn't know. I just wanted her to have a very good massage..lol.
    Anyway, my poor mother went and although she LOVED the surprise (she had the works..hair, nails, feet, facial, massage, waxing (eyebrows, lip, chin) and lunch), she said she had to tell the person massaging her to stop. It was much too painful for her. The spa owner was very nice and wanted to make my mother happy so they sent in another person to do her massage but they did it with lighter strokes and she said it was the best massage ever.

6. Yes, I've had this and it hurt. I was told that it shouldn't hurt as much as it did and that I probably had bruised ribs. :shrugs:

7. Yes probably should not hurt that much call her ask can she go a little easier next time :smile:

8. I get a deep tissue, theraputic massage every other week from my the massage therapist at my chiropractor's office.

It's unfortunate that your experiences haven't been pleasant, as I have found this treatment to very helpful to my shoulder and neck pain, as well as my general all-over well-being.

Your massage therapy sessions and mine are extremely different, though. For starters, my appt. lasts for only one hour. She also gauges how much pressure to use after asking me specific questions. If its too much or too little she will adjust. I have never left with any bruising at all, although I will say that sometimes the pain during treatment is intense.

She also doesn't chat. We exchange pleasantries in the beginning and then that's it. She has a quiet CD playing in the background, but other than that she just works on my body.

Personally, I have been through years and years of psychotherapy and way too much emotional trauma for anyone other than a specifically trained psychology professional to try and address my issues. I also don't like to talk about my family, period.

Perhaps if you could find someone who has a more compatible massage therapy "personality" to yours you might enjoy the benefits it can provide.

Good luck to you!

9. Boxermom, I think that all sounds too drastic and though I know what BagAngel's saying, I'm not so sure you can unearth psychological issues while in so much physical pain..and while countless problems may be caused by issues we have been unable to deal with, a lot of back pain is caused by our lifestyle... physical pain is bad enough, you don't want to have to talk about upsetting stuff while somebody is hurting you! I think you have to separate counselling and physical treatment in different sessions and as for telling somebody who is in agony, they have a low pain threshold...Boxermom, I would find an alternative!

10. You have all given me much to consider--thanks for taking the time to respond with your own experiences and viewpoints. Part of me resents being told that I'm the reason it hurt. I asked about her "letting up" on the pressure and she said her method is correct and it has to be that hard. I'm having trouble with that--I'm not a 30 yr old athlete, I'm a middle-aged woman whose exercise consists of housework and walking and biking.

I guess if I have lost confidence in her, my answer is to find another therapist.

11. i understand what bagangel is saying and that was sort of what i was thinking originally...but, at the same time, why would you pay someone to hurt you, you know?

i think there needs to be a balance. a little chatting is fine, but not talking about major issues. and a little pressure can feel good, but not to the point where it hurts days after, you know?

but, then again, i've never had a massage. i just don't let people touch me!

12. Try accupuncture!!! I use to have chronic back pains until I had accupunture. He attached electric nodes(?) to the pins which caused pulsations. Its like a deep tissue massage. It is the best. I fall asleep within 5 minutes everytime I get it done. When its over, I feel great! I haven't gone for about 1 year now and I'm starting to get back pains again. I need to make an appt....

13. boxermom,

urm okay i don't think any massage should leave you blue and black and in pain so much such that tears swell up or you have bruising after. as per her defense, it might be hte CORRECT way to do a deep tissue massage but it's not for me!!

i think you need someone willing to work with you on the level of pain and intensity.... and maybe as you go along they can use more pressure as per the CORRECT way by said woman.

and she may be trying to district you but talk to me about something other than personal information!! IMO, i'll talk abt personal stuff to a friend or psych not someone massaging me. i'm more than happy to talk about bags, shoes, clothes, the benefits of massage, britney spears, dogs, cats etc etc etc. Just not my personal life....

i don't think it's very professional or a good attitude to blame your client for not being to withstand your CORRECT massage technique and ignore your clients feedback. it's your body, not hers!!

hope you feel better soon! :heart:

14. Okay, I had deep tissue massage for my shoulder tendinitis, and it is definitely NOT A RELAXING MASSAGE! It hurts like help because the therapist is supposed to "break" the nodules that already hardened. I was in tears at times, but it did help.

15. I had a regular (Swedish) massage from my regular woman today and she said it's against their ethics to refuse to listen to the client when they say the pressure is too deep. I should add that I understand that sometimes to work thru a "knot" they have to hurt some, but this was completely different than anything I have ever experienced.

I've tried to investigate accupuncture in this area and there is hardly anything available. The one individual who does it isn't recommended. I've been meaning to see if I can find someone in Wilmington.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and good wishes.