White bags and how to take care of them?

I talked to an SA at the Neimans in Beverly Hills today and he said that I should not be afraid of the white Muse because if it does get dirty it can be taken in for cleaning, or repainted white for say $100. He seemed surprized when I did not know that shoe repairmen or leather experts preform this service. Do you take your bag to be cleaned? If so, where? How do you take care of a white bag? Thanks!

Chanel, Tod's, Nordstrom, and many boutiques recommend Factotum Expert Leather Repair.

Factotum, a Laguna Beach-based company, specializes in the repair and servicing of fine leather goods. Factotum Expert Leather Repair services shoes, purses, garments, and luggage and uses only the finest materials and finishes. Margaret's is proud to be the exclusive dry cleaning representative for Factotum in San Diego County.

FactotumShoes-purse-web.jpg
Who Uses Factotum?
Salvatorre Ferragamo, Chanel, Mephisto, Gucci and many other fine leather goods, retail boutiques send their wares to Factotum's talented craftsmen.

http://margaretscleaners.com/index.htm

TheArtofAcquisition said:
Thank you so much Bag Lover! I suppose that resource keeps you at ease with buying white bags.

You are welcome. That cleaner is highly recommended by many store managers who send their clients there for minor to major works (touch-up, cleaning, repair, etc)

As for buying white bags, I don't hestitate as much as before. =) Was told by Chanel SAs that white bags should/could be re-dyed when needed (according to them, the time frame is every 10 years).

bag.lover said:
You are welcome. That cleaner is highly recommended by many store managers who send their clients there for minor to major works (touch-up, cleaning, repair, etc)

As for buying white bags, I don't hestitate as much as before. =) Was told by Chanel SAs that white bags should/could be re-dyed when needed (according to them, the time frame is every 10 years).

I am guessing that the service you mentioned can also re-dye white bags. I recently had a nightmare experience where I had a medium YSL Muse in white that was already dirtied when I got it, and then I called Saks and they told me to try Coach cleaner. I tried cleaning it, and the white came right off the bag. I was so shocked and surprized. I called Saks, and they agreed to return the bag. I had no idea it was so delicate. I have had less pricy white bags before that after a few months got marked and dirty, and seemed to declare themselves "ruined". I am debating whether to get another YSL in white, or learn from my mistake and get another color, even though I think it looks best in white. If I know there is a "fall-back" plan if something happens I would be more likely to get the white, and other white bags to come, with less of a feeling of "throwing away" $1,000-$2,000 on something that may be toast in a matter of months.

Thanks so much for your feedback on this.

Hello all,

I have a beautiful white bag (Donna Karan), which I have adored and cared for as best as I could. Unfortunately, when I took it out of its dust bag the other day (after a year in storage), it came out looking TAN! :wtf:

What is a girl to do? How to I restore the beautiful white to my bag? How do I care for future white bags I may get (although this experience has traumatized me!).

Help! :sos:

Reactions: pianolize