Which cardio machine burns the most calories?

1. Anyone know?

Is it the treadmill, elliptical, stairstepper, stationary bike?

And do you trust the burned calories counting on these machines?

I have a cardio machine at my gym that I regularly use. I don't know the name of it. I will try and take a pic tomorrow when I'm at the gym. Perhaps you guys can help identifying the machine.

2. I'm curious about this too. I do both treadmill and elliptical but I just don't feel I've worked hard enough when I do the elliptical.

Calories burned? Maybe they just do a rough calculation based on the weight you entered when setting up your workout, plus how fast and how long you worked out?

3. The calories burned on those machines are inaccurate but I don't know how far off they are. I love the stair stepper and the treadmill the most. The treadmill allows me to run and walk on the same machine. I like the stair stepper because it works the legs and when you're working muscles like your legs it really gets your heart rate up. I think every machine has its advantages and disadvantages.

4. When I was researching Elliptical machines a few wks. ago I came across this interesting article comparing them with Treadmills. (Our treadmill is on it's last leg...so we decided to go with an Elliptical).

Here's the link:
    http://www.ellipticaltrainers.com/articles/elliptical_treadmill.htm

-------------
    Here's a lil info from the article re: ellipticals burning more calories in less time:

"Because elliptical trainers DO work the upper and lower body simultaneously, the heart rate climbs more quickly. Thus, less time is required to achieve more results. The amount of energy expended is optimized. As the legs are being worked, the back, shoulders, chest, biceps, and triceps are also working ...making it possible to burn more calories in less time. (An optimal workout need only be about 20-30 minutes long.)"

-------------

Who knows which machine is best?? This is just something I came across surfing the subj. and thought was interesting....and sounded pretty good! heehee!:tup:

5. From my reading on the subject, I've heard most frequently that the gym machines overestimate your calorie burn by 25-30%. So, if it says you burned 600 calories in 45 minutes, you know that's nowhere near correct, it will be more like 300-400 depending on your heart rate.
    I use a Polar and it's not the most reliable when doing weights but for cardio it's pretty accurate.
    Running burns the most calories overall since you're working with your own body weight but the elliptical works more muscle groups for a better overall workout. Calories are comparable, maybe a bit higher for running.
    Hope this helps!

6. ^^ I use a polar HR monitor as well! LOVES IT!

The truth is the machine won't burn more or less calories it's your heartrate that will decide that. The treadmills and elliptical machines both have resistance so they can get your heartrate up to the proper levels. To determine your target HR you really need to have a MAP test. Anyway, the elliptical is much easier on the knees so that's why I prefer it to the treadmill and my trainer SWEARS by the elliptical!

7. best thing to do is get a Polar brand watch and use the strap to accurately read your heartrate. It 'talks' to the watch and the watch will tell you YOUR exact heartrate and calories burned.
    As far as which machine is better? It depends on what your output is.
    If you want to burn a lot of calories, keep your heartrate up high, between 140-160 depending on your age.

8. I love the stair climber (thats the machine with the revolving staircase). I don't pay attention to the calories, but that machine kicks my butt more than the elliptical especially when you're on it for 30 - 45 mins.

9. IMO the treadmill wil burn more if you're are running with a slight incline, at (least 1) so that you are proelling yourself forward.

If you really want kick ass fat loss, or to improve stamina do High Intense Interval TRaining (HIIT)

Basically, you sprint for 30 seconds and speedwalk/jog for 60 seconds. rinse and repeat for 20 minutes and that is the end of your workout. if you can even think of doing another minute, you need to go faster next time ;)

HIIT kicks, I do it once a week (in addition to other things) and on HIIT days I'm in and out of the gym in 35 minutes :wlae:

10. TOTALLY agree!!! This is my all time FAV machine. NOTHING kicks my ass like this machine.

11. Exactly!
    For some, the elliptical will get your HR up faster and keep it in the target zone. For others, the treadmill will. Honestly, I don't think any one machine is better than the other. I've never noticed any tangible difference with either. I'd stick with the one that makes you want to stay on it longer.

12. LOL! Just noticed Syntagma and I were writing at the same time.
    I could have just said:

^ITA:yes:

GMTA ;)
    :lol:

13. Thanks for all the input. I'm in my 3rd month of joining a gym and is really curious about the optimal workout. I am not trying to lose weight, I am 5"2, 99 lbs. I just want to maintain my weight and toned/build a lil bit of muscle.

LVCRAZED thanks for the article!

I tried just about every machine, from treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical, stair stepper.. and I have to say that I like the elliptical the most. Btw, I attach the elliptical machine that I was talking about that is avail at my gym. The machine has fixed handles and is my fav (as well as the normal elliptical with moving handles). It is THE machine that I can stay the longest at. Has anyone try this machine?
    I don't really like treadmill, since I'm not good with running (smoker here :upsidedown:!!), and I found the calories are burned more quickly in the elliptical (at least according to the machine). Actually, the elliptical can burn the calories quite fast, about 10 roughly per minute, but then prolly the real count is less 25% (like stylefly suggested).

And also, thanks for suggestion of Polar watch, I might check this one out, coz I really want to know the exact counting.

elip.jpg
  14. hmmm i think it depends on your resistance levels and how fast you run, etc.

For me I personally think i burn the most on the elliptical and in spinning class. I never run on the treadmill I just power walk but i notice that the calories burned go higher when i set the incline really high. so it all depends on what levels and resistance you put your machines.

15. YW!:welcome: