Where do you stand on violent video games?

1. I was watching SVU tonight and it was the one where someone imitated a violent video game. It got me thinking:

Where do you stand on violent video games?

To me, it's only a problem if the violence is realistic and imitatable. So, I would have a problem with Grand Theft Auto. But not so much with Mortal Kombat.

Also, it's a problem if the violence is done in the 'first person' sense, or if there seems to be no purpose to the violence. There's a difference between Grand Theft Auto where the main character doesn't have a name and the Scarface game or Tomb Raider. (In the Scarface game, you're playing as Tony Montana and in the Tomb Raider games, you're playing as Lara Croft.)

As with any game, movie or tv show, I think parents need to talk with their children and tell them that video games aren't real and that it's not okay to imitate them.

2. Heh. This can be a hot issue...

I actually posted in the other "shocked to find out about you" thread that I love Grand Theft Auto. I enjoy it because it's good stress relief. It doesn't make me a more violent person.

I think video games in general should not be played by children. I do not see the difference between fantasy violence or more realistic violence. As realistic as GTA is, it's also incredibly fake in so many aspects. Nothing is real about holding a keypad and tapping "X" (which is also why I don't get sports games).

What I think is REALLY ridiculous, though, is how there were so many people upset at the hidden so-called sex in the most recent GTA. Unless you apply certain patches to the PC version, or heavily modify the PS2 version, it's not possible to see this "sex" at all. Besides, with a game that is already so violent, why would anyone get more upset at the hidden sex?

PS - The Grand Theft Auto character does have a name. In San Andreas, his name is Carl Johnson. In Vice City, it is Tommy Vercetti. I haven't played any of the games before Vice City, so I can't speak for them.

3. I didn't mean to pick on Grand Theft Auto. (And, honestly, I posted that before I read what you wrote.)

I also think it depends on the individual. If the game doesn't show any adverse effect on the child playing it, I think it's fine. If the child is aggressive and violent, it wouldn't be a good idea to give them violent video games for Christmas / Hanukkah.

I don't play video games (other than Mah Jong Solitaire and Magic Inlay on my computer) so I probably should've done more research before picking on one game more than the other.

I guess what I'm saying is I have a problem with games where the object is to shoot things for what it seems like no purpose, other than to earn points. At least the Scarface game has a plot. At least the Tomb Raider games have plots.

4. I guess I am a sicko, because I love playing games like Grand Theft Auto. I laugh like a nut while I chop up hookers with a chainsaw. To me, it's no worse than watching an R-rated horror movie. I don't think you should let young kids play it though just like you shouldn't let young kids into R-rated movies. It's up to the parents to learn about the games and the rating system. Honestly, I think there is something seriously wrong with someone who would commit an act of violence, because of something they saw on TV or a game.
    The character in Grand Theft Auto 3 didn't have a name, but you find out when you play San Andreas that his name is Claude. In Liberty City Stories for the PSP, you play as Tony Cipriani (who was also in GTA 3), and in Vice City Stories, you play as Lance Vance's brother (whose name I don't recall).
    The GTA games do have a storyline that you follow. In San Andreas, Carl Johnson returns home to find that his mom was murdered by gang members. It has a very Boyz in the Hood type of story of the escalating violence between street gangs.

5. Hahahaha. Love it!

But more seriously, caitlin1214, I can totally see where you are coming from, and completely understand your concerns. I don't think children should be exposed to the level of violence in Grand Theft Auto or in any other games, and the "Mature" rating supports this. But parents purchase these games for their children, which can often lead to unforeseen trouble. This is not to say that video games cause violence or anything, but honestly, that sort of thing cannot be good for a child's mind.

As an adult, however, I do appreciate the wide variety of entertainment available, and as such, I do not support the actions of those like Hilary Clinton, who sought stricter measures after the whole GTA sex thing because those would affect everyone -- including responsible adults like myself who would never, in reality, hurt anything. (I *still* trap spiders in cups and let them outside.)

6. Here in Germany, there were recently a couple of school shootings and the shooters were all avid players of Counterstrike.

The first thing that some German politicians said was "BAN ALL VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES, VIDEOS, ETC!!!!!!!!@111!!!!11112@##$!!!" ...Things calmed down, and then after a while they realised that their idea was absolutely ridiculous and would never work. If you ban something like that, there will still be a way to get it. Downloading games from the internet is nothing new, and having friends ship them to you from other countries is old news. There is no real way to ever ban anything. There will always be a way to get it.

I don't hate violent video games, but they aren't for me. I enjoy playing the Sims (which can also be semi-violent with crude humor - I like to set mine on fire or drown them in the pool if they're ugly, lololol!!) and other types of Stragegy/RPG games. My exboyfriend tried to get me interested in FFXI once, but I only enjoyed running around and exploring the "scenery".

I think most mentally healthy adults have the capacity to play violent video games like Counterstrike, Doom, GTA, etc without getting to caught up in it. I think once the boundary between video games and reality drop it's time to get some help or to stop playing.

I don't agree with children playing these games. I believe that a majority of these games have a 17+ rating, meaning that no children under 17 can buy and shouldn't be playing these games. Sales associates at video game stores don't really pay attention to the labeling and don't ask for proper ID when buying these games. PARENTS also aren't taking the responsibility for their children when they buy them these games.

"Mommy & Daddy don't have any time right now - here's a video game!!!"

Sorry if I'm very scatterbrained. Had a very long day and I'm exhausted!!!

7. I was on the phone with my dad talking about this very topic.

Well, I started the topic, then he called, and I wanted to know his opinion and how he and my mom handled my brother playing games like that. I mostly remember my brother playing Mortal Kombat and he was about 10 at the time.

My dad let my brother play those games because his friends were playing them. If he were to ban my brother from playing them, he felt that would be a blow to his social life.

Later on he mentioned that he took into consideration what kind of person my brother was and that if that game affected him negatively at all, he would've said something.

It also depends on the degree of violence and the age of the child. I keep using Mortal Kombat as an example. Mortal Kombat is a fight game. There's an option in the game where, if you know specific codes, you can finish off your opponents in violent ways, known as Fatalities (ripping out someone's spinal cord is an option).

My brother played Mortal Kombat when he was about 10, and he even knew the Fatality codes. He turned out all right. (To be fair, the graphics weren't as good as they are now. So the Fatality was extremely violent, but it wasn't that graphic, if that makes sense.)

I think my parents would've had a problem if he wanted to play Resident Evil at that age, though.

8. Depends on the child and what kind of upbringing/society it is raised in. If someone is violent I think they will act out on that without the games. IMHO blaming violent video games is just an excuse without looking into real issues - domestic violence, bad parenting, lack of education/guidence etc etc.

9. I'm very old school on this, I'm violently against them, but I realize they are here to stay. I do hold the line with my friends kids for whom I get Xmas gifts, I don't care if thats all they want, they won't get it from me-someone else's $ will have to fund that desire, and deal with the consequences.

10. While I don't personally play (or would buy for someone else) violent video games, it is part of society, wether people want it to be or not. I do believe that parents NEED to take responsibility for what their children watch, play, etc. Too often in our society, children are left unattended after school for too many hours. Parents are busy w/ work, long commute times, and don't take inventory of what their children might be doing during those hours. Just my opinion, luckily my little girl is only 7, so for now, I only have a ban on Bratz dolls.:yucky: I agree, parents should pay attention and follow the ratings for the games, E for Everyone, M for Mature and so on.