Where do affluent Latin Americans go for family vacations?

1. What is the Nantucket of Latin America? Or Hilton Head? Or Vail?

My husband and I have been kicking around the idea of getting a second home in a Spanish speaking country in this hemisphere.

We are hoping to find someplace that's family-oriented and attracts people from all over Central and South America, but which doesn't have too many Europeans or Americans. Ideally, we'd like to go to a place where families return year after year so kids grow up together and form strong friendships. Does such a place exist?

Our prime motivation is to help our four-year-old become fluent in Spanish and another culture. We'd probably tend away from places like Cabo San Lucas which has so many Americans, or a lot of spots in the Dominican Republic which seem to attract Europeans.

I would also love to know about any high-end Spanish language lifestyle magazines like Town & Country or W, or perhaps higher-end regional magazines like New York or Texas Monthly that might give me more of an insight into that region. I'll track them down, even if they're not readily available in the US. Of course, websites would be great too.

I appreciate your suggestions.

2. Roatan, Honduras is one place. It's an island in the Caribbean and simply stunning. It's an hour ferry ride to the mainland and when we were there this summer it was full of folks on vacation from all over Central America. It's a short plane ride! And you can fly direct to the island now on Saturdays from the States, too! It's got a big diver's following and half of Italy was on vacation there this summer. They have direct flights from Milan (or was it Rome??)

Property is FOR SALE!! The whole island is for sale at whatever price can pay....

Have you looking into newletters like Your Travel Insider? They do subscriptions for e-Newsletters. Also International Living, too.

Lots of spots in Brazil as well, but we are partial to Roatan and would like to live there soon.

3. Coconut, look at San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. All About San Miguel de Allende, Mexico!
    It started as an artist colony, and has amazing architecture. There's a large Spanish speaking population (duh), but there are a lot of Americans living there without being annoyingly over-Americanized. I'm trying to convince my mom to retire there. She's an amazing artist, so it would be a very cool place for her.

4. Coco-nut, I have no idea, but I think that's a great plan! Imagine how awesome it would be for you guys to have an exotic vacation home when everyone else is doing the same old towns in the U.S.! I'm everlastingly grateful for international experiences when I was a kid, as I'm sure your son will be. What fun!

5. Antigua Guatemala near Guatemala city, a colonial city wit a very good spanish schools, the architecture is beautiful, and doesn't have too many americans living there but turists all year round.

6. Thanks for all of your suggestions...I'll be looking all of these places up, and tracking down those magazines. Jilly, thanks especially for mentioning San Miguel de Allende, that's one place that had caught my attention a few years ago but we just never got around to travelling there because of post-9/11 jitters followed by toddlerhood. Maybe we can check it out this winter.

If anyone else has ideas about where to go in the Spanish speaking Americas, please speak up!

7. Where do affluent Latin Americans go on vacation?
    Punte del Este, Uruguay
    Buzios, Brazil
    anywhere along the coast of Brazil

Personally, I would buy property along the northeastern coast of Brazil. American dollars go further in Brazil then they would in places like Mexico (where the pesos is pegged to the US dollar). It's hot 90% of the time and doesn't have a hurricane season. When it's winter in the US...it's summer in Brazil. Brazilians are lovely people....very welcoming, have great shopping, great food, and great culture. ;)

8. Chile is really nice.