When so much is wrong with the world, do you ever wish you could do something good?

1. I know it's cliche, but I always feel like I 'don't have time' to do something good for the world. I travel for work, so I can't be here all the time to volunteer on a regular basis. I'm not really good enough at running to take part in a marathon. I don't really know what I can do to help out. In fact, I don't know the first thing about volunteering.

It just seems like the world around me is so depressing. There's a war and a depressed economy and so many other bad things. What can I do to help?

Does anyone here know what I'm talking about? Wanting to help but not really knowing where to even start.
  2. Being in the world, you make people happy everyday. Tiny things like smiling at people makes someones day. You dont have to fight a war to do something 'good' just being nice is a very posative thing.
  3. Hmmm, to be completely honest I never thought about it. It's bad but I guess I'm not really a socially conscious person, volunteering etc is not my kind of thing, even though I do have time.

I would suggest with starting locally though, it's probably the small things that count such as volunteering at a local place etc. You don't have to do something huge, small things make a difference.
  4. Before I started having kids I used to spend a lot of time volunteering. I still do some pro bono work in the medical field. Most of my siblings are also involved in activities that try to raise social consciousness. I know what you mean about not having enough time to volunteer for something, but there are many many ways in which one can help. It all depends on where you live, how much time you have to give (a couple of hours a month or several hours a week), and what causes you believe in.

You can get involved with programs right in your neighborhood (anything from recycling to helping the homeless or taking a couple of hours a month to teach a class etc) or even across the world. There are so many little things one can do. Granted, they may not feel like anything significant on our part, but these things do add up and help to make the world a better place.
  5. You can also give money, I've made a new commitment to regularly donate every month, just like I pay my bills. So far I love doing it.
  6. There are so many things you can do :smile:

Don't let it overwhelm you, do one small thing once a day, or once a week.

Being kind and patient with an overworked grocery clerk can make a difference in her day. Drop off a ream or 2 of paper off at a school. Drop off used magazines and books to your local hospital. Clothes can go to women's career closets. Send a card to a sick friend. The possibilties are endless. These things are small, but can make a big difference to those you help.

If you want to volunteer, check with your local food bank. They often have a certain day for 'drop ins'.

As far a donations go, if I see something that moves me, I sit down and send it right off. I also give the Red Cross, which is an excelllent all around, first responder orginization.
  7. Socialite, you're right. I do that all the time. I just feel like maybe I should do 'something more' -- it might just be the result of all the negative news, I don't know...

Tink, you make it sound like a one-step program. :lol: You're right though, I should just focus on doing one thing at a time. I know I can't be a big sister or anything, but there must be small things I can do.

These are good suggestions. There should be a big list of 'things you can do to make the world better' on a website somewhere. And then when people feel like this, they can go pick one that works for them and do it.
  8. ^^ Wow thanks Irishgal, that site is a great reference.

I've been looking for less than a minute and I already found some volunteer work in my area; I'll call them tomorrow! :love:

You girls are great.
  9. ^^Sometimes all you have to do is reach out and you will find what you are looking for, let us know what you end up doing!
  10. Irishgal, I'm sending an email to a person at bestbuddies.org -- maybe I can find a fellow knitter or something. :flowers: