When do you start giving an allowance? And how much?

1. I have 2 kids, one in middle school (11) and one in elementary (7). DH and I have never given them a set allowance. Their lunches are pre-paid or brought from home and their requests for toys & books are very reasonable. Christmas & both birthdays are lumped within one time period and they receive so many things (from their parties) that I end up storing them, giving little by little throughout the year.

How much would you give girls in those ages?

2. I started getting an allowance when I was around...8 or 9, I think. I honestly don't remember. I do know that it was somewhere in the 7-year time span that we lived in California (between ages 6-12)...I got around $3 a week. I mean, what does a kid that age need? Times were different then :p It was enough for me to go with my best friend to the Shopette and buy myself an Orbitz.

I never really needed money, but my parents would give me some when I went to the mall with friends in my teen years.

3. I've been wondering the same thing. I think my 5 year old is ready for an allowance, but I haven't come up with a plan yet.

4. My son is not old enough for an allowance, but I remember that I started getting an allowance from my dad at 7 years of age. It started at 6 dollars a week. At ten he raised it to 10 dollars a week. From 16 til now I get a monthly allowance at bit of a higher rate.

I think it depends on where you live (that determines the cost of things), the level of financial responsibility your child can handle (and each child is different), plus you own financial circumstance.

5. I don't give my son a set allowance yet, simply because I don't want him to get it into his head that you can be paid for simply existing. So he does small extra chores around the house - help wipe the kitchen floor, take the trash out etc, and he also goes to SO's parents house and helps them with weeding, stacking bits of firewood etc and gets paid for those. He doesn't get paid for keeping himself and his immediate surroundings clean.

It works well for now. If you ask him what he's going to spend his earnings on, he says 'college'!

6. I think giving a child an allowance is important because it teaches them money management skills and responsibility. I remember the first lesson my allowance taught me. So, I got my six dollars one week and immediately spent it all on candy.

My friends were going to Chuck E. Cheese and were spending money on games. I couldn't go because I didn't have any money left! So at the end of that week I was stuck with a bellyache and no money to go out with friends, and my Dad refused to take pity on me.

An invaluable life lesson, I tell ya. It feels like yesterday!

7. :roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

I quite agree!

Actually i started getting an allowance when I was a little bit older and was allowed out with friends alone - 9 years or thereabouts. I've had similar experiences!

8. I know what you mean. I don't want to pay them for things they should be doing. As for simply existing...that's why I'm a little stumped. I did have an allowance when I was growing up and it helped a lot with my own self-control as an adult.

I'm just uncertain whether I should give to both, with the same amounts or different, etc. My girls are mostly interested in books, no ipods, nail polish, cds, none of that. For now.

9. My 5 yr old has chores he is assigned, or asked to do throughout the week. At the end of the week, if he has listened well, and done what I have asked him to do the first time I ask, he earns a pack of baseball cards at the end of the week. This is a huge deal to him, and if he doesnt earn his cards, he is sooo disappointed, so this reward is motivation for him to make sure he is listening and helping.

10. I do not get an allowance (I am 16). I think that instead of giving allowances in a monetary form parents should give it in a gift form i.e. each child can have one special gift every friday or whatever. Children should be children and the extra weight of can I afford this and that should not be put upon them until IMO they are at least 18!

11. I'm not a parent yet. But I started getting an allowance when I was around 5.

We had a wood coffee table in our living room. It had a compartment for newspapers and a open area for shoes (it's hard to explain :p). My "play" area was the coffee table. I started to get a quarter a day if I kept the area clean, i.e....put away my toys, cleaned up my markers, cleared off the top for dinner and if we were going to have company over. It worked well and I was able to say the money. But I'm also an only child, so it might have been easier for my parents to come up with a system.

As I got older the amount went up, the most I ever got was $10-$15 a week, but my parents would also give me gas money and extra spending money when I really needed it.

12. All of mine get an allowance. But they have a chore chart, and they help with cleaning their rooms, putting their laundry in the hamper, putting their dishes in the sink when they are done. Being a big helper for mommy and daddy and being a good listener. (My 1 1/2 year old has the same chores but we added "Throw your diaper in the trash") At the end of each week they get $1.00. My kids are 5, 3, and 1 1/2. And they do help a lot!

13. My kids get an allowance but they have to do extra chores. They do the basics of keeping their room clean, homework done, etc., but then they have the extra chores of taking the dirty clothes from the hamper and putting it in the laundry area, taking clean clothes out of the dryer and folding them (love this one), clean up the table after meals, wash dishes, feed dogs and clean up dog poop. The little one is able to get me a diaper when I ask her for one and throw away her diaper in the trash can. She follows me around a lot so whenever I find something that needs to be thrown out, I'll give it to her and tell her to "throw it away" and she does. It's a start.