When did you start collecting?

A couple of years or so ago... I've always been into designer labels but my bags were not higher end, I used to mostly buy Guess, DB, Liz Claiborne, Nine West... then last year I got my first Chanel with my own hard earned cash, then went on to get a few Diors, and now into LVs. My lovely bf understands and fuels this passion,always suggesting and showing me new ones!

i had coach and kate spade in college, but i never really thought of them as high end designer. when i graduated from college 2 years ago i bought a lv speedy, and since then i've gotten a few more LV bags, marc jacobs, chloe, etc... all of them i've bought with my own money. it's really funny, bc even around a holiday or my bday when a family member asks if i want them to get me a new bag, i never feel ok with that... personally, i just love knowing i was able to buy it:heart: however, if a bf comes along in the future and wants to surprise me, i doubt i'll complain:P

I started collecting in ernest just this year in January when I discovered Koobas. Since then I have purchased 11 (and sold 2). A smattering of Gusttos, Tanos, and Linea Pelle are now thrown in for good measure.

i got my first designer bag when i was 18 i think, an ex-boyfriend took me to the Burberry flagship near Fifth Avenue and let me pick out a bag. i was so shocked by the prices of those bags and settled for a pouchette with the classic checkered pattern and red leather handle and i still love it. since then i bought myself a bigger version of the red leather trimmed burberry tote bag and matching wallet and many many more. if only i didn't go to that burberry store! i wouldn't be broke all the time now.

I guess it would have been my Kate Spade at 23. But I have a very different idea of what constitutes "designer" and "collectible" now than when I was 23 (7 years ago;))

Hi, I'm fairly new and was just wondering when you all started collecting handbags..

I'm a sophomore in high school...my parents think I'm wayyyy too young to be carrying LV or Chanel, but I'm already obsessed with designer handbags...

So far I only own a black leather wristlet from Coach, which I ADORE...but my birthday's coming up and I want an UPGRADE! :yes:

Any suggestions? ...preferably under $500 since I have to pay for it myself and I'm too young to work... :P

Thinking about :
~LV Mini Sac - too small?
~LV Speedy - most likely...price is a bitttt high for a high schooler though...
~LV Pochette Accessoires - anyone own this?? it looks like the perfect size and its a good price too!

Thanks! :tup:

I started 'collecting' just early this year, but I have been interested for a long time before that. I would totally go for the Speedy if you feel that the money is ok. The Pochette is cute but I tend to use it inside the Speedy or other bag to keep track of all the small things that I carry along. The Pochette itself is too small for an everyday bag imo. And you will have use for the speedy for many years to come!

Congrats on your birthday as well! :yahoo:

I think bags have always been in my genes - my very glamorous model mother used to keep all the bags from her shoots in the 60s/early 70s and I loved them! I probably bought my first expensive, long desired bag when I left university, but I was looking out for it long before then . . .! I don't really think of myself as a collector though - a passion for bags yes, but not someone who systematically wants to build a 'collection'.

I started collecting when I was 18 and its was dooney but I have upgraded since then. My first premier designer bag was the speedy 30, I call it my first true love.

I have loved and collected handbags since I was nine years old, but I just started buying "designer" in the last year or so.

So it took me over 35 years of being bag crazy to notice the labels:roflmfao: