When did you get glasses?

1. I'm just curious, as I'm having a little bit of trouble with my eyes recently! I'm setting up an eye exam, no worries there. But I'm curious, at what age did you start to need glasses? For those who haven't had glasses for life, how did you realize that you needed them?

2. I first started wearing glasses when I was 5 or 6.

3. I've had them since I was about 6 or 7.

4. When I was 14. I went to a regular eye exam, and found out I needed glasses for seeing far away.

5. since i was in 1st grade...so about 6 yrs old..im 20 now!

im at -7.5 on each eye!

6. I started using glasses when I was in 6th grade, so like around 11 or 12 years old. My nephew started using glasses when he was 5 or 6.

7. Yeah, see, I'd assume that most people would figure it out around grade school, but my vision's always been fine. I'm 26 and I'm only now having problems. But my mom was the same way, turned 24 and suddenly needed glasses, I'm wondering if anyone else experienced that?

8. 2nd grade! Just through a regular annual eye exam.

ETA: My friend started thinking things were a little fuzzy, and so she made an eye appt and it ended up being how much she was on the computer so now she has a pair for being on the computer. YOur eyes can get worse at any point in your life, and some people are lucky and never have problems. Just make an appt with your eye dr - or get a rec from a friend - the only way you'll be able to figure out if you really need a prescription or not.

9. 12.....but I don't wear them regularly. I haven't in months. I plan to get eye surgery eventually.

10. I was 10 when I first got glasses... I never realized my vision was bad, but the school nurses check our vision and hearing every year. I had to get a further exam, and found out I needed 'em. I was so embarrassed about wearing them, but then my dad had to tell my 4th grade teacher I got them so she made me put them on in front of everyone!

Thank goodness for contact lenses! Anyone here had lasik done on their eyes?

11. I started wearing them when I was 9. The doctor told me I should have gotten them at age 7. I got my first pair of contacts when I was 20, since they didn't make them for astigmatisms as high as mine until 1999.

12. i've had a prescription for glasses since i was 7. i remember picking out my first pair...they were these HUGE 80s purple and green plastic frames. my mom and the eye place lady both tried to tell me they were grown up glasses (as in they didn't fit my little baby face), which of course made me want them more. they were purple dangit! i've had glasses ever since, but usually fought about wearing them. i only started wearing them on a regular basis about four years ago when the headaches became debilitating and i noticed squinting wrinkles forming. wrinkles are NOT ok at 19! hehe. now i think i look weird when i put in my contacts for a night out or something.

there's lots of cute styles out there now...and there's always contacts. if you need your eyes fixed, really...just do it. it totally improves your quality of life.

13. Not till I was 30 or so! I was at a concert in the balcony of a church and suddenly realized "hey, I can't see the choir very clearly!!" Off to the optometrist. I'm mildly near sighted, but my prescription continues to get stronger. when it stabilizes, I'm considering Lasik.

14. 7th grade- 12 or 13 y.o. At first I only wore them in class to see the board but eventually started wearing them for almost everything- from the time I get home to when I go to sleep.

15. When I turned 18? I failed my sight test or w/e it's called at the DOT... so I had to get glasses. :sad: