What's YOUR ratio? Bag$ to shoes$? Car$ to house$? House$ to bag$?

Hmmm...I'd definitely say that handbags rank pretty high on my list of priorities right now. I'm 28, single, have no kids, and have spent so much of my time in school and have almost literally just gotten out. I see buying really nice handbags as a way to reward myself in the short term. I have significantly pared down my collection and will hold onto those few bags that I love and a few more that I can use for every day. I don't imagine spending so much on them in the future. I have 2 more "regular leather" Birkins coming, and I plan to buy a fabulous ostrich Birkin for my 30th birthday and a croc Kelly for my 35th, and probably no more after that. I'm also saving a significant portion of my money to prepare for what may come down the road for me. I'm hoping that includes my own place, which hopefully will come soon, but I'm in no rush. In the meantime, I'm sticking with my 6-year-old modest car that got me thru graduate school and all my T-shirts and jeans. I have just a few nice designer dresses and pieces and a few pairs of designer shoes. Again, I've pared down in this area, too. I do go out to eat a lot, and I'm looking to cut some expenses there. A new car is in the future, and though I enjoy a smooth ride in my friends' SUVs and luxury cars, it's not a priority to me to have that all the time, so even when I do get a new car, I'll look for another modest car, just something a little bigger and more powerful.

Wow major kudos to both of you!!! I too have four children, and my third child, my son, is high-functioning autistic as well. He's improved socially slowly, slowly...his academics are far above and he's spending lots of time in the gen ed class this year. We've enrolled him one non-school organization for socialization purposes once a week, just to get him used to being with different people.
Like you, he's bright, happy and smart. It's just the social thing. It's like he doesn't quite know what to talk about, or how to "make friends" on the playground in the usual way.
When you deal with things like that, bags just don't seem so important......
Just know you're not alone!!! ((hugs)) :heart::heart:

Thank you for sharing your story, too. I really admire parents who are involved like you are, and best of luck to your son and your family.

Hmmm...I'd definitely say that handbags rank pretty high on my list of priorities right now. I'm 28, single, have no kids, and have spent so much of my time in school and have almost literally just gotten out. I see buying really nice handbags as a way to reward myself in the short term. I have significantly pared down my collection and will hold onto those few bags that I love and a few more that I can use for every day. I don't imagine spending so much on them in the future. I have 2 more "regular leather" Birkins coming, and I plan to buy a fabulous ostrich Birkin for my 30th birthday and a croc Kelly for my 35th, and probably no more after that. I'm also saving a significant portion of my money to prepare for what may come down the road for me. I'm hoping that includes my own place, which hopefully will come soon, but I'm in no rush. In the meantime, I'm sticking with my 6-year-old modest car that got me thru graduate school and all my T-shirts and jeans. I have just a few nice designer dresses and pieces and a few pairs of designer shoes. Again, I've pared down in this area, too. I do go out to eat a lot, and I'm looking to cut some expenses there. A new car is in the future, and though I enjoy a smooth ride in my friends' SUVs and luxury cars, it's not a priority to me to have that all the time, so even when I do get a new car, I'll look for another modest car, just something a little bigger and more powerful.
Handbags are for FUN!! You are young, single and building your life! They should be high your prioirty list! Thanks for the kind note! One of the reasons we moved to Scottsdale from Philadelphia was for a school where my son gets OT 4 times per week! At school!!! I truly admire you for choosing the profession you did! Where would we be without you?

Wow major kudos to both of you!!! I too have four children, and my third child, my son, is high-functioning autistic as well. He's improved socially slowly, slowly...his academics are far above and he's spending lots of time in the gen ed class this year. We've enrolled him one non-school organization for socialization purposes once a week, just to get him used to being with different people.
Like you, he's bright, happy and smart. It's just the social thing. It's like he doesn't quite know what to talk about, or how to "make friends" on the playground in the usual way.
When you deal with things like that, bags just don't seem so important......
Just know you're not alone!!! ((hugs)) :heart::heart:
JCHIARA: Your son sounds alot like my NLD son. How is he liking his non-school organiztion? BTW, I LOVE your signature pic!!!!!

As a HS student, I live with my parents so I spend nothing on housing, furniture, healthcare, and food. Nearly all of my disposable income goes towards:
1. Bags and accessories (always bought by me unless for christmas or birthday)
2. clothes (I buy all the nicer, designer peices myself with more basic, cheaper items (Gap, Ralph Lauren, Express, etc.) paid for by my parents)
3. shoes (though most of my more expensive pairs were gifts)

I like art but am perfectly happy with a print rather than an original. When I get a car it will be paid for by my family.

You won't ever want to live in SG if you use the "car" benchmark. Seriously. For example, a Porsche Cayenne S costs USD325K (S$490K) here and it's USD60K in the US.

That is crazy. I had no idea prices would change that drastically. For that you could buy the car and a boat in US and float it there yourself.

I am so touched by all the very personal stories on this thread. A very big hug to all those trying to have a baby and to all mothers. Our kids are all important, we do what we can to ensure that they have a happy future.

To all you lovely ladies trying to have a baby, sending you all love and good vibes. I do believe that one day you will all be blessed with children. I know you all will be fantastic mothers.

To all you lovely ladies with autistic children, I admire your strength, courage and love. Best wishes to you and your children.

Wow.
I am just so touched by the stories here (and via PM). I think sometimes we all get so caught up in the fun and whirlwind of buying buying buying drooling selling buying that we forget that each and every posting ID here has a real live human being behind it, and she (or he) has personal stories and personal struggles that are each incredibly unique.
I thank you all for sharing about your children, or your quest to have children. And I thank you all for your incredibly kind wishes extended to me and my family, and those sent to PBC, and luv2shophandbag, and everyone else. I'm honestly touched and kind of speechless, actually--and that doesn't happen all that often. ;) :heart: :heart:

On a slightly different note, GOOD GOD the Singapore government must be rolling in gold dust. 130% taxes on a car?! Oy vey iz mir.

Wow.
I am just so touched by the stories here (and via PM). I think sometimes we all get so caught up in the fun and whirlwind of buying buying buying drooling selling buying that we forget that each and every posting ID here has a real live human being behind it, and she (or he) has personal stories and personal struggles that are each incredibly unique.
I thank you all for sharing about your children, or your quest to have children. And I thank you all for your incredibly kind wishes extended to me and my family, and those sent to PBC, and luv2shophandbag, and everyone else. I'm honestly touched and kind of speechless, actually--and that doesn't happen all that often. ;) :heart: :heart:

On a slightly different note, GOOD GOD the Singapore government must be rolling in gold dust. 130% taxes on a car?! Oy vey iz mir.
Cynthia!!! You're a member of the tribe!!!