What's your favorite movie classic?

1. In my life so far I've watched lots and lots of movies but they have all been movies that were fairly current when I watched them. As a result, I've only seen movies from the late 70's through today (I'm in my 30's...).
    Anyway -- I'd like to start watching some of the "classics" -- I feel like there are lots of references to these older movies in life, and I feel like I'm missing out on some great cinema.

Can you please tell me your favorite old movie and why you like it ? Also what type of movie genre it is (i.e. drama, horror, comedy, tearjerker, etc).

Thanks, and look forward to reading the replies and compiling a new movie list!!

2. Gone With the Wind is my ultimate classic. It's dramatic and tragic. I find it spectacular because after all these years it's still beautiful and story still interesting.
    I watch this every christmas :biggrin:
  3. Best tearjerker IMO is The Way We Were with Barbara Streishand and Robert Redford. It's definitely a must-see. A great musical is West Side Story.
  4. For comedy the original Odd Couple movie is a riot! I think it was filmed in the 60's. Another good comedy is Some Like it Hot w/ Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemmon and Dean Martin (i think??). So funny!
    To Catch a Thief (it may be considered a mystery or drama)which is set in the south of France and stars Grace Kelly and Cary Grant. It was probably filmed in the early 60's. Another good one is Rear Window--a Hitchcock film--w/ Grace Kelly and Jimmy Stewart.
    And The Graduate is a must!! Dustin Hoffman and Anne Bancroft (Mrs. Robinson!) So good!
    Oh! Bonnie and Clyde!! Good!
    Can you tell I love old movies?
  5. I love old movies! I especially love Hitchcock.

Psycho (horror/thriller) I like this movie because it's scary without the use of gore that movies nowadays have.

Bonnie & Clyde (drama) The acting is superb. The cinematography is beautiful. The costumes are gorgeous, especially everything that Faye Dunaway wears. This is one of my favorites.

Rear Window (drama/ thriller)

Gone With the Wind (drama)

Vertigo (drama)

The Birds (thriller)

Breakfast At Tiffany's (drama)

Rebel Without a Cause (drama) James Dean is amazing in this.

The Shining (horror/ thriller) This movie is so damn scary. Don't watch this alone.
  6. OMG I love that movie the way we were. I 'd say romantic? anyhoo this is definately a must see. The women(1939) drama/comedy it's based on the pampered lives of rich manhattan socialites and their power struggles there arent any males in the film but they are much talked about the theme is their relationships with the men love it!
  7. The Wizard of Oz - the quintessential classic movie.
    Animal Crackers - The Marx Brothers. Enough said.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Monty Python. Enough said.
    Bedknobs and Broomsticks - Angela Lansbury plays an apprentice witch who takes in three orphans.

And I agree with Gone With the Wind.
  8. Great movie suggestions so far!

I absolutely love Alfred Hitchcock movies. I've seen almost all of them, but Rear Window is definitely my favorite.

I also looooove Breakfast at Tiffany's (I guess it would be considered a Drama, but it's kind of like an early J Lo/ Kate Hudson/ Julia Roberts kind of romantic dramatic comedy)...

My other favorites:
    -The Ten Commandments starring Charlton Heston. It's an epic historical drama, similar to modern movies like Troy. It has beautiful sets and costumes, and the best actors and special effects of its time.
    -How to Marry a Millionaire starring Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable and Lauren Bacall. I would put it in the same category as Breakfast at Tiffany's, but it's a little older. Very funny/romantic/cute.
    -Miracle on 34th Street-- the original with Natalie Wood. I've just always loved the story. It's the only Santa that never creeped me out :shrugs:
    -National Velvet starring Elizabeth Taylor, Angela Lansbury and Mickey Rooney when they were really young. It's about a girl who trains a wild horse and poses as a male jockey in races. I think it would be considered a family drama. It saw it when I was little and I've loved it ever since!
  9. Also . . .

The Sound of Music - The music is wonderful and I love Julie Andrews.
    Mary Poppins - Again, wonderful music and it's got Julie Andrews.
    My Fair Lady - Admittedly, the only Audrey Hepburn movie I've seen, but I love it.
  10. I love Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? with Katherine Hepburn, Sidney Poitier, and Spencer Tracy. Also love Casablanca.
  11. Even though this isn't as old as the other movies mentioned, I'd have to say Forest Gump. It's meaningful and sad, and is still considered by many to be a classic.
  12. wow! great suggestions... Hopefully I can start renting these movies soon :smile:
  13. To Have and Have Not - Bogie & Bacall at their best and bonus for falling in love

Arsenic and Old Lace- Classic Cary Grant
  14. These are my favorite Classic movies:

Arsenic and Lace (Carey Grant Movie)
    Gone with the Wind (Vivian Leigh, Carey Grant)
    Steel Magnolias (Julia Roberts, Shirly Maclaine, Dolly Parton)
    Psycho (Janet Leigh, Alfred Hitchcock Film)
    Pretty Woman (Julia Roberts, Richard Gere)
    Breakfast at Tiffany's (Audrey Hepburn)
    Roman Holiday (Audrey Hepburn)
    My Fair Lady (Audrey Hepburn)
    Charades (Audrey Hepburn)
    The sound of music (Julia Andrews)
    Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews)
    Whatever happened to Baby Jane (Bette Davis)
    A Raisin in the Sun (Sidney Poiter)
    Cleopartra (Elizabeth Taylor)
    Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Elizabeth Taylor)
    Casablanca (Humprey Bogart)
    Royal Wedding (Fred Astaire)
    Champagne (Silent Film directed by Hitchcock)
    Guess who is coming to dinner (Katherine Hepburn, Sidney Poiter)
    Carmen (Dorothy Dandrige)
    Some like it hot (Marilyn Monroe)
  15. An Affair To Remember - Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr