What's your approach to color in your handbag collection?

As far as my bag collection goes, I mainly stick with neutrals. The same can be say with the clothes in my closet.

Here is what I have in mind for my ideal collection:
- 2 Blacks with silver hardware (formal, casual)
- 2 Blacks with gold hardware (formal, casual)
- 2 Browns with gold hardware (monogram, damier ebene)
- 2 Greys (formal, damier azur)
- 2 Beiges (formal, casual)
- 1 Navy and 1 Bordeaux

:smile:

As far as my bag collection goes, I mainly stick with neutrals. The same can be say with the clothes in my closet.

Here is what I have in mind for my ideal collection:
- 2 Blacks with silver hardware (formal, casual)
- 2 Blacks with gold hardware (formal, casual)
- 2 Browns with gold hardware (monogram, damier ebene)
- 2 Greys (formal, damier azur)
- 2 Beiges (formal, casual)
- 1 Navy and 1 Bordeaux

:smile:
Like this a lot!

Reactions: prepster
Red and yellow and pink and greens, purple and orange and (muted) blues, (off)-white to black (with gold) and all greys throw in rusts, browns and tans, silver-gun metallics too. I can wear a rainbow (but not all at once) blend into the hillside or go urban warrior neutral.

Easier to see the not-me colours:
Taupe/greige/beige/mushroom
Most bright or light blues
Iced mauve or Barbie pinks
Raspberry or blue-winey reds
Most pastels and ice-cream colours
Neons

That's a great way to look at it too - there are certain shades/colours I wouldn't wear. I don't like pastels or neons either so can't really see myself ever buying a bag in those colours. I'm not a fan of burgundy/maroon (for all that I KNOW it is supposed to be a big trend this coming season) and I don't own any greens. I think I've reached an age where I can admire something on someone else (I saw a fabulous icy mint green Birkin on the coveteur the other day - stunning!) but I don't need to own it for myself.

I like the idea of identifying what colors I wouldn't wear . . . only there don't seem to be any! I fall into the colorful bag, colorful wardrobe approach mkpurselover outlined so succinctly, but I have plenty of purses in colors I would never wear in clothing. I have very pink-toned skin, so I rarely wear pink clothing . . . but I just bought two pink bags, and I can't get enough of them! And I never wear orange, but I have this little Big Buddha orange clutch that continues to survive all of my closet purges.

I don't have many light-colored bags because I am so nervous about color transfer--I loooooovvve dark denim---but that's not because I dislike the colors themselves.

I guess this is why I have almost 50 purses in total?

Last edited:
I like mulberry oxblood, blue & oak/brown.
Black bothers me, except for formal/dress or edgy/rebellious occasions.
Bit of warm, zing colors.
And 1 forest green.
Plus a suede bag, for patting.

Most match colors I wear often. Except forest green--but easy to mix in.
Most have coordinated leather wallet/make up case/pouch. Because my personality quirks demand such nonsense.:biggrin:

Here's closet view. Decided to stuff dust bags with tissue, put inside handbags--easier to see/change out.
Large bags, wallets/pouches & woc/clutches:
View attachment 3449226
Small/medium bags(white dusty over black chanel):
View attachment 3449236
Hope helps.
I mostly gave black, dark blue, camel/ brown. So all neutrals. I also have one forest green bag which I don't use much so would love ideas how you style it. Love love your approach to colour, they all look great and very wearable.

I love color! But I try to be judicious with it. For work I carry a saffiano Prada in a nude beige color, big enough to tote a full size iPad.
On the weekends, I love cross body's and clutches. I do wear bright colored dresses or tops but I wouldn't shy away from carrying a cobalt blue clutch, with say white jeans and an orange top. Now I wouldn't wear blue earrings and blue shoes with the outfit I just described. I have white, blue, coral red and nude beige thus far. I want a yellow and a pink.

I mostly gave black, dark blue, camel/ brown. So all neutrals. I also have one forest green bag which I don't use much so would love ideas how you style it. Love love your approach to colour, they all look great and very wearable.
Thank you for kind words.:smile:

Wear my forest green bag with scarf (or shoes) containing green--as have few green clothes. To create color link.
Deadly ponies handbag = casual/slouchy NZ deer nappa. Can go edgy to sweet.

Here is photo I posted:
http://forum.purseblog.com/attachments/deadly-ponies-mr-fnz-zombie-shoes_resized-jpg.3374785/
Worn with converse zombie shoes.

Here is another:
http://forum.purseblog.com/attachments/h-de-la-mer-au-ciel-d-p-mr-fill-n-zip-jpg.3325312/
Worn with hermes shawl.

Hope helps.

I think most of us fall into one of four groups, the neutral wardrobe/neutral bag group, the neutral wardrobe/colorful bag group, the colorful wardrobe/neutral bag, AND then me - the colorful wardrobe/colorful bag group!! Cool colors - purples, blues, and red/pinks make up my bags, with a blue/green for variety, (and a pewter bag I never use).
Very well put- I am so god damn neutral, it's quite worrying actually. I think I need a little touch of colony now and then. Why don't you use the pewter bag? It sounds nice.

Very well put- I am so god damn neutral, it's quite worrying actually. I think I need a little touch of colony now and then. Why don't you use the pewter bag? It sounds nice.
Hi dear Lady Sarah, I don't wear neutral much these days! However, I have a brand new Massaccesi coming in River Blue Vachetta, very dark. This will be a neutral for me!
Please wear your bottle green Kelly, and your navy Chanel! Oh, and your pink Chanel bowler. Plus you have a colorful le pliage (or 2)! See, you have color!:tup:

I live in NYC so I have a lot of black bags but a few neutrals too (gray, taupe, white). Lately I've tried to buy more color so my most recent purchases included raspberry red, hot pink, and electric blue. Would love to add another taupe bag, green bag, and a purple bag and I'll be set.

I just recently sold almost all of my bags and decided to regroup. I love all of the inspirational and colorful pictures on tPF, and have been so impressed at how one can completely change the color impression of a neutral bag with scarves and Twillies. This Fall I'm loving all of the deep reds but I don't want another burgundy bag, so I'm trying out a black suede and calf tote from Aerin with a red, black and gray Zebra Pegasus pochette, and a Ulysse in Rubis. Since I like everything to coordinate :rolleyes:, what I may do going forward is buy fewer bags, but choose a new seasonal scarf and some matching accessories in a fun color with a neutral bag.

IMG_2372.jpg

I just recently sold almost all of my bags and decided to regroup. I love all of the inspirational and colorful pictures on tPF, and have been so impressed at how one can completely change the color impression of a neutral bag with scarves and Twillies. This Fall I'm loving all of the deep reds but I don't want another burgundy bag, so I'm trying out a black suede and calf tote from Aerin with a red, black and gray Zebra Pegasus pochette, and a Ulysse in Rubis. Since I like everything to coordinate :rolleyes:, what I may do going forward is buy fewer bags, but choose a new seasonal scarf and some matching accessories in a fun color with a neutral bag.

View attachment 3461924

Ok so I really want your scarf lol. I have the Ulysse in dark red and love it.