What's up with the girnomous sale/discount with Chloe?

I don't buy based on trends I buy what I like and I liked a paddy and I bought it. However I do think about price. I think 1600 dollars is too much for a paddy. For me, I'm not going to buy it at that price. I can buy another Chanel for all that dough. I love my paddies and I have paid full price for one (1340 plus tax), but sometimes it's just too much. I bought a mousse paddy and I returned it when I realized I paid more than I wanted to for it.

I think it's a personal choice. If you want to pay full price, go for it. Especially if you love love love it and are not just getting another bag for the sake of another bag. If you want to wait, wait.

nycmom said:
i totally agree (which is how i got started with chloe since balenciaga is everywhere in nyc right now)...
exactly, even the balenciaga I have is not one of the styles EVERYONE has, just what I like to do, and don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be anti anything, I love these designers, I just like when I have something that doesn't look exactly like everything else, like the Louis that they don't bother making fakes of because they aren't popular enough...

I love the fact that they went on sale, and I was able to get 3 Chloe bags at steep discounts from Nordstrom. Thanks to the nice ladies of this purse forum, you posted about them being on sale, I made the calls and found 3 more for my collection.

I have a few that I paid full price for, and a few that I got for a steal. I don't buy to resell, I only buy what I like, I don't care if it's in or not. I buy what I like.

It sucks if you paid full price and the see the exact bag on sale, but that's the way it goes, we all know this can happen. I believe only LV and Hermes don't do sales, and that's fine. But I do not feel a sale cheapens any bag I have, I am thrilled to get anything on sale. this goes for Chanel, Fendi, etc.

That said, I noticed on the Bettys I've seen recently, the leather is a lot thinner. I'm glad I bought mine when I did, my leather is thick.

Rai

If I happen to see one I want on sale, then great but if I want a specific color in a chloe bag, I'll pay full price to ensure I get it. Most of the bags I see at deep discounts weren't my choice in color and/or style, so for me, it's not worth it to wait and see, unless I'm not that excited about it. It would be disappointing to pay full price and see the identical bag on sale, but oh well...I'd be more disappointed if I missed out because I took a chance on thinking it might go on sale and lost.

Just backed from hk! all the big store are having sales on CHLOE BAGS! esp some off-season color for paddington, most style from betty, gladys and also silverado python bag like 50% off!

I was a bit upset since silverado is kinda like a permanent style to me.. and I dont understand why they discount the bag.. I saw huge amount of stock on paddington on each department store since they all over-stocked.

also 40% off on chloe choes and clothes as well.

i was thinking about this today and decided if i buy a bag at full price and gets lots of wear and pleasure from it i'm okay if it ends up on sale after awhile...but if i haven't even used it yet (which sad but true does happen as i have a couple in their dustbags at the moment waiting for fall/winter or who knows what) i'd be really pissed off to see it significantly marked down before i'd had the chance to enjoy it. and because of the sales this spring i ended up with a few bags i probably wouldn't have otherwise but am really loving now (such as the grey betty which i would have been nervous about because of the light color but so far so good and it's one of my favorites at the moment)!

nycmom said:
i was thinking about this today and decided if i buy a bag at full price and gets lots of wear and pleasure from it i'm okay if it ends up on sale after awhile...but if i haven't even used it yet (which sad but true does happen as i have a couple in their dustbags at the moment waiting for fall/winter or who knows what) i'd be really pissed off to see it significantly marked down before i'd had the chance to enjoy it. and because of the sales this spring i ended up with a few bags i probably wouldn't have otherwise but am really loving now (such as the grey betty which i would have been nervous about because of the light color but so far so good and it's one of my favorites at the moment)!
I totally agree, that's kinda what I've been getting at, if I paid full price and used the bag for 6 months it wouldn't bother me nearly as much. Honestly I'm still a little bothered that bergdorf sold the Betty cheaper in the store than online the very same day I bought mine, told me that was the case and then told me they wouldn't honor the same price! I LOVE it so I'll just deal......it did take away from the joy of the purchase a little though......But I'll tell ya, I got the Ivory, sprayed a ton of protector on in and it's doing great, no stains, breaking in awesome, the leather gets softer and softer every day, I tied a little pucci scarf on it, and I know I'll love it for years to come, it's such a simple chic bag....

Lola24 said:
I totally agree, that's kinda what I've been getting at, if I paid full price and used the bag for 6 months it wouldn't bother me nearly as much. Honestly I'm still a little bothered that bergdorf sold the Betty cheaper in the store than online the very same day I bought mine, told me that was the case and then told me they wouldn't honor the same price! I LOVE it so I'll just deal......it did take away from the joy of the purchase a little though......But I'll tell ya, I got the Ivory, sprayed a ton of protector on in and it's doing great, no stains, breaking in awesome, the leather gets softer and softer every day, I tied a little pucci scarf on it, and I know I'll love it for years to come, it's such a simple chic bag....

Lola, which protectant did you spray on it? Thanks!

I have the same concern but with the large Paddy. I have it on hold at Nordies in theChoco with the front pocket, I know it is a classic, but do you guys think I'll find it on sale in the near future? Should I wait, or get it now?? I really love the leather and the chocolate color is really nice, I just hate to pay $1860- only to see it go on sale shortly!

Please help me decide!

fayewolf said:
Lola, which protectant did you spray on it? Thanks!
believe it or not, just a Kiwi stain and water repellant for shoes...as long as it's one of those quick drying, not darkening types I use it, I've found over the years to just compare ingredients and they're all kind of the same regardless of price.....

The Bag Queen said:
I have the same concern but with the large Paddy. I have it on hold at Nordies in theChoco with the front pocket, I know it is a classic, but do you guys think I'll find it on sale in the near future? Should I wait, or get it now?? I really love the leather and the chocolate color is really nice, I just hate to pay $1860- only to see it go on sale shortly!

Please help me decide!
I'm not quite sure what to recommend for you, you never really know if there is a lot of that bag out there or not, but based on this situation we do know that the production of everything has been increasing and if there are bags left over they WILL go on sale.....

You can't wait for things to maybe go on sale to buy the bag you love. Chances are the one you want won't be the one on sale! Remember, it's mostly returns or unpopular colors that go on sale.

This past spring was the first time Chloe went on sale with such a big discount (and it was only on "left over" items they wanted to clear the floor with). The ordering for this fall is much more conservative. Most stores will only be ordering and carrying what they know will sell at full retail cost.

As for the Betty and Gladys my SA says they went on sale because they weren't moving from the floor at all. Paddington sales in the future will be rare, unless a store ordered a ton of metallics or unpopular colors (I think they learned their lesson though).

I have done quite a bit of traveling this summer and I didn't see any Chloe's on sale, despite visiting quite a few different Nordy's in different states. I think that the Chloe may have stepped production up to meet demand which was there say, a year ago, and then the demand slowed down a little bit. I agree with the previous post, I think they have learned their lesson and I doubt that this will occur again (just my guess!)

That said, I just bought a chocolate brown pocket satchel and I love it. In the past I thought they were a bit trendy but after seeing them in the stores I changed my mind. I was undecided on color until I saw the choco brown. I have had tons of compliments on it and I really feel that it might become harder to find as fall approaches. I debated about returning mine but can't bring myself to do it!