What was your "gateway" bag?

I was fairly into Coach and D&B for a couple of years, and then my obsession with "designer" purses really broke out when my grandmother bough me a Louis Vuitton pochette on a trip to NY a couple of years ago. I've escalated to everyhting under the sun now! I have a cery varied collection. But recently I've been into vintage purses!

I found a Marc by Marc Jacobs bag on the sale table at Bloomie's for $200 a few years ago. I never thought I could ever afford a "designer" bag and was shocked to find one for "only" $200, and even then I agonized over splurging for it. I had only bought cloth and faux leather bags before and that was the most I had ever spent on a bag. It opened my eyes to blowout handbag sales.

I think it took a lot of growing up and realizing what it important to me.

I had a lot of fake LV's for awhile back around 2000 in highschool. I never thought anything of it until I kind of matured and figured out I liked quality over quantity.

'01 I acquired a real Kate Spade messenger bag.

Then on to Coach.

Thhhhheeennnn onto vintage (real) Gucci and Louis Vuitton from my Grandma which def. made me appreciate real bags a helluvalot more.

And then my gateway bag which I bought this summer was my Chloe Tracey (which I still can't believe I own because I love her.)

I've been obsessed with quality and really loving a bag ever since.

LOL. Great topic. Gateway bag was Botkier, which I got at a sample sale. That eventually got me to full price Botkiers. Then I rationalized, if I got Botkiers full price, surely I could get MJ on sale. And it continued from there.

Love the idea of a "gateway purse" :graucho: hey, it's better than gateways to other things, right?

Splurged on a Kooba Sienna but, after a few months, fell out of love. Over a year later, found the forum and, bit by the bug, hunted down a gryson tate in camel! I realized then that a Balbag was closer than I thought and I never looked back ...

I always liked purses in high school, but they were from places like Aeropostale, Icing or Hot Topic (cute totes and such). My boyfriend bought me a Dooney and Bourke bucket bag two Christmases ago...I used that for awhile, went on to a nice leather Gap bag for a bit...then got into Vera Bradley.

After the VB phase, I started to like Tokidoki (spring/early summer of this year). Now i'm all about Coach! I eventually hope to buy a Balenciaga sometime before I die (haha), but i'm pretty content with Coach as a whole. Their style of bags are really "me".

boktier > balenciaga > marc jacobs > YSL > chanel > louis vuitton

now that I look at my bag progress..i really started pretty high-end in the first place and kept getting more and more high-end...ridiculous. I should've taken my time with my purchases.

This is a fun thread . . . I bought my first Coach when I was in 7th grade from money I saved babysitting and mowing lawns. I still have it. It is navy blue, all leather, and one of the beautiful Coach bags of that era (the late 80s). Over the years, I had several leather Coach bags and Dooney All-Weather Leather bags. A few years ago, I started adding a few Kate Spades. I have always liked purses, but maybe bought or received as gifts a bag or two a year at most.

Then this September I disovered Kooba and The Purse Forum, and it has all been downhill from there! Now I have Koobas, Botkiers, Louis Vuittons, and a Rebecca Minkoff. Unfortunately, I like lots of designers, which makes things even worse because there are so many options!