What to eat after late night workout?

1. I usually work out from 7-9pm and try to be in bed by 12. I know you're not supposed to eat a few hours before bed, but I'm always hungry after I work out! Can anyone recommend some filling, healthy foods I should eat after my workout? Thanks!

2. Eat something small, but substanial. A combination of carbs, protein and healthy fats should satisfy your appetite without weighing you down. Preferably in the 200-250 calorie range. Here are some suggestions.

Protein shake (either made with powdered whey protein & skim milk/water or a ready to drink shake), with 1/2 an apple and 1 tbsp. natural peanut butter.

Cut up veggies with one serving hummus; glass of skim or low fat milk.

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese with sliced fruit, such as strawberries, peaches, cantaloupe, pineapple, etc.

1 cup fat free greek yogurt (fage is the best brand - I love this stuff) with 1/4 cup blueberries or raspberries, top with 8-10 raw almonds. You can also put a serving of raisins or dried cranberries or apricots in there instead of fresh fruit.

Smoothie made with bananas and strawberries, 1 scoop whey protein powder, ice and skim / low fat milk or water.

HTH!