What to do?

1. if you just got a new job and do not like it. I just started this job this week and I do not like it. It is a job as a legal assistant which I have never thought about being. The lawyer that I got the job had different adds in the paper and I answered his add for a personal assistant and at the interview, he mentioned a job for a secretary answering telephones, filing papers, ect., but when I get to work Monday, I am doing all this work and I do not know what I am doing. He is a personal injury lawyer and the cases are long and a lot of information that I am not catching on to.

So, should I just stick the job out or should I start looking for another job.:confused1:

2. Definitely give it some more time. A month at least. It's hard to tell if you like a job right when you start. Also, can you tell him you need to be oriented to the office and have a clearer description of your duties?

3. Thanks for the reply, I think that thats what I will do, at least give the job one month before I decide to do anything. And I thought about telling him when he comes into the office tomorrow that I need a clearer description of my job. I think what has got me wanting to quit is the head paralegal that is training me is doing a good job but he rarely comes to the office, but he will call her and tell her what he wants her to train me doing which is where the problem is coming in at. I am going back and forth on my training which is kinda confusing me and making it hard to understand what to do. I will stick it out and see how the end of the month where I stand at with this job.

4. Stick it out for awhile longer, for sure. You know how any job at first is overwhelming as it is ALL new...even figuring out where the darn coffee pot, restroom and typing paper is! But, you've got a lot going on w/your position...so even longer, I would assume, to adjust. Like you said...communicate, definitely, w/your boss! Good luck...keep us posted! Oh...and congrats!!

5. thanks for the reply, I am just going to stick it out and communicate with my boss more and it within two months, if I dont like it still, I will start looking for another job. And I will keep you posted on how the job is going.

6. Good luck! :smile:

7. For sure find out exactly what your responsibilies are, and get a written job description if one is available. It is hard to like a job when you don't know what is expected of you. Plus, when it comes time for a performance review things can get sticky if you were not made aware as to how you would be rated or reviewed. In other words, an employee can be told "you did not do this and that" and the employee is saying "I did not know that was my role". Did that make sense?

8. Congratulations on your new job! It's sound demanding! It is always difficult starting a new job, so I can understand feeling a bit overwhelmed. I think it will take time for you to learn everything, so it's good you are going to give the job some time.

9. I think you made the right decision. When first starting a job you aren't to familiar with can be frightening. But before you know it I'm pretty sure you'll know what youre doing with your eyes closed.

10. Stick it out-
    it's never easy being the new person at a job, everything is so foreign.
    give it a little more time and see where it goes....

11. update on the job ladies; just when I am beginning to like the job and catch on to everything and get a complete feel of the job, the owner comes in and tells me that I will be getting paid by my billable hours of work. How this job works from my understanding is first, everything that I do in the office in reference to the case files, I have to document on a software called Learis. And since I am new to the job, the lady that is training me only gave me 13 files to be over and all of the files are at the same pace so there is a limit amount of work that I can do on each file.

So my boss calls me into the office today and tells me that I will be getting paid by my billable hours for the work that I do on each file that I have which he broke everything down to I should have at least 30 hours of billable work. Now when I took the job, I thought that I was getting paid a flat rate but now that is not so, which basically makes me kinda work on commission which I do not like working on and it is a law office that I work for.

So here I go again ladies, WHAT TO DO, KEEP THIS JOB OR START LOOKING FOR ANOTHER JOB???

12. I worked at a design firm. I had to have billable hours. It just meant that everything I did, I was doing for a specific client and had to account for my time.

I could not screw around and waste any time, or I would not be paid.

I got paid by the hour so it did not matter which client I did work for.

Sometimes I did filing and general work for the department. I still got paid my hourly, but this work could not be more than 20% of my day, and it had to be approved by my immediate supervisor.

Ask some more questions about how you will get paid.

13. A week is not alot of time. Ask for some clarification, and I hope it all works out.

14. Unless you are a certified paralegal, he is not allowed to pay you this way. Billable hours are typically used in defense work, not plaintiff's work. He is shafting you. I have worked in the legal field for 26 years. Do not let him pull this. Explain to him that this is not what you were told when you were hired, that you expect to be paid a flat rate, that you cannot budget for your expenses without knowing what your paycheck is going to be and this is not what you agreed upon. If he does not come around, look for another job while you are still employed, rather than quitting first. I would not stay in a position working for any attorney that tried to pull this. In my opinion, and with very long-term legal experience, this is not a good situation and I would no longer trust him. I would be concerned now about anything he mentiond while hiring you (any type of benefits, 401-K, pension/profit sharing).

I personally would look for another position. If you are skilled enough to be hired at this firm, you likely will be able to find another position at a differing law firm. Personal injury firms, in my opinion, are very high volume (huge caseloads), where the staff does most of the work with attorneys as figureheads and while some of them can be fine to work at, others are not as the attorneys can sometimes be unethical. I worked at such a firm for almost 4 years. It was terrible - I watched staff being treated horribly (things like you are mentioning).

I would get out there - do some interviewing, and then make a move.

15. Thank goodness you got in there with a bit of expertise, charleston-mum, had a feeling Sinarta was being taken for a ride...Put it down to experience, and next time, make sure you have all the details of your job described properly to avoid this kind of confusion, there's too many people out there ready to take advantage...not good!!:sad: