What to do in NYC at the beginning of JULY!??!

1. Hi everyone!!

I found out a while ago that we are going to NYC this summer... I know many of you are from the area and a lot have also visited, so I would really like your input on what to do while we stay there. We are staying somewhere near the island but I can't recall where (we'll be taking the train to Manhattan).

Anyways, I would like to know what you would suggest doing. I will be there my parents and sister (16 and myself, 19). I know they would like to visit some more "touristy" areas (Empire state building maybe? And Statue of Liberty... things like that), so I would really appreciate if you could give me some tips on what to do, where to go, what to avoid, etc.

I was thinking of going to see Legally Blonde on Broadway (it's a cult movie for me and my sister) and I would love to do the SATC Tour! I think shopping is pretty much crossed off the list (haha but I'm trying to finding a way to bribe my parents into going to BalNy :graucho:), although i was thinking of maybe going to Woodbury Commons on the way back home, so perhaps on the 9th or 10th...

So basically, any recommendation of interesting places to go and tips to avoid waiting or ideas of places that might seem interesting but that should, in fact, be avoided would be great. Also, perhaps ideas on interesting places to go shopping that isn't Bergdorf, Neiman's or Saks... or even discount stores (TJ Maxx and the equivalents maybe? The store names here are different :smile:)! All that, yes, would be insanely great!!!

We went last summer but we spent SO LITTLE TIME there... like a day and a half, which is very little, and we spent a lot of that time on 5th avenue and Times Square (as we went with my sister's basketball team and let's just say we all had very different opinions on what was a must-see/must-do) !!

Thank you SO MUCH in advance, I really appreciate the help!! :nuts: :yahoo:
  2. are you staying near staten island?
    I would go to the firework show on july 4th and also shopping in Manhattan.
    When I have family come in town I would also take them to a broadway play :smile:
  3. Honestly, I have no idea :roflmfao: I think I'll know a little later this week!

I'd looooveee to go see the fireworks but I don't know when we'll get there... I think we're leaving on the 4th and getting there like, late at night... living so far away up north, it kinda sucks :sad:

I definitely wanna see a Broadway play! :nuts:

Thanks for your input :tup:
  4. You should go down to the Meatpacking District for shopping at places like Jeffery. If you are into sightseeing, take a Circle Line cruise around Manhattan. You get to see the Statue of Liberty and its very relaxing. You could also go to the Top of the Rock which is Rockerfeller Center for a great view of everything for miles. If you in town on a Friday, they have concerts at the Today show and they are free.
  5. HBO does a summer film fest in Bryant Park that is fun. I visited my two best friends in NY in 2005 (they were doing summer internships), and we went to that. There are tons of people, and you can put out blankets and bring food and magazines or whatever, and just hang out until the movie starts. Once it gets dark they play the movie, which changes every week (they do it on Mondays). We did this my last night in the city and I'm so glad we did.
  6. Thanks so much for the ideas :nuts:

I know my parents want to do some sightseeing so I'll try to find out more about your suggestions, Hubba! :yes:

And wordbox, the film fest looks like so much fun!! :nuts: I hope they do it on days other than Mondays though cause I think we're gonna be there on Tuesday or Wednesday;... that's something I'll need to check!
  7. im so glad u started this thread since im going to NYC in july too!hope u have as much fun as i do!
  8. I am going to be in NYC the beginning of July as well! I totally forgot about July 4! Should be exciting!
    I am sure there will be lots to see and do, the bf and I are "winging" our NYC plans.
  9. When you get to NYC, pick up a copy of Time Out New York. It's online and in print. It's got a bit of everything in it and a real pulse on the city.
  10. go see Wicked, take a stroll through Soho
  11. JULY??? looking forward to sweating it out in Brooklyn Heights. Boo.