What to do about my collection? (LONG STORY)

First of all I really hope you can stay in NY because it seems to me that you really like living there. Instead of waiting for the one job to come through, apply to a bunch of other places too to increase your chances of getting a job and that work visa.

And I agree with everyone else here that your collection is too fabulous to sell off, especially the LE ones. If you do have to go back home, spend the extra money and fedex them back. I know you have a TON of stuff plus you will have to take back non-bag items so that's a lot of suitcases!

Good luck sweetie and keep us posted.:heart:

I'm from Malaysia too and move to HK to work 2.5 years ago. If I would have to go back to SG/MY for good, I guess I will ship all my stuff by ship/air but I will handcarry my LVs since I do not have much at this moment or my friends might be able to help me to handcarry them back since they go back once a month.

yeuxhonnetes, I sure hope things work out and you can stay right here in NY! Reading your thread makes me wish that we had a subforum for job listings or one for prayer requests. I promise, I will remember you in my thoughts and prayers for that hospital job to come through. Please don't be overwrought with worry, personally it helps me to step back from my thoughts, cares and worries and to get my world in perspective and remember that someone bigger than all of us is looking out for us and knows what is best for us.

Yeuxhonnetes, I'm sending you huge happy vibes and prayers that everything will work out the way you want! Making the change from university to your professional life is one of the hardest life changes we go through!

On a side note, bravo for your fabulous collection and actually USING all of it!! :wlae:Please try not to stress about how you would ship everything back to Malaysia...that may not even be in the cards for you just yet, and if so there are plenty of ways to pack/ship/insure all of your items. Just focus on this current job possibility first - you've got your foot in the door with two tpf'ers pulling for you there...and all the rest of us too. :heart::heart::heart:

I will also be hoping and praying that you are able to stay in NY! Don't worry too much about moving home yet until you are sure you will have to, otherwise you're just giving yourself more stress and worry that you might not have to deal with. If you do end up going back home you can cross that bridge when you come to it; I'm sure there are tPFers here who can give you lots of advice about the moving.

Would you be totally against going back to school? That would let you be able to stay here, right?

first of all, thank you all so much for your wishes :love:! and DesigningStyle, you're right, we should have a subforum for job listings, because it's so difficult to find a good job these days :mad:

i forgot to mention that these days it's become MUCH harder to find companies that are willing to hire foreigners, because they don't want to get into all that visa/immigration hassle, which is why so many of my friends are already going home.

also, thanks for all your packing/shipping suggestions. i think if i have to go home i'll just bring my Limited Editions and designer shoes in my luggage, and ship the rest home

Noooo! Please don't sell your collection! And I'm sure things will work out for you, there is still a lot of time for that hospital job to come through or for you to find another job. There is also the option of going back to school. I'm sure it will be fine! :flowers:

Whatever happens, Sandra. Don't sell your bags! You'll regret it. Plus sending *good vibes* hoping you will be able to say in NY as student or professional.

I hope you are able to stay, and that you get that job!!
You have some incredible bags......I couldn't bear to part with if I were you......good luck and let us know what happens!!!!!

Don't sell anything!!! I hope your potential new job works out for you but it good to have a contingency plan just in case. I think shipping in batches is a good idea so that you can confirm that each box got to your family's home. Be sure to take your jewelry with you in your carry-on instead of packing it.

I hope everything works out for you! Good luck! (You have a beautiful collection!!)

Just start saving up now and pack it all up and take it all. Not only would you have to buy everything again but what about the memories? I know that sounds silly but my speedy 40 has been alot of places with me and sometimes when I see it I think of the great memories I had while visiting these places.

I went through the OPT to H1 process last year. I understand your feelings. Hope everything will work out. Keep looking besides waiting for this interview. You never know what job opportunity might come up. Good luck!!!

its quite the work and stress of moving 'anywhere' so take a deep breathe and move them with u. u will be happy u did. dont sell them- keep them-just do a bit of prepping- thats' all.

goodluck!

Sandra, don't sell any of your lovely pieces! You love them and take care of them so dearly! I hope you do get to stay and that everything works out for you. If by chance you do have to go back to Malaysia, send your things little by little in boxes.

Look into companies like Jolly-B Box Express and "Balikbayan". ("Balikbayan" literally means "return to home with gifts" -- Filipinos everywhere use this to send items back home whether it's for family or personal items. You're charged per box and not by weight). There is also a website called international movers, that compares international moving rates.

Good Luck with everything Sandra!